1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Calm the eff down

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Correct. Damage control.

Still a good team but no where close to the Warriors. We have regressed.

Trackwell, Ziggy and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"Where are the wings?"

:p

[​IMG]

Reeko likes this.
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He must really like Ryan Anderson then.

pbthunder, Reeko, malakas and 2 others like this.
  4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

so I am not happy with losing Luc and Trevor - they were my UCLA guys on the team and played really hard.

But I think one of the "issues" Houston had last season was just minutes when everyone was available. This was our wing/PF rotation: Tucker/Ariza/Luc/Green/Ryno/Joe Johnson and on the rare occasion throw in Gordon.

The Rockets ability to switch and play defense was the key last season and both Luc and Trevor were big in providing that.

With MCW being a larger guard and if Melton actually is as good as advertised those two can fill out the spots left by JJ and Luc off the bench.

If the Rockets due sign Melo post salary dump he would be replacing Ariza as a starter. He can provide way more offense than Ariza but way less defensively as well. I think the Rockets will adapt their style of play to fit that.

Of course what can be the biggest factor in all of this is IF Ryno becomes a contributor again (if he isn't traded). Again bad defense but changes the offensive completely when he is hitting.

Talent wise if this team re-signs Capela and sign Melo i think we're just as good as last season, but chemistry is a whole different story of course. We did take a step back chemistry wise but that can be forged as the season starts. I think the big thing last season was the guys playing in LA and Vegas after SL ended together. They may do that again this year but without knowing who may actually be there or not may be an issue.

Also its July 10th - there is still plenty of time before training camp starts for moves to be made. Given the lack of flexibility for Houston I dont expect any large moves but Morey has been more than clever in the past and he may be again.

Last season everyone thought Houston was way behind GS in terms of everything and turned out the team wasn't as far behind as we thought. Same thing this season GS made some amazing moves and Houston not as great but once the season starts anything can happen.

The one thing that will hurt though is the depth we had last season was a needed luxury at times and that may not be there next season.

Trackwell likes this.
  5. hakeemthagreat

I don't understand. We know he's not either one of them. But who the hell is he? This guy is a scrub who will eventually be another waste of roster space

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Those are examples of offensively limited players who mostly outperform their contracts because the system they are in allows them to focus on their strengths. Livingston makes 8.3mil/year - Iggy $16mil/year. MCW is making 1.7mil - more than 4 times LESS than Livingston and 8 times LESS than Iggy. OBVIOUSLY these aren't player comps - they aren't in the same class and the vast difference in salary is one of many obvious ways to show that.

The point you seem to have missed because you clearly didn't read the rest was that these aren't direct players comps but rather comps in terms of production relative to contract cost. The whole point of my post is about extracting value out of your contracts by making every contract dollar count - from the max player all the way down to the league minimum player filling out the roster(In this case, it's MCW). Good teams make scrap heap players valuable contributors and reap the benefits of paying those players less than what the production of that player is normally valued at on the open market. At one point Iggy and Livingston were that scrap heap for GS but more importantly they had them on below market value deals which added up to allow them to sign a super roster.

Red Chocolate and Trackwell like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets want Melo off the bench. If they get him to agree to that....that is interesting.

Red Chocolate, Plowman and justtxyank like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah good for you on focusing on this outperforming contracts angle. how'd that work for guys like black, jj, wright. like i said before morey had to find someway to justify the signing of mcw because he sucks. he couldn't even be a rotational player on bad teams

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Haha....

He is going to Miami then.

He would rather get his 25 shots per game and limelight.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't even need him to start on the bench, but if he agrees to accept a role that isn't guaranteeing him a level of playing time and he's ok with a different lineup closing out games, that will be enticing.

Trackwell likes this.
  11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If this is in fact true, watch for the big trade soon....

RudyTBag likes this.
  12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

He joined the team on a minimum deal - you guys act like Morey just gave him the full MLE. I agree MCW isn't worth much but if he can give us any value at all while playing on a league minimum contract, it will be a win for the team. Like I said previously - if he can be a good defender against 2nd string guards and if he can get a few easy buckets for us via his cutting, it would be a win but even if he is a total disaster, sitting him on the bench cost you nearly the same as any other end of bench FA signing in the league.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

What do you expect here? Every team has league minimum players there to fill out their roster and most don't get a ton of value out of them. Why is only Morey a bum because his league minimum paid guys perform like league minimum guys? I don't hear people calling Myers a bum because he signed Quinn Cook to the league minimum or Danny Ainge for signing Brad Wanamaker, or RC Buford for signing Brandon Paul. All this shows me is you won't be happy regardless because you are dead set on distorting whatever context there is to make sure Morey looks like a fool. Why even bother arguing if you are going to distort things that much?

Red Chocolate and Trackwell like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

i dont think asking for a better player than mcw is that unrealistic

15. bratna8

bratna8 Member

How soon.....Yule C?

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Here is the list of PGs who make what MCW does or less. Show me better player you are asking for....and no, you can't count the players who were late 1st rounders drafted by their team(like Murray) - only look at the true FA players.

...going back to my point - for the money you can't expect too much and literally anything we get out of him will be a win because at that money, we are really paying for a warm body at the end of the bench.

Landry Shamet
    POINT GUARD $1,703,640
    Derrick White
    POINT GUARD $1,667,160
    Spencer Dinwiddie
    POINT GUARD $1,656,092
    Julyan Stone
    POINT GUARD $1,656,092
    T.J. McConnell
    POINT GUARD $1,600,520
    Dejounte Murray
    POINT GUARD $1,544,951
    Malcolm Brogdon
    POINT GUARD $1,544,951
    Isaiah Whitehead
    POINT GUARD $1,544,951
    Andrew Harrison
    POINT GUARD $1,544,951
    Quinn Cook
    POINT GUARD $1,544,951
    Frank Jackson
    POINT GUARD $1,378,242
    Frank Mason
    POINT GUARD $1,378,242
    Jawun Evans
    POINT GUARD $1,378,242
    Isaac Bonga
    POINT GUARD $1,000,000
    Devonte' Graham
    POINT GUARD $838,460
    Élie Okobo
    POINT GUARD $838,464
    Brad Wanamaker
    POINT GUARD $831,311

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

the "pg" label is worthless. there isn't real backup pg spot available here. you keep making it a point if he plays defense then hes worth it. well theres other guys that signed at min who could fill that role and still be competent on offense. certainly not worthless to mcw level

18. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Big trade? When? And for whom?

Trackwell likes this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Okay then here is the link - YOU go through the list and find people who make less than $1.7mil who you would rather have signed. All your complaining about Morey once again distracts from the context of what is available for the money so if you want to complain, then put in the effort and show us all who this magical player is you were expecting for $1.7mil.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/base/point-guard/

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

jeff green who just signed for min would of easily been a better signing than mcw

pippendagimp likes this.