1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets re-sign Chris Paul to 4 year, $160M deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2018.

?

Do you like the decision to re-sign Chris Paul? (4 yrs, $160M)

1. YES

55.8%
  2. NO

44.2%
  1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He was never getting year 5.

2. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Man oh man, 4 years of watching CP run the office when the CEO takes a coffee break. They put on one hell of a show with the bonus of being legit. What more do you want ? Good Times and thank you Mr. Paul !
    (gonna finish that sandwich ? )

D-rock, Patience and Deckard like this.
  3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Better hope he a 15 mil paycut.

4. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Harden not even the highest paid Rocket.

Guys remember the real hero here, Tillman Fertitta. He is bending over and taking it right in the... um nvm. Cheer for 4 years of luxury tax hell. Harden + Paul = 2/3rds of teams entire payrolls.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

People can hate on KD all they want and question his reasoning, but the man has taken less money and will probably do so again as he wants to keep the team alive. CP3 and Harden did NOTHING for Morey and the owner to show they want to win badly enough to leave some money to make it easier to keep the team as constructed, so I don't want to hear they are all about winning. They could've left 10-15 million on the table, it's not like they cannot feed their families for generations off of a 25 million pear year deal. Come on now. I'm not even talking about the health issue and this is not on Morey or anyone else, this is 100% on CP3 to force us to give him the max. I'm sure he would've walked if we hadn't. Ow well, we aren't winning with these refs and the Warriors around anyway.

Stormy1234 and PeterKingX like this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

I like it? No.

I think it's the right move? Yes.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Really excited that Chris Paul will be James Harden's backcourt mate for the next 4 years. Great signing for the Rockets. Glad it was 4 years instead of 5. CP will probably age gracefully. His greatest importance is his ability to augment Harden's game.

BigMaloe, D-rock, Vivi and 2 others like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

cbass and Vivi like this.
  9. Texanstradamus

Same

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There's very little chance that 4th year isn't really rough financially, and everybody knows that.

But this is the only real path to a title in the next few years, and Tilman ponied up the cash to take that chance.

Williamson likes this.
  11. Exiled

Exiled Member

over paid even for a 23 years old CP3

12. Mr. Space City

damn cp3, can i borrow $20?

i wanna buy a pizza.

13. deb4rockets5

deb4rockets5 Member

Only in the NBA does a player get a raise for being injury prone, unable to stay healthy in the playoffs, and being one of the oldest players in the league. I love Paul, but with all the risk of not being able to stay healthy I would have rather spent 50 mil on 2 good forwards or offer 50 mil on Lebron.

PeterKingX likes this.
  14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Hard for me not to feel this way, though I have nothing against them for doing what is smart financially. It’s their profession and it can only be played for the youthful part of life. But you’re right in that they can afford to leave some on the table to bring in talent IF winning is TRULY all that matters.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Great deal. We all knew the drill when we traded for him. Should be glad there isn’t a year 5. He’ll be overpaid in year 4 but he’s not going to be terrible. This keeps us as contenders and a no brainer decision.

Patience likes this.
  16. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

This.

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We need to get one thing straight, Warriors were fortunate to have the opportunity to sign someone like Durant at the right time. Durant will always be a b**** for running to GSW. They were lucky enough to have Curry/Thompson/Green on cheap deals relative to the new cap numbers.

Now, Curry did not take a pay cut, nor will Green and Thompson take a pay cut I bet.

Even when the Heat players took pay cuts, they really did not give up all that much like Durant has. Heat team was also lucky that hard cap wasn't a thing at this time.

Rockets are just unfortunate to be hand tied under the new rules. I like the new rules though, theoretically you shouldn't be able to put super teams together, GSW just got lucky in that regard.

BigM and YOLO like this.
  18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I still cant believe 38 years old CP3 could get 40 million dollars... Is there any NBA superstars like that old ever make it?

Stormy1234 likes this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Should be around 45 million, and that's at 37 not 38.

45 million at 37 will be really hard for us, disappointed we couldn't get a flat or declining max, but at least we got the much needed 4 year instead of 5.

20. WNBA

WNBA Member

Nightmare. Hope Paul can even play 1/3 of the games included in his contract.

PeterKingX likes this.