1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hey why don't you want Lebron?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jun 1, 2018.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Part of me wants LeBron.

Seems like a guaranteed ring and it'd piss all over the Warriors' parade.

Part of me doesn't want LeBron.

Seems like he wouldn't fit in the offense at all and our rings would be viewed as "LeBron gifts".

Bengchu likes this.
  2. solid

solid Contributing Member

LBJ has proven himself to be the best basketball player in the world at the current time. His skills are otherworldly and his drive is unmatched. His "diva" personality is another matter. Plus he is neck deep in political distractions. I hate politics and sports. I watch sports to get away from politics. He tries to "take over" and "run" every team he is a member of. He is really uncoachable. You think Lue draws up what LBJ is supposed to do? Not hardly. Great player: too much baggage. I would take Klay Thompson in a heartbeat. How is that for controversy. I don't think Klay would be a locker room lawyer and would fit right in.

hakeem94, Bengchu and Stormy1234 like this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'm with those that wish we could have done it without LeBron. Would have been so much sweeter than anything else. At this point though, you have to think were the most likely option and you just can't say no to adding the 2nd best player ever to your already 65 win/1game from the Finals squad.
    I don't give a damn what those bspn analysts or polls say. Lakers, Sixers, Celtics, blah, blah. It's Houston to win. Staying in Cleveland for loyalty and stat padding while till getting to the Finals every year. Or its Lakers to continue to build his brand/business and give his kids a better lifestyle and youth basketball programs. His one fear of Houston might be how damaging and bad it will look for his legacy if he joins the Rockets and still loses to the Warriors the last few seasons of his best basketball. In LA, Miami, Phila or even staying in Cleveland, he wouldn't have that pressure to beat GS and win championships.

One thing I would hate is the same thing that happens to every player that plays with LeBron. They all of a sudden become scrubs or bums and the championships would absolutely be all about LeBron and how he carried our bums who "couldn't win without LeBron." It happens to every team and every teammate he's ever played with. It'll happen to Harden and Cp3 and our role players and MDA.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed

Honestly. . . .A Team of Harden, JAmes and Paul
    could easily win 75 Games

In fact That would be my sales pitch to LeBron
    Dude you could play 70 games and still have the team win 75 games
    Then you seal the deal in the finals. . . MAN . . . You will have BLOWN away all comparisons to Mike

Rocket River

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

PG - Paul
    SG - Harden
    SF - LeBron
    PF - Doesn't f*cking Matter
    C - Doesn't f*cking Matter

You have three of the best passers in their position . . . . . . . OF ALL F*CKING TIME!!!

Rocket River

hakeem94, luckyman76 and noppeper like this.
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

That is a good sales pitch. Best record all time. And it is entirely plausible.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

1.) Getting Lebron would more than likely gut the current team that you have.
    2.) Even though Lebron is superhuman, he is not young anymore and we do not know how his body will hold up.
    3.) Of course there is the "diva" persona that people say comes with Lebron, although I do not think this will be a problem in Houston.
    4.) How would Harden feel/react to this?

There's a lot of angles to this, but overall there are many more positives than negatives. Anytime you have a chance to add a once in generation talent like Lebron, you take it. On a side note, if Lebron came in a package deal with Kyler Korver, that would be great.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Gut the team?
    . . not to put down our players because I love them all but . . . . so what?

Harden, Paul, LeBron, KorverBird and Tyson Chandler could win 65 games
    With a bench of Aaron Brooks, Gerald Green and Ryan anderson as back up Center

Rocket River

hakeem94 and noppeper like this.
  9. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

That's not what I meant. The current roster proved that they could hang with Warriors, so one could argue that you just need to add a piece or two and that could get you over the hump. Some people do not want Lebron because it would basically negate all of it and put you into unknown waters.

But in the end, when you have a chance to get a player like Lebron, then it's pretty much do what you have to do. After all the main goal is win championships and getting Lebron will get you there.

10. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

All of this is true BUT Houston would forever be remembered as the city that facilitated beating that Golden State ass which right now there is a a huge hate filled-backlash (FINALLY) occuring GS's way to see that happen.

