1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA Today: suns plan to offer max to capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2018.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Wish we had his free throws on speed dial as well.

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

What about Alex Len?

3. thekad

thekad Member

Yeah, you have no idea what you’re talking about.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I’ll bet you $50 they don’t.

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Is Capela going closer to LA so he can continue his acting career?!

[​IMG]

D-rock, Bobsputin and DonKnock like this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't see the Lakers throwing Max at Capela before Lebron decides so that's great for us. Teams looking to nab Star FAs hate RFA because it ties up their cap money for 3 days.

7. arjun

arjun Member

What about Ayton?

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I still think he will be selected by the Suns with the first pick.

Capela is quite the opposite of Ayton.
    Primarily a defender/ rebounder. The Suns do need Clint, but it's highly unlikely to see two centers on the same team who will be demanding minutes.

9. Coach E

Coach E Member

Ayton said he isn’t even working out for other teams, he “knows” he is headed to the suns.

Doubtful they offer Capela if they draft him.

Mavericks are a real possibility if they don’t draft one. Also possible that NO let’s Cousins walk, and go after Clint. Davis and Capela would be an absolute beast frontcourt

Manos likes this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

New Orleans won't have cap space no matter what they do with Cousins so good, let them sign him to an RFA sheet of like 4 million lol.

11. papoose115

papoose115 Member

lol the max he can get paid is like 25 mil anyway... i think we should sign him if his starting salary is like 17 - 18 million. anything more than that is questionable.

roslolian likes this.
  12. rockets13champs

If they are drafting Ayton. Why would u give Capela a max???

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

well at the time phx had no idea they would get the #1 pick and the opportunity to draft ayton

Manos likes this.
  14. BartBurton

BartBurton Member

Help me understand this...

Capela didnt have much impact vs GS series, at least on the off end.

Why is he that important to us? IMO the whole season is win or lost on that series.

roslolian likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

theres literally hundreds of capela threads and posts that could help you atleast bring you up to speed. search button is your friend

justtxyank and arabrocket like this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's a valid question indeed.

Even in his good games, it was more the GSW picking their poison, at least offensively.

I felt relatively ok when he got switched onto their guards or KD... though he still go scored on.

I think Clint did as good as any great big can do against GSW. But this is what happens to almost all bigs against them. So its a valid question.

You still need a big like Capela against them for stretches. But you do need to think about allocation of resources.

In either case, he's VERY useful 95% of the time, young, and you lose him for nothing if you don't resign him.

It's a tough spot.

Probably the best scenario is you are able to resign him to a fair, but definitely not max deal, and then if necessary and depending on the offers, can consider trading him in the future.

Bobsputin likes this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, I can see the Suns signing Clint to a max deal, but whither that #1 pick? You could trade it for a star player if a star player were available and willing to play in Phoenix or under contract for a few years. "If" being the longest two-letter word in the dictionary.

18. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Glad they got that #1 pick. If they got any lower, like 2nd they would have selected Doncic and paid Capela Max money.

Still think there is a team or two foolish enough though.

Maybe not Dallas, I'm hoping Dallas learned their lesson with that Parsons signing. Subtract Suns, and Mavs who else has shown interest?

19. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

See, I disagree with that he said.

Capela may not have showed up in the GSW series stat sheet offensively.. But didn't you see how they were guarding him? He had a huge impact on the game and outcome.

GSW put so much focus on that Capela backdoor pass/alley-oop. His presence completely changed how GSW had to play, and a big reason as to how we took them out of their comfort zones so many times..

Each time Harden tried to get that pass to him notice the Warriors were swarming, 2 GSW's competing for that ball with Capela. The Warriors didn't make it an option to be beaten that way, but that opened up the other areas. It's how we got so many open 3's.. it's just we weren't making them lol

All those open looks were directly tied to the defense GSW were forced to play to avoid the Capela threat so GTFO with the nonsense he was a non factor offensively in that series. He created a lot of great offensive looks.

He DEMANDED the GSW pay attention to him whilst they played defensive. That's what you want from one of your top paid players.

#299 Realjad, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    D-rock and joshuaao like this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean... kind of??

However they were guarding him, absent 1 game, it worked great... for them....Rockets scored under 100 points in 5 of 7 games.

I like Clint's ability to switch on the PnR and defend the interior. Against GSW you need a big that can do that occasionally.

But at the end of the day if I could get a similarly talented type forward for him, I'd do that trade and fill in the center spot with more javale-esque role player type, if my goal is to compete with the Warriors.