1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PHX pursuing Trevor Ariza (UPDATE: Ariza signs one-year, $15M deal with Phoenix)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Hmmm... $15millon outgoing salary, plus what Eric Gordon makes... enough for a LeBron sign and trade salary matching?

joshuaao likes this.
  2. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

It’s a shame that Ariza’s last game with us was a 0-12 Game 7 stinker. Many of those shot being completely open corner threes. If he hit 3 of those shots, we win that game I think and win a title.

Instead he bricked those shots and even Corey Brewer was blushing.

But the Rockets don’t let a starter and loved member of a near championship team go if they don’t have a back-up plan. They could have matched that deal since it didn’t matter in the cap anyway, so Morey and crew have something lined up to help replace and most likely improve the team for next year.

everyday eddie and adw like this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No 3, no D, he's just "and?"

Hustle Town likes this.
  5. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Why would the Rockets give up a pick to take on a much worse contract in Batum, as I don't see Batum opting out in 2020.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i get that money is tight this year, but i would just think 1 yr/20+ would be the kind of thing that gets you to sign with a team as crappy as phoenix. i don't know what we were offering but given we were already giving him 4 yr/32M, i would have thought we we would offer something like 3 yr/24M. ariza is getting older. there's no guarantee the year after making $15M that anyone will be offering him any more than $5M/yr so i would think 3 years guaranteed to play with a winner would get it done over a 1 year offer from a loser that may or may not be worth more over 3 years (though next year there is supposed to be plenty of cap room to go around). but like i said, maybe we were offering practically nothing, like our own 1 year deal.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

ryno and a pick for bazemore as a replacement? hawks want to add salary and picks. rockets liked bazemore before. shot 39% from 3 this year, plays good D, is more of a creator on offense (3.5apg), and is more athletic.

MarioKissoDeath and dkim1984 like this.
  8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Good for Ariza. He deserved it.

#208 Scarface281, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    dkim1984 likes this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Those downplaying this loss are truly mind boggling.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously. It's like they don't watch the Rockets. Super weird on Clutchfans the last few months.

BigggReddd and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  11. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

PHX first you take Dragic from us and now Trevor.
    Is this personal?:rolleyes:

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hate to say it but I honestly highly doubt we even offered him anything. Ala Macus Cambys farewell.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

In a vacuum it is a huge loss. He played a ton of minutes and always guarded the opponent's best scorer. That is not something we can easily replace.

But hey. Free agency is young. We'll see what happens.

adw likes this.
  14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

You don't think the Rockets can find someone who can improve upon his 37% outside shooting and 41% overall percentage?

15. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Or they see an aging veteran with an inconsistent jumper with no ability to create offense on his own playing on a team that switches everything, thus negating the need for a true lock down defender. They might have also looked at his playoff performance where he was a 103-110 O/D per 100 possessions and thought he might be at the end of his usefulness as a guy getting 30+ starter's minutes a game.

cooldudes42 likes this.
  16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

trevor was a good soldier over here for a while. best of luck to him

17. TheresTheDagger

Rather than lament the loss, I'm somewhat baffled by the move by Ariza. Yes, I know its 15 million and more than he could expect to get with Houston.

Still....

He's been here for 4 seasons now....2nd time through. He was 1/2 of a game away from playing in the NBA finals. He could probably get an 8-10 offer from Houston to stay...meaning he gained 5-7 million in salary for this year....but signed a 1 year deal which is risky for an older player. He was inked in as a starter and got plenty of minutes and a role he fit as well here as anywhere.

I almost wonder if Morey told him that "someone" might be coming and they simply wouldn't have room for him salarywise and he would no longer be starting...basically telling him to find a nice soft landing spot.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Look at our cap space and the current available wings and then answer that question.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Which is why we're probably going to be including picks to dump that Ryno contract. Morey will find a replacement.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This plus the fact the 2019 trade deadline has not come and gone has me not so worried yet.