I cant for the life of me understand what took most of the media this long to finally see that this GS team is filled with a bunch of arrogant, smug, punk ass b****es....coach included!

Of course our luck, Lebron whose NEVER hurt in 15 years, comes to HST and ruptures an ACL in pre-season.....

11. noppeper

noppeper Member

My memory might be hazy now, but from what I can recall, that was never the narrative in Miami. I mean, he was joining Wade and some of the core that had already won a championship, so it could have never been all about him carrying them. I think, if anything, it was the opposite; he was bailing out.

If he joins the Rockets, he will be joining a 65 win team that was 1 win away from getting to the Finals. He will also be much more justified, because Durant joined a 73 win team, so he would just be adding more parity by joining the Rockets.

Although it's probably very low odds Lebron and the Rockets end up together, one thing is for sure, and it makes me die a little bit inside: I am rooting for the Warriors in the Finals. Not only for them to win, but to do it convincingly. To make Lebron question the sanity of staying in Cleveland. To make Lebron only have one choice, the clear choice. To help out his injured friend who was so close to making it, but needed an extra oomph to get over the hump. It'll make him a hero, helping CP3 get his ring, thanks to the savior Lebron James.

I know, it makes me feel all dirty inside, but I can't help it. Go Warriors!

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

You highlight the topics of perception and fraud and default to unearned. In a just world that may have mattered. It doesn't any more. Everybody sees championships the same way. They only remember who won. Perception disappears and only reality remains. The Rockets won the championship Monday night. I saw it with my own eyes every minute and you did too. What more do the Rockets need to earn? The Rockets cannot play this perception game. I will not accept any more Monday nights or being lovable losers. Hell we're hated anyway. A Rockets dynasty will be earned and who cares what a few people think. No one is magically going to love us tomorrow and had we been playing in the Finals now everyone would still be talking about the Warriors and saying we got lucky. Only a dynasty that leaves the NBA a desolate wasteland will make the lasting mark WE NEED. If you want justice you have to enforce it. Either you want to win or you want to live in Westbrook's world. Those are the choices. Harden and CP3 have made their choice and so has the rest of the team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Morey wowed Andre Iguodala with his presentation for not only how he could sign him but how he would fit in our offense. Morey did it to force GSW to overpay him but Andre would have signed here no question. Aldridge was blown away by how much Morey had considered how he would play in our system. Morey has consistently said that he has studied no player more than LBJ and forces all of his analytics guys to verify on their own who is the best player and if they don't arrive at LBJ they don't make the cut. Morey designed this team and the way we play, SPECIFICALLY to fit star and especially the primary star, LBJ. His presentation to LBJ would be second to none if it wasn't already presented to him through CP3. Trust me, LBJ fits our team like a glove and excels at the same style. We have the most flexible structure that would highlight LeBron being LeBron with none of the OKMe BS. LBJ is a drama queen off the court but 100% business on it. There is literally nothing he does that does not scream 100% BBIQ just like CP3. The knock on him this season was that he was lazy on D, like Harden has been in the past, because he had to carry the whole load. Sounds familiar. Here he would return to complete form. D'Antoni and Morey and CP3 and Harden already know all of the LBJ specific plays by heart. He could play on the team tomorrow and they wouldn't miss a beat.

Here you will see LBJ mellow a bit. Yes he is a drama queen but there was DRAMA. The coaches sucked, the FO had problems, so LBJ interfered with a lot of short sighted moves geared toward winning. The stability here is the only reason he is coming here. That is the major selling point and not going to be the same source of frustration. LBJ knows he is not smarter and a better deal maker than Morey but also that Morey will actually listen to him and put the best team out there. Same with Tilman. Tilman did not buy this team to be cheap. He needs that LBJ and championship valuation added to the franchise. After a few championships this franchise might reach a $3.5B to $4B valuation with the extra China saturation.

