1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2.0]Cyberex, paging Cyberex...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This Instagram post from Morey is full META!

Absolutely love it.

R-E-L-A-X.

joshuaao, slothy420 and BigMaloe like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This offseason the Pacers have bought themselves a bench.

McDermott
    Evans
    O'Quinn

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Yep... I've stated before... IND in competition for best 3-4 teams in east. They smell blood in the water.

Celtics clear favs w/ 76ers, Raptors, Pacers on the rear.

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I’m hoping we can resign capela at 4/60. That would be amazing an an absolutely great asset going forward.

Capela probably wants 4/100 but his market is just absolutely not there. But while he may take the QO if we can’t agree to terms, it’s extremely hard to pass up your first big contract.

4/80 is the middle ground but we seem to have all the leverage. That makes me feel like 4/75 is the ultimate middle ground.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

lol you threw out a lot of scenarios but i agree on the 4/75. If that isn't acceptable to Capela then I can only wish him the best of luck in FA next summer.

bulkatron and BigMaloe like this.
  7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

How is there nothing happy about that scenario? Sounds like you’re being a smart ass. QO of 5 mil in year 1 and $15 mil in year 2 is $20 mil in first two years. My scenario he’s making $26 mil the first two years so do the math and re-consider. Yes it doesn’t lock him in on a full 4 years of big money, but to completely dismiss it and say there is nothing happy about that is ridiculous. It’s obviosuly not what he really wants, but neither side is in a situation that’ll for sure get them what they want. And giving him the player option certainly makes the situation happier for him; if he underperforms or gets injured he can opt in; if he keeps up the good work he’ll be what..25? when he’s an unrestricted free agent.

8. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

What’s your thinking here? $26 million > $20 million, and then he can theoretically go get his big long-term deal in two summers instead of one, and still come out ahead, no?

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

10. steddinotayto

If I'm being a smartass then you're being somewhat delusional to think that if you put a 3 year $40 million offer in front of Capela he'd be jumping over joy to sign onto that offer, knowing that teams will have more cap space next summer who will want to retain his services. The Rockets like him, the fans like him, and, by all accounts, it seems like he likes playing in Houston. So if you're going to try to lock him up on a deal that BOTH sides can live with (e.g. be happy with) I don't see why the Rockets can't offer him a four year deal around $17 million per season.

My thinking here is not to offend the kid with a lowball offer to the point where he's pissed off enough to take the QO and enter UFA next summer.

I completely understand and support the idea of retaining him for below market value but to lowball the kid and say that's done in good faith is something else.

Zac D likes this.
  11. 50/fifty

50/fifty Member

12. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Got it. I totally agree with you in principle, and if I were the Rockets I think I’d be thrilled with 17 for 4 or with 13 for 2. It’s just not obvious to me which of those Capela would prefer, on balance—maybe he wants to test the market again and have another shot at a max deal sooner rather than later—so not obvious to me that one offer would be in good faith and the other not.

steddinotayto likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

I don't know jack sh*t about what goes through Capela's mind but if we want to retain him on a relatively good deal and also not let him enter free agency for the next 3-4 years (thereby running the risk of losing him completely), why not make a competitive offer now and see what happens?

14. Rocketsfan3422

Wouldn't it be in our favor to have capella take the q/o and sign him during the summer when we finally are able to dump rynos contract. Wouldn't that help us now and also next year $$ wise?

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ariza...

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Translation..they paid me more, so I went for it.

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I just don’t get how you can say it’s a low ball. He’s not getting a max this summer. That much is known. So no matter what he will most likely make more money in my scenario the first two years. You’re saying $17 is fair. Considering there’s a good chance he’s gonna have to take the qualifying offer how is $13 (which was just an example by the way) insulting if he gets the player option to re-visit free agency in 2 years?

seeingred likes this.
  18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

19. Coach E

Coach E Member

TRANSLATION: I GO 0-12 SOMETIMES

hakeem94, JuNx and Fulgore like this.
  20. edgewalker

edgewalker Member

BAH GAWD THAT'S BURT STEELE'S MUSIC

IslandB.O.I. and sirjesse like this.