1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think Carmelo Anthony is likely to end up with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, May 29, 2018.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Furthermore Melo has gone on record saying he was thrown into the mix at okc without a real game plan on what his true role would be. As the season went on OKC asked him to play in a role he wasn't comfortable playing. All that has been discussed in Houston... no way we put him in a position he doesn't want to be in.

2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I'm not so sure about this. I think the Rockets will ask him to spot up and shoot 3s even more. Melo's game is mostly about the mid-range and post ups, and both tend to be avoided by the Rockets.

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We are in CP3 era so the three point shooting will still be a huge factor but CP3 and Melo will take their normal shots which works well for the overall balance on how we attack defenses... especially in the playoffs.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

PJ Tucker is the “Ariza replacement” folks. Melo is the Ryno replacement in our lineup IF he can fit into that role with the starters and not slog down what Harden does with the first unit.

I’ve been saying he will most likely have the Josh Smith role off the bench but I truly do hope he integrates well enough to be a starter. Smooth did NOT and stuck out like a sore thumb.

The only issue here is Smooth didn’t have to ALSO assimilate to CP3 with the second unit like Melo will. So it’ll be even less likely to succeed either way. Even off the bench he’s got to change his game a bit.

My money would be on Ennis and PJ starting at the 3/4, but I hope it’s Melo/PJ. We just have to see A. If he signs here and if OKC doesn’t change their mind and B. If Melo can fit into that Ryno role from last year. Pick n pop, super long threes with Harden using you as a screener to breakdown the defense. Don’t try to do anything else at first.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Personally, I don't like PJ at 3 at all. But he played it a year ago so who knows. With Josh Smith, the guy played here and was out of the league not even 2 years later, I think he also did play with CP3 following his stint here, but could barely see the floor with LAC.Melo has talent, I think he'll be fine if his head is in the right place. Winning alone should keep him positive and compliant.

6. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s why I said just a nod ;) they both suck at defense it’s not like Melo is a good defender !!!!!

7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Hawks are talking to the Thunder for a Carmelo Anthony for Dennis Schroeder Trade

mockster likes this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Nobody loves hating the Thunder more than I do...

But...

The Thunder will be good next year. Solid roster continuity. They ditch Melo who was a huge negative. Roberson will return, which was a huge boon for them. Schroeder would be a very dynamic backup point guard.

They look like the 3 seed to me.

D-rock and mockster like this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If I'm the Hawks, I would ask for picks too, because Melo could ask them to waive him. On the other hand, he might be able to play freely for the Hawks, because he wouldn't be under much pressure there. I would surprised if Atlanta wants to retain Melo.

Addendum: I didn't read J Sizzle's post above mine.

11. mockster

mockster Member

They’ll be a force with Westbrook and Goerge that’s for sure.

I still think there lacking good quality offensive players but they will look better then last year

I see them more of a wild card team, with Westbrook he just goes off the rails sometimes, I feel like his game can be negative towards his teammates at times.

I feel like there a team that could beat the warriors then the next round lose to Utah/Lakers. Just super unpredictable team to me.

#511 mockster, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    D-rock likes this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

There is no way Carmelo is going to play in Atl. He wants a buyout and play for the Rockets. Atl wants cap space. Atl is in rebuild mode.

D-rock likes this.
  13. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Melo not staying in Atlanta. The plan is for him to be waved, then he will sign where he wants. He will not agree to a trade unless the other team say they will waive him. He has a no trade clause

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Its weird that OKC wants a disgruntled Dennis Schroeder who wants to Start, this could be Reggie Jackson all over again.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

disgruntled at what? hes not a true starter in this league and fooled atl into giving him that type of money. hes getting paid 15 mil for each next 3 years to be some backup on a team. doesn't work out too bad for him

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

seems more like they want to send him to a 3rd team...I see no reason why OKC would actually want Schroeder

he still has 3 years left on his deal making 15.5 mil/yr...OKC’s tax bill is still high even after dumping Melo...u can’t be paying your backup PG 15 mil

napalm06 likes this.
  17. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Okay this is a big fat NO.

OKC will have no spacing which means Russ will have less room to attack and be forced into more contested mid range shots, same for PG. Their defense will be solid but it won't win them games because they won't be able to spread teams out with long range shooting.

Here's a list of their capable 3 point shooters in their rotation.

-George, Abrines, Patterson.

Flanked by non shooters in

-Westbrook, Roberson, Adams, Noel, Felton

So not only will they not have ball movement like last year, they won't have a floor spacer at the 4 opening up the lane neither. Russ and PG will play your turn, my turn like KD and Russ did only KD was great at it while Russ and PG were worse than Melo in Isolation last year but had more usage in it.

OKC is a 6 seed to me right now.

GS, Houston, Utah, Denver, New Orleans and San Antonio are all better IMO currently IMO. Portland, LAL, Minnesota and Dallas aren't too far behind.

18. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

19. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Melo is not coming here to come off the bench, but as we all know, it's not who starts necessarily, but who finishes.

Regardless, even assuming we finally cross the the 2-yard line with Melo, I still think we need one more player in the rotation, 6th-man level or better. I understand what you're saying about PJ as our Ariza replacement, but I'm still hoping for a clear Ariza replacement. I wonder how much Tilman/Morey are willing to pay for one.

20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Either 5 mil if that’s not used for Melo or 2.2 if it is, plus whatever the tax for that is.
    Not much to wonder.