hakeem94 and rimrocker like this.
  14. fattz

fattz Member

It’s not about B.B. is about having two older stars both sign large and long. It will work for a season or two maybe three but 4 & 5 years from now are going to be brutal. CP3 fell apart this year so let’s sign him for 5 more years of wear on a body that is not trustworthy now. LaBron is a person and time will catch him too. LJ & CP are going to want to get paid well and long. (This is their last chance to make money like this => they would be silly to take anything other than extended maximum contract with little if any performance bonuses). Retirement? Why would anyone walk way from a contact that pays better than most state lotteries? You don’t like Anderson? Just sign and wait around for these contracts to sour.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I prefer to root for a Houston Rockets NBA team, rather than a Houston Rockets NBA 2K team.

Most excitement I could muster rooting for a Lebron frankenteam (nod to @B-Bob) is saying to my buddy, "OK, that worked; we won. Do you wanna go another round, or are you getting bored?" as if we were playing NBA 2K.

HP3 likes this.
  16. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Do you think Warrior fans are tired of winning?

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Does anyone remember the original hype of Chuck joining DR34M and Clyde? Were they realistically expected to match up with and beat Chicago or was everyone hoping to just get out of the West? I don't really remember as i was out of the country at that time of leading up to and actually going through with the trade for Chuck.

I know it's definitely not the same. Just curious. Players seem to just last longer in this era. Chuck as hard as he played on the court, clearly didn't really take care of his body, especially not like LeBron. Clyde is very similar to CP3 as they're roughly the same age when they became Rockets with a history of missing games due to little injuries here and there and Clyde retired at only 35. Harden just coming off an MVP at 28 compared to Hakeem winning an MVP and and 2 FMVP exiting his prime so it was almost expected there would be a drop off and injuries coming by 35 years old where it's expected Harden still has 4 years minimum of prime ball left.
    It's almost very similar with the only difference being Harden is in his prime and LeBron is the 2nd best player ever who is a freak of nature and still clearly the best today with what seems to be an improved jumper(who knows if he can keep it up bc there was a time in Miami where he was nailing it too before dropping off again which is the tell tale sign of an inconsistent jumper).
    Losing all our depth to get LeBron and an injury prone CP3 missing games in a 7 game series probably can't get it done against GS. LeBron can be Karl Malone and just keep bulldozing his way to monster stats for another near decade which would be absolutely insane, or he could out of nowhere have a career ending/altering injury like Kobe at 34 who people forget was playing out of his mind leading up to the Achilles injury. I'm sure while Kobe was going NUTS carrying his team to the playoffs, Lakers fans were dreaming of Kobe doing it till he was 40 years old. Injuries can come out of no where. LeBron has a ton of mileage on him. Will coach REALLY rest LeBron and extend his career? I really don't think so man. MDA never plays young guys like Kerr will. He's just going to shorten the rotation when we lose our depth and play LeBron and Harden crazy minutes and wear them out by the real Finals against GS.

I just worry a bit to come up short even after signing LeBron and how the smug douche bags in GS would be laughing at us. It would also be a huge hit on Brons legacy if he still couldn't get more rings with Harden and Cp3.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You miss my point.

Anyhoot, I’m just answering the OP question. Not trying to convince anyone, but am interested in those who “feel me”

B-Bob and HP3 like this.
  19. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

There are also people on here that can’t tell the refs rigged game 6 and 7.

That tells us nothing other than that incredibly stupid people have parents that spoil them with computers they don’t deserve.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Being immersed with them here in the Bay Area, I can tell you this: the real basketball people who've followed the Warriors through all the grim years (few and far between, but I know some of them from hooping with them) are honestly bored. Some are even skipping finals games. Yes, like us. It's not required viewing b/c the outcome is not in doubt at all. But for the idiot put-a-flag-on-the-car, would-never-understand-charge-versus-block fan? Yes, they are very excited and will never be "tired of winning."

I would like to belong the Rockets version of the former category for the rest of my life, thank you. I enjoyed the crap out of 1994 and 1995 b/c they were hard and amazing. Our only cheat code was the beauty and grace of Olajuwon.