1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ryan Bernardoni] Kings could be setting up to take Ryan Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jul 18, 2018.

1. basketballholic

That contract in return might turn out to be Melo himself....unless something even better comes along.

2. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

I might be ok with that, solely for Melo's bird rights. Only thing I would be concerned about is Melo knowing the Rockets have his bird rights, and asking for more in free agency. If Rockets give him the MLE, I believe he can only get a 120% raise next summer.

Even if we do an Anderson-Kings dump, I would at least prefer to get one of Shump, Z-Bo, or Koufas out of it. All expiring contracts, but bird rights to bring them back next season. That gives the Rockets both a TPE roughly around 10 mil depending on which of them they get, plus a mid-tier tradeable contract in the future if they re-sign.

jch1911 likes this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

lol - yeh, my bad - this is the 2nd offseason we've been tryin to move Ryno - it jus seems soooo much longer...

Add Melo to the mix, lock up CC, and I think we can make a run of it... add a surprise or two like Melton coming in strong or another GG type signing and we're in good shape.

If we can flip ryno and picks for anything with at least some possibility of a return (bazemore) - great, lets do it... but just letting Ryno sit on the bench for another season with the hopes that his expiring contract is going to turn into the salary matching silver bullet that's gonna net us some major acquisition is just not good business... with luxury taxes and repeat offender charges the actual cost of carrying Ryno is substantial - all to get a potential trade for a hypothetical player from another team that wants to get out from under his contract? And what if you don't get a deal to move him as an expiring - you ask Tilman to eat the loss and pay all those charges another year?

It'd be nice if the actual financial ramifications didn't matter - but I'm a realist... We just let Ariza walk bc obviously the team didn't want to pay 15M + all the additional taxes... nor do think they should have... but Ariza on a 15M expiring contract is a far better trade chip than Ryno's current 2 year contract...

Harden has his superubermax deal, Tilman stepped up and gave CP3 his 4/160, I trust he's gonna retain Capela... if he's gotta grease the wheels to get Ryno off the books (while we're still paying lux tax and repeat offender charges) - I can't fault him...
    From there it's Morey's job to lock up Melo and find us another cheap spark plug...
    and it's MDA's job to develop some talent - not just run the 7 or 8 guys he 'trusts' into the ground...

#243 kjayp, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    MarioKissoDeath and Jayzers_100 like this.
  4. fattz

fattz Member

The only reason anything happens is because of Tillman >> he is the only one truly fully vested.

Ownership vs fandom

5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

@KellyUnchained Thanks for your reply. Thanks for sharing any info!

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

Bogdan Bogdanovich would be a nice return piece from a HOU/SAC Ryno trade. He shoots over 4 threes a game and makes almost 40% of them.

ramotadab and Bearius Jones like this.
  7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha. Not even Divac would consider that for a second.

Reeko, ramotadab and justtxyank like this.
  8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I really want ZBo. I get that he wouldn’t make it on the court with us, but I want that person in our locker room.
    Memphis grit n grind always gave the Warriors a hard time. Draymond would never in a million years step to ZBo

ramotadab, whiskeyred and jb86 like this.
  9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Ryno for ZBo and Shumpert works but makes no sense for Kings to do that. Two expirings for Ryno is not a good deal.

jb86 likes this.
  10. Play07

Play07 Member

Morey always wanted shumpert

He’s on a $11mill expiring, he can be more useful than LUC.

King’s wanted Anderson before, so this makes sense

jb86 likes this.
  11. Play07

Play07 Member

Maybe they believe they can resign Anderson for cheap later and like his character, it’s his hometown, & can stretch the floor.

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Everything you said is true. But still makes more sense to wait for him to be a free agent and sign him cheap. Or at least wait one more year.

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Just realized it’s likely Sacramento don’t have a first rounder next year. So our first rounder just went up in value in a trade with them.

jch1911 likes this.
  14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Not necessarily. If we traded Anderson into cap space then we'd create a $20m trade exception. That would be incredibly valuable.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I want Ryan Anderson and his 20M contract moved off the Rockets for an asset so bad I can taste it.

It will be a glorious day when Anderson is moved. I will "click like" on that post and savor the moment!

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

But at this point what would you prefer? If we can't swap Ryan for another rotation player on a bad contract (your Bazemore my Porter Jr.). Which is preferred to you?

A) dump Ryan with an asset to save Tilman money on taxes

or

B) holding onto Ryan for future matching purposes for a good player in return.

I'm going B 10 times out of 10. I think Tilman needs to prove to us that he's going to spend. We let Ariza walk and there's nothing that could be positive from that except saving him money this season. Is dumping Ryan for the sake of dumping him a positive move? If we dump him and his salary is off the books next season, we don't magically have $20 million in cap space to spend and you know this better than anyone.

Ryan's contract today has value as low as it will be for the remainder of the 2 years. We know he'll have a streak in the season where he looks good. That combined with the fact that we will have around $5 million to add in cash to the deal to offset the remainder of his contract means that time is on our side.

The idea of a trade for the sake of a trade brings short term fun but I'm in the boat where I want both Melo and Ryan on this team in training camp unless we can get a valuable player in a trade involving Ryan like Bazemore or Porter.

ramotadab and Red Nation RGV like this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We will not get an asset by trading Ryan Anderson

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Of course it is B. I said "moved off the Rockets for an asset." I am not an idiot that just wants Anderson moved for the sake of moving him. Or moved to save Tilman money.

It is about obtaining an asset. Either a Trade Exception or a useful player or 2 players that are more liquid in trades for a 2nd move.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well, did anyone think Presti would get an asset in moving Melo? Schoeder's value can be debated. Moving the deck chairs to get something "useful" IS an asset. Another person's trash is another person's treasure. Right now, Anderson is 20M of worthless. An asset is ANY LEVEL about worthless.

So, less-sucky? yeah.

slothy420, D-rock, Nook and 2 others like this.
  20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I figured as much. There are so many who are just screaming to dump his contract. The Kings have the right players to make it work on expiring contracts but I don't like what they offer.

Then we don't trade him. We don't get money to spend by dropping him. It makes no logistical sense to just dump him unless it's all about saving tax money.