1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Chris Paul doesn’t plan on taking paycut for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Jun 3, 2018.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The only realistic route for LeBron to get to Houston is via opt-in-and-trade, the same as it was for Chris last summer. Thus, whether Chris plays for the maximum or something else is inconsequential and unrelated to the pursuit of LeBron. And both Chris and Daryl know this.

DonKnock, amaru, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

During his ESPN documentary he talks about taking a pay cut to join a winning team. He knew he would have to to get a championship and it was discussed in the documentary.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LeBron Max Contract ?

[​IMG]

CP3 Max Contract?
    [​IMG]

4. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Another scenario would be CP and Lebron taking discounts to make it work and essentially just giving up Ryno, EG and fillers. But yea, if we can get Lebron in a sign and trade, great. I don’t know if we have what Cleveland would want in a SNT though. They have Hill, JR, Clarkson. Do they want EG while already over the cap?

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You'd have to give up a lot more than Ryno and EG to even get within "discount range" of LeBron.

If Gordon is a positive asset, they can flip him somewhere else.

6. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Lebron is absolutely not taking any discount with any team, no matter what situation

7. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

And how do you know? We don’t know anything at this point? His real employer is Nike, that’s where he makes the most money. Even though he’s already popular in China. His popularity could increase even a lot more.

everyday eddie and hakeem94 like this.
  8. MD_in_Training

Then he may play out the rest of his career losing to the Warriors. If he's content with being #2 to MJ, then so be it.

9. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

It's my speculation based on observations of his personality through the years.

We'll see but I'm confident in what I said. I'll come back to eat crow if otherwise.

10. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

CP3 has an availability issue. I can't stand overpaying guys that are more than likely going to be hurt when you need them the most. I would really like to have him here next season but I just don't think he is worth his price unless he can recruit a Paul George or Lebron. If he can do that, then pay the man his finders fee and let's go win a championship.

Little Bit, Stormy1234 and hakeem94 like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

You have tomorrow’s lottery numbers too, or stock prices? Bored at work.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

First of all people need to understand that NBA owners are making ton of money. NBA owners are not losing money when they pay over the cap. They make less money but never in the red.

Stop making it sounds like once a team is over the cap they lose profits. They make less but never in the red.

14. KingBenny92

KingBenny92 Member

People need to relax, on paper we can re-sign CP3 and Capela to maxes due to their bird rights.. (someone correct me if I am wrong on this). Tillman will have to pay some serious luxury tax however which is where it will get tricky

15. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

guarantee CP will miss at least a dozen games next season, that's just in the regular season.

Little Bit and Stormy1234 like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

aside from Lebron, name another franchise player that didn't miss games this past year.

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

didn't stop KD from taking a discount when he joined GSW. At this point if Lebron wants to team up with CP3 and Harden here in Houston (and that's a big "if" of course), it's going to take some sacrifices from everyone involved - CP3, Lebron, maybe Harden and Capela and certainly the rockets by way of losing good role players. If he wants it bad enough then he'll do it.

Granted this is coming from someone that will never be in that position but the notion of refusing to take a $35M/yr salary solely to hold out for a $40M+/yr salary is absurd if you're stated goal is to go down as the greatest ever. The opportunity cost of losing $20-$30M over a few years when you're already worth $500M+ and well on your way to $1B would be nothing to me if I just wanted to win and cement my legacy as the GOAT.

18. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

I can actually see this going the other way. CP3 has never been on a team like this and has never gone this far in the playoffs. If we do have a chance to get Lebron, I think he will make something happen.

19. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

exactly, I don't know how much CP and Lebron will have to sacrifice to make it work without a SNT but Lebron's real employer is Nike and his deal is rumored to be worth at least a BILLION for the lifetime shoe deal.

20. How_Sweep_It_Is

It's a smoke screen, so Morey doesn't get fined for tampering. Bron to Houston confirmed.