1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pardon: trump pardons Dinesh D’Souza

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, May 31, 2018.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just for a second, if we can, pull away from other people "bashing" Trump. Forget them.

What do you think of Trump? How are you digesting his new trade war with our allies in Europe and Canada? How are you digesting this disturbing audio of his main lawyer, Cohen, losing his head and basically threatening a reporter during the campaign? Do you think Cohen is surrounding oneself with "the best people"? I'd seriously like to know how you're digesting things. I'm not bashing anybody -- these are factual topics and we can all form our own opinions about them.

I get hating liberals and criticizing the critics and so on, but at some point, you have your own views of 45.

CometsWin, NewRoxFan and KingCheetah like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

HOLD MY BEER...

Nook, CometsWin and NewRoxFan like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

He said he posts things from both sides and you called him a DNC bot.

I was musing to you how “right wing” moved further to the right.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've noticed that with Trump supporters, it isn't about nuanced knowledge of his policy decisions and his overall rhetoric they will defend and praise but rather the hate he draws.

The country will be ruined by millions of people who vote based on this premise.

Rashmon, NewRoxFan and CometsWin like this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I would very honestly be willing to shut up for a whole year if it really meant that the millions of Trump fans would actually review his statements, the people around him, and his obvious attacks on the structure of our democracy.

6. Nook

Nook Member

“ERRR FUKKKK OFFF!!! OBAMA THE MUSLIM KENYAN WIRE TAPPED TRUMP! ROSEANNE RAILROADED! I WANT MY JOB AT THE MILL BACK!! WE NEED MORE GUNS!!!”

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand why the right champions the pardoning of a criminal. I guess if you attack the Clintons you can get away with murder and still be a hero.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You have to understand that this is a board that skews pretty far to the left, compared to those on the fringes of the left, the center is "far right".

9. Buck Turgidson

I have tried with Trump supporters. I have yet to find one who can articulate exactly what policies they support and why. Trade? Foreign Policy/Diplomacy? Twitter? Military? Or what Deputies (for lack of a better word) are good, qualified people. Or why half of the White House seems to be under investigation. Or why does he need to constantly lie (easily proven) about almost everything? Or why us red-blooded Americans suddenly distrust law enforcement, but only on a federal level, state and local law enforcement should not be questioned (especially when dealing with minorities). Etc. Etc. Etc.

All I've ever gotten are regurgitated talking points that are basically 90% b.s.

Nook likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He’s a great negotiator. That one always come up.

I guess if you view a crazy man, burn down everything as a normal starting position, you got a point.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I can't speak for Trump supporters really as I've never been one, but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of his "support" comes from those who simply preferred him to the alternative. No matter what flaws you point to, you have to consider the alternative and to a lot of people, Trump is preferable.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

COMEDY GOLD

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's a good thread, although I skipped ahead a bit and will have to go back to see if someone mentioned, This also seems a not-so-subtle nod to the base. Pardoning a guy who also was not above hating the black President, to the tune of documentaries, "boy", "ghetto".

If it's anti-Obama, Trump will push the button.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There is certainly a lot of truth in this. It was also unfortunate the Republicans didn't have a better candidate (or the Democrats for that matter). It was surprising how many eventual Trump supporters fell for his 'drain the swamp' schtick and thought his little nicknames were humorous and voted for him because he was not a politician and said things that weren't politically correct. I do see a lot of the "never Hillary" supporters now defend Trump vigorously regardless of what he does.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Funny how fox trump news is all over this guy too... every host has him on. A confessed campaign fraud...

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think we saw a lot of people fall in line and end up supporting people they never thought that they would support be it Republicans buying in to Trump because tribalism or Democrats buy in to Hillary because tribalism. I said it then, and I'll certainly say it again that I truly hope that this past presidential election is the bottom of the barrel and that it won't get any worse. I don't want another election where I feel like I have to abstain from voting on principle because literally no one running (this includes fringe party candidates like Libertarian, Green, or whatever) is worthy of support.

That said, I expect at least one more election where I can't support either major party candidate because Trump is likely to run for re-election and I'll never vote for him under any circumstances and the DNC is likely to nominate an anti-civil liberties candidate given the direction they seem to be headed in and I simply can't support that either. At some point we have to hope for sanity to be restored and for a return to the center....I just don't yet see it on the horizon.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If these were the two worst candidates, why did we end up with them?

From my view, there was a lack of choice on the left (and yes, that has to do with DNC favoring Clinton) and a selection process on the right where the most extreme candidate has a great chance to win the nomination. You still see that selection process play out on the right since Trump. That selection process can easily be an issue on the left as well. Our primary system is broken, giving more power to extremist and less power to independent and moderate.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

On the left it was arrogance, they assumed that no matter who they nominated they would win...which nearly was true....but they managed to find one of the few people in the US that was terrible enough to lose to Trump.

On the right, you had a primary with 17 candidates which allowed Trump to win early states with like 30% of the vote and by the time enough candidates started dropping out, Trump had already won so many states that he was the presumptive nominee....which was the only way he had a chance. If there had been only 3 candidates, there's no chance we'd have ended up with Trump.

So really it was a combination of mistakes that gave us the sh*t show that was the 2016 presidential election.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The arrogant can be addressed more easily. DNC fked up.

Not as easily a fix on the right as you witness Republicans running away (retiring) and extreme candidates again winning state and local nomination.