1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Eye test and measurable stats.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. raining threes

I get what you're saying but when an opportunity arises to win a WS you take it and run with it.

Pitching is very deep in the farm system and Beer was drafted to be the DH in 2021.

They are counting on Tucker/Alvarez/Beer/Whitley to replace the guys you're talking about. Everybody else is in play to be traded. This is the reason they wont get Realmuto and are looking at Ramos. Catcher is the most important position on the team other than pitching. IMHO

Having a good defensive catcher who has a quality bat is a constant on a WS winning team. Look at the last 4 WS winners as an example. Posey/Perez/McCann. Solid bats that lengthen the lineup and can handle a pitching staff. While I like Stassi he's not ready to be considered in that group, Ramos is.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Who would I personally give up for Realmuto if it were me making the decision? Cause that is different from what I’ve been posting on what I think Luhnow will actually do

I would make a strong offer for Ramos right now. If we are going to add a catcher the sooner the better. Our staff isn’t easy to catch which is why McCann is so valuable. The longer a guy has before October the better

I would then make a strong offer for Britton in hopes he regains his brilliance. We will have Lance or Charlie to close if needed in October, but if we added Britton and he found his magic, we might not need them for the 9th

We could do both of those using our depth and not touch Tucker, Whitley, Alvarez or probably even Martin and Bukauskas

Add rentals who are cheaper, give ourselves the best possible chance now, and keep the long term potential studs who could be cheap when we are paying Springer, Correa and the future MVP

What I think Luhnow will do is wait it out, see how guys perform and who’s price comes down. That also gives him time to see how McCann is coming along.

The one thing I do think he will do soon is move Giles, he is a cancer

The one think I feel strongly about is Luhnow isn’t moving Tucker, Whitley or Alvarez. He (Luhnow) isn’t always right obviously, we took Appel over Bryant, hung on to mar1juana Jon, Reed, can probably add Martes to that list, thinking they would be studs and got nothing for them....but his good decisions far outweigh the bad. Luhnow is a stud in an organization full of studs. I trust he will give us the best chance to win it all, this year, and for many to come

4. The Beard

That decision will be made much more on how they feel he handles the staff than it will be on his batting average. Having a great offensive catcher is awesome, but this offense is fine with or without that. You MUST have someone the staff trusts back there though, and we have no idea how they feel about him in that way yet in my opinion

5. raining threes

Verlander dressing Stassi down may be a clue.

BTW, I want to be clear about two things.

I like Stassi and wouldn't have a problem with him being the starting C next yr.

I've waited 50 years for the Astros to have a team who would be considered the favorites to win a WS and they need to find a veteran C to win another WS and a closer. IMHO

They can do this without trading Whitley/Alvarez and they should make the necessary moves. Luckily every time the Astros have a team capable of making the playoffs Luhnow's made moves at the deadline to make the team stronger. Fiers/Gomez and Verlander.

6. The Beard

I don’t necessarily disagree, although I think they obviously have a lot more info than we do on whether McCann will be ready or not. I also think we have just as much chance to win next year as we do this so don’t fully understand Stassi being ok next year and not this....but in general I agree with your feelings. We could get Ramos without giving up those guys, probably not Realmuto though

And one more thing I would say...personally, if I could get Realmuto and Barraclough both, I would include Alvarez in the deal. I do not think Luhnow would though, in fact I’d be shocked if he did

raining threes likes this.
  7. CinematicFusion

I’m with you. The rental players this year are strong. We could be an amazing team with Ramos and Britton. We will have to give up the Derek Fisher types in a package deal. I think he will be a great and he’s only 24.... but I don’t think he will be that guy for this team. With so many teams after these players, it will still be a trade that hurts.

I would only give up a top stud if it’s a true stud that fills a position of need in return. Tucker for a Chris Sale who has a full three years as an example. It would be hard for me to give up a top prospect for a reliever. It would have to be a special special reliever.

8. The Beard

Agree and all of those are on teams who will be buyers, not sellers

Britton is really the one proven possibility

9. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I just believe Realmuto would be key for years to come. Like Hand and maybe you can get a Castellonos from the tigers. He looked pretty good yesterday. And he could be in LF. And who ever starts getting hits and fielding ie Tucker or Alveraz then they take Reddicks spot when his contract is over.

10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I really dont like rentals unless you know you can resign them. Britton would get a big head if he got the world series ring he would nt sign for cheap. Ramos would probu ly go back to the nationals if he got a ring.
    So it's like really? Get dudes under control

11. Buck Turgidson

Thanks for being specific. What measurable stats this year? What have you seen that you don't like? Honest questions.

Yall are reading way too much into that, methinks.

12. The Beard

For years to come?

He is only controlled 2 more years, and if you signed him long term you are definitely letting Springer, Correa or Bregman go

Astrofan59 and raining threes like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Sometimes trade speculation gets really annoying, happens most every year in MLB/NBA. I like concrete rumors and quotes, not just blind speculation for the most part.

That's just me though.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

"Only"? While I think a lot of the Realmuto speculation is a huge overpay, you make having a great catcher play for postseason plus 2 more years sound like it is hardly anything. Marlins should get a lot for Realmuto though I'm not sure Astros have enough of what they are willing to deal (i.e., not Tucker, Alvarez, and Whitley).

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My response regarding his fielding woes were for last year. Defensive WAR was negative, and although pitchers share in the stolen base area, he was not good at throwing out runners. Astros led the league in wild pitches last year which generally means the catchers (probably more so Gattis) didn't do the pitchers many favors. BUT, as I stated...I don't think they win the WS without him.

And...my whole point was to show that last year they don't need outstanding (or even above average) fielding and hitting from their catchers to win the World Series so they should be just fine with Stassi as long as he continues to perform as he has been.

16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Ramos hurt. Next?????????

17. The Beard

No, I’m not. I’ve said he is very valuable actually.

I’m saying (over and over and over so I’m gonna be done with the topic) that I think Luhnow values 7 years of Tucker or Whitley or Alvarez more than 2 years of Realmuto. Maybe I’m wrong and he will trade one of them for Realmuto

Something tells me if he was willing to do that, Realmuto would already be here

But maybe I’m wrong and it’s coming in a few weeks

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not worth Alvarez, Whitley, or Tucker, but you keep saying 2 years when it is nearly 2.4 years plus up to 3 postseasons. Considering how good Realmuto is according to you, leaving off the last of this season plus this postseason drastically misrepresents his value.

19. HTown2017Champs

Unpopular opinion, but I'd be perfectly content with Correa walking. Bregman can move to SS, 3B can be filled internally. Not only am I concerned with his injuries, but also I get the feeling he'll demand a lot of money. And Alvarez is kind of overrated, we will be just fine without him since we have Tucker, Kemp, and Straw. Also, you sure that Beer was drafted specifically to be a full-time DH? That's pretty unusual for a first round pick, I think he'll ultimately end up at 1B. JD Davis could also be a dark horse for our future 1B. Try and get Realmuto and Conley for a deal centered around Alvarez. Guys like Armenteros can be bundled, Realmuto would be great for (up to) 3 playoff runs, and then try and resign him. Realmuto, Bregman, and Altuve (already extended) is ideally the veteran core I'd like.

20. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Why is Alvarez overrated?