1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I wonder what the back-up plan is?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jun 11, 2018.

1. xaos

xaos Member

I wonder why the backup plan is Paul George when it seems super clear he wants to go to Lakers

amaru likes this.
  2. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Rajon Rondo
    JJ Redick
    Rudy Gay

lw17, amaru and RocketOrg like this.
  3. macan

macan Member

Plan B would be PG13, plan C shooters(jj redick, korver?), plan D melo?

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

MLE should still be available from my understanding.

But I assume this all depends on what the plan is with matching CC and resigning CP.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i would still move Anderson even it takes a couple of 1sts. Bringing back the band isn't bad at all but they need to have some flexibility to add to this team outside of the exception contracts. Moving on from Anderson and taking whatever assets/players we get in return to turn that into good role players would be okay with me.

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

That's from Feb though. I heard something about Butler somewhere too - that he was unhappy, or something. I think a better explanation for that is that people will call Minnesota to ask about Butler, and they will try to bait-and-switch Wiggins.

I don't see Minny giving up on Butler one year after the trade.

That being said, if we get Butler instead of Lebron, that will also put us over the top.

lw17 and lionaire like this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, @The Cat posted a link about Butler saying somehting like he can't exactly wait for young players to get their **** together (pretty much) and that he just want to win so...i can see him leave Minnie next summer. And i kinda agree with you on Minnie not giving him up now, but at the deadline or when he'll eventually leave next summer...

lw17 likes this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I seem to recall seeing something from one of the board insiders(was it Cyberx?) mentioning Houston's interest in Jimmy Butler as well. I'm sure this is an avenue they will pursue if able.

D-rock, lw17 and bulkatron like this.
  10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

If we whiff on Lebron but can make that same process work for Butler or George, we are still going to be sitting pretty a year from now.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

Pretty much where I am on this.

When we are healthy, we have a full rotation that is capable of beating GSW. Unfortunately, when we are not healthy, the depth sitting behind that rotation is completely unplayable, and we should not expect for injuries to get any better as this team gets older.

The following couldn't contribute even just a few minutes against GSW without getting their doors blown off:

Anderson
    Zhou Qi
    Black
    Onuaku
    Jackson
    Nene
    Johnson

Think about that...7 roster spots that you knew you couldnt get a single minute from against the Warriors. That has got to be better.

In addition, our lack of depth at playmaking is what ultimately did us in against the Warriors. We were able to sustain losing Mbah a Moute by effectively replacing his minutes with trigger happy Green. In other words, losing Moutes defense could be partially offset by Green's superior shooting. But when we lost CP3s playmaking, it all fell apart.

I'm not exactly sure what the answer for adding another playmaker is, but I do think it needs to be addressed.

Also, while I like the idea of an Anderson + assets for Bazemore swap, it doesn't seem like something Fertitta would or should be willing to pay luxury taxes for. Maybe if you let Ariza walk you can consider a deal for Bazemore.

Bottom line, I don't see a deal that is worth us coughing up what few assets we have for a marginal player. If we strike out on LeBron or PG13 this year, expect Morey to be setting us up for Jimmy Butler in 2019 free agency (who could also be had via opt-in and trade).

12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Bring Butler back to the greater Houston area :p

lw17 and lionaire like this.
  13. JavaJive

JavaJive Member

I think you have a very small window regarding time with CP3 and Lebron. You have to make a move now. We can’t wait for the following season if we strike out on Lebron. We have to make a move and get better. As has been mentioned, injure will occur again and we will be in the same situation. It’s now it never for Morey. Has to hit a home Run this offseason.

lionaire and BigggReddd like this.
  14. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Back up plan is probably adding a minor free agent and trading Rhyno during the all star break.

amaru likes this.
  15. Garner

Garner Member

The hardest of passes on Boogie.

Stop looking at the stat line. He is horrible.

D-rock and Richie_Rich like this.
  16. JavaJive

JavaJive Member

Plan A - Lebron
    Plan B - George
    Plan C- Evans, Bradley or Redick
    Lock up Capella and find a way to rid yourself of Anderson’s contract.
    Sign Paul for max two years only given age and injury.
    If we get George instead of Lebron, keep Gordon.
    Keep Tucker, Ariza, Nene as backup center. If Capella goes, got to get Jordan. Cousins does not fit our style of play and would come cheaper and really wants to be in Houston. Luc and Green can stay. Black, Jackson, Johnson,Onuaku, Zhou Qi can be used in trades or kept for cheap to fill out roster.

17. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

If we can't get LeBron I think the plan should be to bite the bullet on the deals to bring back Capela, Paul and Ariza; use some or all of the mid level MLE to bring back Mbah a Moute, and try to get Green back for the vet min again; and then attach a pick or two to move Anderson for a player with a similarly sized less than stellar contract, but one who would actually be able to contribute in a series with the Warriors : so, maybe someone like Carroll in Brooklyn, or Bazemore in Atlanta.

Williamson likes this.
  18. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I consider LBJ and PG Plan A1 and A2. I think after that, which I expect us to strike out on both, we will go after Tyreke, JJ and maybe see if there is any way we can swing Butler. I also wouldn't be surprised to see us linked to Boogie. Even if it's minor and doesn't go anywhere.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  19. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Backup plan is to rehabilitate Ryan Anderson

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think you are right:
    Plan A is the big swings(LBJ, PG13)
    Plan B is the slightly smaller swings - pursue the players who come with more risk like Butler or Boogie(also agree those odds are highly unlikely)
    Plan C - the more likely scenario would be the incremental improvements - replace our bench with more playable players against the Warriors - try to get some value out of that $20mil we are paying Anderson...maybe try to trade him for a similar salaried player who has also worn out his welcome in another city - Demare Carrol, Bazemore, etc.
    Plan D - run it back with mostly the same roster and try to openly conserve on the wear and tear on your stars by playing the bench guys more. This is going to have to require D'antoni figuring out a way to generate offense that isn't predicated on Harden and CP3.