1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Chris Paul doesn’t plan on taking paycut for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

Most believe that Chris Paul will re-sign with the Houston Rockets this offseason, but if people were hoping that he was going to give the Rockets a discount, that is probably not going to be the case.

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN was hosting his podcast the WojPod and one of the big talking points was Paul’s contract. Wojnarowski thinks if the Rockets want to sign Paul it’s going to take them offering a max contract.

“When the Rockets made that deal for Chris Paul, knowing they would re-sign him [once he hit free agency], they made a conscious decision that they were gonna have to live with [paying him] $46, $47 million a year salary when he’s not nearly the player anymore in his late 30s, but, ‘we’re gonna make a run at it now, we wanna win a championship now.

“We’ll deal with it [Paul’s contract] later.’ We’ll see how that plays out in their contract talks [with Paul] here in free agency. Chris Paul didn’t turn down $200 million from the Clippers because he thought that somehow the Rockets were gonna talk him into saving them luxury tax money. I don’t imagine it playing out that way.”

Like Wojnarowski said, the thing the Rockets are going to have to weigh is will Paul’s $47 million a year contract at 37 or 38 being worth it for a few years of a really good Paul now.

Or will the Rockets decide to move in a different direction and try to find someone that can not only help them win now but won’t be such a burden later in

deshen likes this.
  2. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chris Paul is a true professional and I hope he retires a Rocket.

OldYelllowDog, Deuce, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  4. Mr. Space City

$47 million a year contract at 37

[​IMG]

5. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Why are we surprised? Cp3 has always advocated for players fighting for all they're worth.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm just gonna say it. Bringing CP back to chase a ring next year is not worth mortgaging our future. I get that if we bring the same team back, that we have a good shot of winning it next year, but I think there are other players we can sign who will give us a good shot at winning next year, but won't cost us our future. It is literally insane to lock ourselves into paying CP $200 mil over the next 4 or 5 years.

why not go out and sign Paul George or Boogie? They are both actually better players than CP right now. Also, both will still be playing great basketball 4 or 5 years from now.

Morey don't do it!

giddyup, split41, roslolian and 10 others like this.
  7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

only way paul takes a cut is if we are getting lebron.

8. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

He could help us by taking a shorter contract...doesn't have to be about taking less a year

split41, alashley12, dcfma and 6 others like this.
  9. Major

Major Member

He's the President of the Player's Union, right? I don't think there's any way he can really take a discount - part of the union's push is to get everyone to maximize their salaries.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Woj with the "I don’t imagine it playing out that way."...well, thanks, i also don't expect Paul to take a paycut to help Tillman in paying less tax. I do expect him to take a paycut if that's necessary to upgrade the roster though, i'm probably wrong but well, we'll see.

11. slapyomoma

slapyomoma Member

They are friends. That tells you the likeliness LBJ is not Houston bound.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What team is offering CP3 the full max? That's the big question to ask yourself. Lets start with a few questions first -

-What teams are going to interested in CP3?
    -Do they have the max to offer?
    -Will they be the type of team willing to offer it?
    -Is it somewhere CP3 can contend?
    -What is the right thing to do given the Rockets likely "gentlemans agreement" CP3 had with the Rockets last Summer when he opted in?

Manos, Why not?, seeingred and 9 others like this.
  13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yea I don’t know here, that’s crazy for an injury prone old PG. he is my fav player on the team but still

Why not?, hakeem94 and PeterKingX like this.
  14. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

I think he's saying it's "less than likely"

MiracleShot likes this.
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Based on a high level overview of the teams that might be players for CP3 next year-

-Lakers, Philly, Minnesota, and MAYBE Dallas. Maybe Utah.

The Spurs might look to make a trade to free up cap space. Look at CP3 as a potential way to keep Kawhi. Just don't see that many team right now that can really put a ton of leverage on Houston IMO. Only big threat I see is LA if they get another Star or two first, and see CP3 as part of a big three.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

U do know that Boogie just tore his Achilles which is 1 of the most devastating injuries an NBA player can have right?

Also, Paul George and Boogie are not better than CP3 right now, and who says PG wants to come to a Rockets roster minus CP3? CP3 is what elevated us to a 65 win team. CP3 didn’t lead the league in RPM by accident...

17. cebu

cebu Member

Once we get rid of Ryan and EG, we can acquire LBJ and CApella with Paul back. :)

Lawlruschang likes this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Other players? Who?

CP3 is one of the best PGs to ever play the game. We are not replacing him. Whose future are we mortaging here?

James is almost 30 himself. CP3+Harden is our core, we'll be lucky if we can add another vet all-star caliber player to go along them. CP3 Can play 4-5 more years at all-star level any way.

D-rock, felixng2012, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Between the contenders no one can give him a max unless they lose/trade for no incoming salary big players...maybe the Spurs might be the only team being able to give him a max if they dump Pau, Gay and Green, but this assuming Kawhi stays there, cause if he isn't i see no reason why Paul should even consider them.

Between the other teams there're the Lakers, they basically have only 30/35M on the books if they want so, they'll be able to offer two max contracts, but having Lonzo on a low deal is good for them, they'd be better to stick with him at the pg and use cap space for players in other spots and younger than Chris...i mean, if Lebron asks for Chris they'd probably trade Lonzo (7M) to dump Deng (18M) and have pretty much all the cap available, but with literally three players on the roster (Ingram, Kuzma and Randle if they can resign him, he's restricted and probably about to get paid) and nothing more, it's just not a credible scenario to me...makes more sense for them to go after George, Kawhi, Boogie and even Butler at the deadline or next summer.

Yeah, i agree on Lakers and Spurs, let's say they may be in the mix for a max to Chris, i don't see it for Phila, they already have Simmons and Fultz (if they trust him) at the point, but young core anyway, it make sense for them to spend big money for Lebron because he is Lebron, but on Chris? Nah...Wolves should have not enough cap space, they might be able to move Teague or Gibson but Butler is expiring, Towns may ask for a trade, Wiggins is the only piece that's probably going to be there for a long time, not the best roster situation if you ask me...Dallas lol...Utah is a good enviroment, but i don't think i can see Chris end up there to finish his career, even if they offer him the max.

#19 Vivi, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Manos and Lawlruschang like this.
  20. cebu

cebu Member

35m for a fragile player, I think he's overpaid.

roslolian, Jontro, kevtse and 6 others like this.