1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros call up Tucker (Starts in LF Today)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rox225, Jul 7, 2018.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Is Kemp done as a 2nd basemen? I think his ability to adequately play that spot in a pinch will allow him to stick on the roster beyond Jake's call up. His (potential) versatility is helpful.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

For now, on this team, there's no point in playing him at 2nd unless there's a catastrophic run of injury.

Sorta like how Berkman was an outfielder for the first half of his career, when he was always a first baseman, and drafted to be a first baseman.

eric.81 likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No he can still very much play 2nd base...but it's occupied and we have 3 other guys that can already play it in a pinch

Versatility is not something that works in Kemps favor due to his lack of arm strength, if he's staying in the league long term it's as an everyday player somewhere.

eric.81 likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Tony Kemp is the Marwin replacement on this team.

I think they let Marwin walk and let Kemp be the utility guy who backs up Second and the outfield spots.

Having Bregman as a guy who can play short and Yuli capable of playing first or third means this team is flexible enough to let Marwin walk.

eric.81 likes this.
  5. eric.81

Appreciate the responses @Nick and @sealclubber1016. Obviously, something would have to go very wrong for him to end up playing meaningful games at 2nd.

I just really like both him and Jake on the roster. Kemp's ability to get on base has been as valuable as Jake's baserunning and outfield defense (and the occasional bomb).

Can't we just combine them into one player? lol...

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Kemp could play 2nd base well or even slightly below MLB average defense at 2nd, another team would have traded for him as his bat easily plays at 2nd even assuming a ton of regression. Considering his bat and that he's still an Astro, he probably looks like Pele playing second.

7. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

2nd is his best position. He is at least average there, he is a pretty awful outfielder.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think most teams were not sure how his bat would look in the majors.

If he maintains this offense somebody will trade for him to be their 2B.

Hemo_jr, vince, MrBear1 and 2 others like this.
  9. eric.81

What kind of package would that return? Mediocre relief pitcher and a lottery ticket prospect? Would he have to be thrown into a package headlined by someone "sexier" in order to get equal value back?

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Hard to say, if teams think he is gonna be a good starter for them with 6 more years of team control, that has a ton of value.

Might be best to wait until the off-season when teams are building their roster and a bidding war can be created.

raining threes and eric.81 like this.
  11. raining threes

Give me specific plays where you would consider him to be awful in the OF.

12. raining threes

I doubt this happens, but I could see Kemp being part of a package being traded to the Marlins for Realmuto.

Buskauskas/Davis/Kemp/Armentros/H. Perez/Celestino for Realmuto seems like a fair trade for both sides.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Miami was willing to accept that pupu platter, Realmuto would already be in Houston.

14. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

I don't look at specific plays, I go by his overall performance.

The main issues are he takes bad routes and has a terrible arm.

The stats back it up too.

In LF this season:

UZR/150: -6.4
    UZR: -0.8
    RngR: -0.2
    ARM: -.0.7
    DRS: 0

Its not a pretty picture.

15. vince

vince Member

If Luhnow traded Kemp, I’d figure he’d get a solid return. Kemp’s value should be very good... as a bench guy.

But Kemp should be a guy who can average at least 250-350 AB a year, and be a pitch runner option for slower guys.

And if some GM sees him as a 2nd base everyday option, he will be worth a lot more....

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Based on the eye test, Kemp does make plays, but as you said, takes bad routes. He has made a few "spectacular" catches that should have been routine outs.

I like Kemp as a utility guy.

17. Screaming Fist

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

That wouldn't get it done at all...I don't think you get it done without Alvarez and I don't think we move Alvarez, but if it did get done without him it would likely look more like

Bukauskas, Straw, Alcala, Nova, Kemp for Realmuto and maybe one of their pen arms. Maybe we add one of the (White/Davis/Reed) types to the deal as a sweetner. I'm not sure that even gets it done to be honest, but Straw looks legit and Alcala/Nova are both the high upside types that most GM's like in deals like that

19. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

He played 2B last week. He’s not getting time over Altuve at 2B. Jesus.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No where in Joe Joe's post did he suggest Kemp would play 2B over Altuve. Essentially he said the opposite.