1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joel Blank: Would Harden be able to embrace being the second fiddle to LeBron James?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Jun 11, 2018.

1. riko

riko Member

Mike will make it work

Tfor3 likes this.
  2. biina

biina Member

With the close relationship between CP3 and Lebron, and, the precedence of how the Wade addition played out in cleveland, Harden would be at risk of becoming #3, not necessarily on the court, but more off the court and in the locker room. Lebron will be #1 in any team he joins.

Of course Harden may accept the arrangement as it almost guarantees multiple rings and he can still try and win a championship being #1 again in the future.

On the other hand, given how close the team came this year, Harden may prefer PG13 or similar, whose addition wont upset the apple cart as much as adding Lebron. The risk is the possibility of losing CP3, who could join Lebron in LA. if Lebron goes to the Lakers, and leave rocket back in square #1 with just 2 stars.

CP3 wants a championship and teaming up with Lebron is probably his best chance at it, as Lebron is the only player that can solely carry a team to the finals even with CP3 injured

3. igotwhipscollectingdust

Bron’s vision and passing ability is much better than Harden’s. Both are elite though.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Man, this dumb.

Harden played as a 6th man for the Thunder. Fact.
    MDA's system turns even secondary players into shooters. Shooting is one of Hardens favorite things to do. Fact.
    This will be as much Harden's team as the Heat was Dwades when LBJ went there.

The issue will not be who is second fiddle, the issue is will Lebron will want to play in the west, risk not being a marquee team in the finals, and traverse a tougher road than the east? Can LBJ be ok playing for a coach with a spine again? A GM that isnt afraid of him? Those are the real questions.

5. biina

biina Member

1. Harden was sixth man in OKC a life time ago, when he was the newest member of the trio. Since coming to Houston, he has been #1.

2. There is a difference between dribble and shoot vs catch and shoot. Harden likes to have the ball in his hands and not stand in a corner waiting for someone to pass for him to shoot

3. Wade is an older and close friend of Lebron and a champion+finals MVP. His resume was superior to Lebron at the time and he was almost deified in Wade county. Harden's resume pales in comparison to Lebron, that its not even a discussion. Lebron went to Miami to learn how to win, while he will be the one showing Harden how it is done. If Lebron comes, it will be Lebron's team

4.Lebron wont have a problem playing in the west if he is on a legitimate contender. Its not like the East with Boston would be a cake walk either. Lebron played fine with Spoelstra and Riley.

To me, the choice for Harden boils down to
    Option #1: Lebron takes over team, relegate to #2.5 or 3 in Influence and almost guaranteed win multiple rings
    Option #2: (with or without CP3) Add PG13, Cousins,and/or similar quality player(s) and hope its enough to get over GSW.

Of course there is the extreme option in which Harden is traded to bring in Lebron

6. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I think this is a real issue. Harden is a great teammate and definitely wants to win. But I do think he wants to be the alpha.

There has been nothing to suggest otherwise

rockbox and daywalker02 like this.
  7. elrond

elrond Member

Dunno guys, I think it's kind of a valid question if it's not something that Harden/James/(and maybe Paul) have already discussed previously. I think the Paul trade worked pretty well since we were able to get him for fairly minimal pieces, and it seemed like Harden/Paul had already discussed the team dynamics previously. I doubt Lebron is going to be willing to take a backseat to anyone, and it's not clear to me how important is it to Harden to be the man. I don't think pointing out that he was the 6th man on OKC is a good reference point since that was basically a lifetime ago before he got bit by a radioactive spider.

I'm more concerned that in order to get lebron, it seems like we'd have to essentially jettison all of the really nice complementary pieces (Tucker, Luc, etc.). Even if Lebron came and we won the championship, I think I'd still feel kinda dirty. I think it'd kinda be like KD at GSW where he really doesn't get the love that you would expect.

To be honest, I'd be pretty ok with taking another hack at it with minimal upgrades to the current squad. We should have a good shot at it as long as we don't get screwed by the refs again and/or CP3 doesn't get injured again.

I also question whether Lebron would really want to come to the western conference. He's got an insane streak of 8 straight finals appearances or something like that going.

8. smp

smp Member

I know what you mean. A hired assassin is never fully embraced by the fans. The players that struggled through the adversity of building the team get way more credit and satisfaction when they finally win it all.

The original GS core did that. They grew the team from crap to champions. Like them or not you have to respect that original core for sticking through the tough times and coming out with rings.

KD had a shot at that type of deep satisfaction with OKC but he bailed out. He will never truly feel like a champion no matter what he says.

9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

exactly

i don't care how homer it sounds, i still believe in james harden

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The writer sounds like a Lakers fan. Of course they would get along. Harden got along in OKC with a pair of large egos, he got along with CP3, and he would be absolutely thrilled to be busy getting along with LeBron freakin' James. Give us all a break!

Tfor3 and D-rock like this.
  11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Joel has been bitter about the Rockets since being fired by the organization. You have to read his concern troll article in this light.

pippendagimp and Deckard like this.
  12. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Harden is already the second fiddle to CP3. He'll be fine being second fiddle to LeBron.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t play yaself...

BigMaloe, DonKnock, Cash Cam and 3 others like this.
  14. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

To think 3 iso players can coexist in one team with one basketball o_O you think ..
    3 absolute beast in playmaking department too, then again gsw seems to play the passing lane really good against cavs and rockets.
    It usually ends up being a backbreaking rainbow threes that brought the opponent to agonizing feeling. :(

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Funny how that reminds me of another high powered team, a team that finished with 65 wins and made it to game 7 of the WC Finals. Let me see. What team was that? Gotta give it some thought. :cool:

Tfor3 and everyday eddie like this.
  16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Wait who just led his team to 65 wins and took the goat team to 7 games?

And be needs to take a backseat to mr injury prone's BF who got swept 4-0???

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Are you saying Harden had a better playoffs than Lebron?

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He won't take a back seat purposely... it just will be during the playoffs after game 1... specifically in the 2nd halves.

19. vlaurelio

Being swept 4-0 isnt something tbe proud of compared to taking the goat defending champs to 7 games

Could lebron have carried the rockets past 65 wins and past the warriors? NO!!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. vlaurelio

Lol who is the sole basketball reason is lebron joining the rockets for?

hakeem94 likes this.