1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think Carmelo Anthony is likely to end up with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, May 29, 2018.

1. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I am assuming that the Rockets could trade Ryno and get a TPE that could be used to acquire someone. In such a case, the Rockets could trade for someone making as much as $20m. In this scenario, the acquired player could easily make more than the MLE. However, they are likely limited in how much LT they are willing to to pay for an additional rotation player (this assumes Capela resigns for more than the QO).

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What clear Ariza replacement is even out there that does what Ariza does better than Tucker? Defend all 5 positions if needed and hit open 3’s.

Your not getting a long athletic 6’8” + SF who can shoot 40% right now in free agency. Maybe they can pull off a trade but even then not sure what their options are.

A 3/4 rotation of PJ/Ennis/Melo isn’t the end of the world honestly. You probably move to more 3 guard rotations anyways where Harden is the 4 on defense. Technically you could even start Gordon and list Harden as your Ariza replacement.

I just simply think that people are over thinking this thing. Ariza was invaluable at times, but the other 80% of the time, I don’t think he was this pillar of the franchise you cannot replace with more minutes going elsewhere or some different type of looks.

Yes the team is going to take a step back on defense, but we can see a path forward to being even better offensively.

3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agree with you. Also, if Melton can progress to play at least 15 minutes per game and be a spark off the bench either backup up CP3 or the 2 or 3 spot that will help a lot with our versatility. Another potential 10-15 minute contributor that might surprise a little is MCW. I am not counting on either but I do see what Morey is doing as we could have used a versatile 1-3 last year as a spark off the bench to play solid 2 way basketball.

I can actually see a lineup of MCW (or Melton), Gordon, Harden, Tucker, Capela playing pretty well together. Harden will technically be your 1 on offense and Capela your pick and roll 5 but everyone else is basically positionless and versatile enough on both offense and defense. I think MCW can be decent in our offense and setting up his teammates instead of looking to shoot. He should honestly never shoot unless he has a wide open layup. If he moves around a lot on offense off of cuts, screens, etc. it will be tough to just "leave him open" as he won't just be standing. He will be able to dish to Capela for an easy dunk or kick out to Gordon, Harden, or Tucker for the open 3.

Here's to hoping either Melton or MCW can step in contribute at least 15 minutes of solid, versatile 2-way play at the 1-3 position because it will lessen the blow of Ariza and LMM leaving since we still have other versatile players in Harden, Gordon, Tucker, Green, Melo (to an extent), Ennis seems like just a 3 but could play the 4 on occasion. I can actually see Melo playing a small ball 5 on occasion with Tucker as the 4 since Tucker is such a good rebounder.

4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

This is an excellent point. We don’t want to build our team so that when our Arizas are hot we win and when they’re not we lose. You only lean on your superstars.

5. mockster

mockster Member

“I think” it’s nearly a done deal

Invisible Fan and DonKnock like this.
  6. esketit

esketit Member

wish we could have kept ariza or luc as well. that would have been a squad!

Ziggy likes this.
  7. mockster

mockster Member

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Impressive guess!

mockster likes this.
  9. mockster

mockster Member

Lol. Yeah..........

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

who else thinks we need a last-minute poll on whether he goes to the Lakers or comes to Houston ;)

mockster likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Do we have definitive word on who had the most threads.....Melo or Dmo?

mockster likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wow. I bet it's close though.

13. rockets52

rockets52 Member

Sergio Llull

14. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Llull C

mockster likes this.
  15. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Damn, thats a good one.
    I'd say DMo wins the sheer volume of threads, being part of the rockets for years + "I know my rights".
    Melo wins in the quantity within the threads, Dmo's longest thread is around 400 pages, Melo's approaches 700.

16. mockster

mockster Member

*First reply my thread in May before any melo news*

Well thunder will trade him to hawks, they will waive him and we sign him for vet min

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Lol. Better late than never.

Just one thing.... you forgot that Lebron James guy. But that’s minor.

The bigger gaff is we missed out on Bobby Brown! That was the unicorn we had to land if we were gonna compete with GW again.

mockster likes this.
  18. mockster

mockster Member

Lol true, Lebron family had other plans but I still said I thought melo would be here regardless.

Yes the legend Bobby Brown doesn’t appear to be joining us. He will continue to own scrubs in the drew league.

19. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Im hoping one of those guys get bought out lol...

20. mockster

mockster Member