1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm about done with the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by what, May 29, 2018.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

There IS a psychological component and physical addiction to smoking (nicotine) btw

So I'm referring to the psychological component of quitting the NBA.

superfob likes this.
  2. Exiled

Exiled Member

you should wait for Chandler Parson to have his 4th season ending surgery

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Rudy Gay isn't done with you.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mike Conley loves you!

See you, man! :rolleyes:

#24 daywalker02, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope you retire a Rocket.

6. clippy

clippy Member

Hi Rockets fans. I used to post here many years ago. I remember 'what' during the epic but ultimately meaningless Clippers/Grizzlies battles circa 2012-13. I wanted to chime in here because I happened to think of y'all while watching the screwjobs that were game 6 and 7.

For the record, I pretty much stopped watching the NBA several years ago. I only tune into the rare good playoff matchup, which I had all but written off with Coward Kevin's decision. But when you guys managed to make it 2-2 I had to tune in as I would have liked to see CP3 make it to the Finals as I'm sure all of you do (counter to the sentiment during my earlier times here when y'all hated him lol).

Anyway, I can't say I was surprised by the officiating. I've been complaining about it for years and ultimately decided to put my money where my mouth is and stop investing so much into this rigged sport. Obviously you guys are devastated but realize that the odds were greatly stacked against you before the series even began. The guys at the top will always cater to the teams with the greatest fan following and that is clearly GSW right now, mostly because they have managed to acquire the entire Laker Nation bandwagon during that franchise's desolate period. The hypocrisy is hilarious because NorCal and SoCal historically hate one another but Laker Nation is shameless and insecure.

When you tell people that a major sport is rigged they think you are a conspiracy nut because they assume you are saying it is a script like the WWE, with officals, players, and others in on it. But it can't have so many moving parts because then it would get exposed and people would go to jail. Instead, what the league does is look very carefuly at ref tendencies and assign ones that give them the desired outcome, usually extending a series or improving the odds that a desired team advances. It is not foolproof because the players aren't in on the fix and they still have the most say in the game. But officials can do more to influence an NBA game than any other major sport, from getting a player into foul trouble to targetting a player to calling the game a certain way to penalize physical or finesse teams. Casual fans don't notice these things because no one really knows what constitutes a foul in basketball so ref decisions may seem arbitrary, but those of us who know the officials can see what is up.

I espoused my theory on this several times, including five years ago about when I stopped getting so emotionally worked up over this ****. For example:

NBA Is Rigged? Fan Shows Some Suspect Proof The NBA Needs Lakers In The Playoffs

Back then the bandwagon was the Lakers, the media darling Kobe, and the head fixer Joey Crawford. Now we've got the Warriors, Curry, and Scott Foster. A turd is still a turd.

It is a real shame to see this kind of stuff going on in sports, but we a fake news, reality tv culture. If it gives you any solace, even in the Rockets had shot better, chances are the refs would have simply upped their game to give the Dubs more calls. They wee obviously shameless with some of those calls and non-calls and in a few days no one will bring it up again.

fallenphoenix, ChrisP, jcf and 8 others like this.
  7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Granted there were easily 5-6 calls in game 7 that should have gone Houston’s way, the ‘rigged theory’ is debunked by Klay Thompson being in early foul trouble and missing most of the half.

No way the refs do that if they were explicitly trying to help GS win.

It was just bad officiating and even worse 3 point shooting that cost the Rockets.

juanm34 and daywalker02 like this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've honestly watched like an average of less than 10 games a season post yao/mergady. it's nice to not get too emotionally invested when you know your team willnget bounced in the playoffs. this year was different and i watched a few more tham 10, especially playoffs (even non rox games, yuck) because i thought this could be the year and i wanted to be able to talk about it in the garm for once. i guess astros got us all so excited.

should've guessed silver already made 2 reservations for the finals and the color red wasn't one.

pippendagimp likes this.
  9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I'll never stop watching the NBA, it's my favorite sports don't care if the rockets are really great, descent or below average team, am gonna support then no matter what, we all know the NBA is corrupt and rigged and NBA office would definitely give the upper hand for the better market, but honestly i'll never stop watching the Rockets, this season has been special definitely the best season I've ever witnessed have watched about 90% of the regular season games this year and never missed single minute of the playoffs, we were so damn close to reaching the final and I truly have no doubt that we will reach the WCF again next season and dethrone the warriors.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I know you overslept CL finals,
    but I know you are invested in LFC! YNWA.
    Some no calls were as bad.

#30 daywalker02, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Jontro likes this.
  11. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

North Korea isn’t an oligarchy, wtf?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's worse.

13. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

i don't have time for you.

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

we're they legit & phantom fouls called on klay?

when klay was missing, was he being fouled and not being called?

Jontro likes this.
  15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The refs WERE explicitly trying to help the Warriors win. They just weren't gonna do it from the opening tip. You watch enough NBA basketball and you figure out how the refs manipulate games. Sometimes it's putting a key player in foul trouble. Other times it's allowing more contact by one team than the other. Or they're suddenly calling a lot of offensive fouls on screens. A lot of times I've seen refs with a bunch of early whistles so one team gets into the penalty within 3-4 minutes.

Once you do that, it's actually pretty easy to control the flow of the game from that point on. If you don't call what's typically a foul, players will become uncertain and alter their shot selection. God knows we see Harden do that if he's not getting to the line on his drives. If you put a team in the penalty right away, then every touch foul you call will send the other team to the line(see Game 6 between the Kings and Lakers in 2002). Put someone in foul trouble and the other team could go on a run(Ariza with 5 fouls in the 3rd quarter of Game 1 of the WCF, Westbrook with 4 fouls in the first half of Game 4 at Utah).

The reason it seemed so egregious in the Rockets-Warriors series is that the Rockets shocked everyone by going up by 17 points in the first half of Game 6 and 15 points in the first half of Game 7. Aside from Game 2(which the league was happy for the Rockets to win in order to even it at 1-1), that was not how the series had played out. Game 1 was tied at the half. Game 3 was a Warriors blowout. And Games 4 and 5 were back-and-forth all night with the Rockets securing narrow victories.

With the Rockets up so big and the Warriors shorthanded with no Iggy, the refs had to go into overdrive in the 2nd and 3rd quarters with swallowing the whistles for Golden State which is why suddenly the Rockets were getting hammered on 3's and drives and receiving no free throws. It's why Klay picked up 3 early fouls in Game 7 and only one the rest of the way(and the 4-point play he gave up was waved off). It's why Harden got 9 free throws in the first half of Game 6 and 0 in the second half.

Richie_Rich, Jake Tower and YOLO like this.
  16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

[​IMG]

17. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Rigged or not, when NBA players start questioning refs, you know somethings going on.

htownrox1 likes this.
  18. Yaaz y2k

Yaaz y2k Member

AGREE FOR SURE LOL LEBRON COMES BACK FROM A 73-9 TEAM DOWN 3-1 AND NOW THE ROCKETS LOOSE BOTH GAMES AFTER LEADING BY 15 IN HALF HAHAHAA LOOKED FAKE IN 3RD QUATER AND CURRY AND DURANT SAW IT COMMING

19. Yaaz y2k

Yaaz y2k Member

PLZ PEOPLE WATCH REAL SPORT LIKE HOCKEY ....NBA IS CURROPT AND RUN BY DEVIL WORSHIPPERS ....LEBRON IS THE BIGGEST ONE OF THEM

20. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

The game started out called fairly, then when they saw Rockets were gonna blow out GS, things were adjusted to non-calls in favor of Warriors.