1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tillman gotta to keep Chris want to keep Clint

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, May 28, 2018.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I'd sign Capela before CP

2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I’m all for CP’s minute restriction, that would also mean we’d need to sign someone else who created their own shot, other than Gordon.

Cap aside, someone like Redick would be spectacular on this team.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is not happening, and it'll really hurt, but it's necessary.

4. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

What are the chances that Harden restructures his contract to take less and CP takes less than max if it means bringing in Lebron or PG13?

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Even if he signs for the min, Rockets would be only $10 mm below the max.

6. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Amazing lol

hakeem94 and lw17 like this.
  7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

You can't restructure contracts in the NBA.

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  8. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Really??? Dang... didnt know that. I thought that's how GSW got all their contracts to work ( i could be totally wrong here too)

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

It's because KD's contract is structured to be renewed every year basically since joining the Warriors with a player option in the 2nd year.

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Lol.

For all the analytics that Daryl uses... I mean for f-sake, the guy runs an analytics conference with MIT... sure he can do the SIMPLEST analytics in the world.

Injured in playoffs every year = injured in playoffs every year.

bear in mind, CP3 also only played 59 games this year.. he got plenty of rest.

Ha, welcome to the "haters" club.

If CP3 stayed healthy. If the Rockets didn't miss so many three pointers. If the refs didn't screw them. If Ryan Anderson wasn't useless....
    All those things happened.

Here's the truth of the matter... the GSW will still be dominant in 3-4 years. The only way they won't is if the players themselves decide they don't like it and want to venture out on their own. They're based in a city just as "rich" as a LAL or NYK. They're moving into a brand new SF based facility. They'll have to pay a **** ton of luxury tax, but players will take some cuts (as KD did) to lessen it a bit, and they'll keep the party rolling. All the major players for GSW are basically the same age or younger than the Rockets star guys.

So if you're rebuilding for 3-4 years down the road, you basically have to be doing so by getting young players that are "likely" to be superstars in 3-4 years, and ready for multiple playoff runs for the 5-8 years thereafter.

Which absolutely is a crapshoot.

It's really kind of pointless even discussing it. Fertita didn't blow his wad to miss the playoffs. That said, if you want to think about random never going to happen hypotheticals... offer Harden to Phoenix for Booker+1st pick. They probably say no. Booker is no Harden... not close, but a 21 year old putting up 25 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4.7 apg on 38% three point shooting. Maybe if you take Tyson Chandler's contract and Brandon Knight's contracts. Resign Clint (he's only 23). Sign and trade CP3 to Cleveland for Clarkson, JR Smith and the 8th pick. Move Gordon + 8th pick for the 2nd or 3rd pick (won't happen... but we're dreaming here!!). Draft Doncic and Bagley.

Clarkson, Booker, Doncic, Bagley, Clint.

Have MDA revert to his run and gun high powered offense - look, MDA can coach offense, multiple ways. This team would be horrible at defense, but super super young, fun to watch, could maybe sneak into the 8th seed, have cap room in the future and have their "window" ready in 4 years.

11. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Cp3 isn't going to take max money. He understands what he needs to do to help rockets remain a contender.

rockets1995 and BigShasta like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can you come up with someone better than Clarkson, I know there is a better prospect out there.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

No 5th Year. He's like 33 already. I wouldn't do 4th year too but other teams could offer him 4 year deal so might have to do that 4th year.

14. macan

macan Member

CP is not gonna win a ring if he goes somewhere else this summer

15. brosef

brosef Member

the CP is old argument doesn't exactly add up with the sign lebron argument. Lebron is older. Yeah CP isnt the specimen Lebron is but numbers are numbers. Hes still a little younger.

CP even with the soft tissue issues is the leader a team with Harden and another star needs.

BigShasta likes this.
  16. JayZ750

Ha! Well this should probably go in a different "daydreaming" thread.

Here's the Cavs payroll: https://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland_cavaliers/

I assumed CP3 would resign in the $25-$30 million range for the Cavs and a chance to go from WCF participant to Finals participant next year if/as Lebron stays.

The crown of that trade would be the 8th pick. Which could be a complete bust, but at this point in his career, with his injuries, with his contract needs, I don't really see you getting more than the 8th pick in asset value for CP3. When you consider the Rockets could theoretically get "nothing" for him anyway, its as solid a get as you can get if you decided to move on from CP3.

Or more to the point, in a world where Lebron DOESN'T come to Houston, where Paul George DOESN'T come to Houston (those holding out hope for this are insane... the guy wants to go to California... CLEARLY)... and you have to decide "run it again" or "do something drastic"... well you can ONLY get value for CP3 in a sign and trade... and you can ONLY do that if he's game for it. So you're basically ONLY looking at a reunion of the banana boat club in Cleveland instead of Houston.

So you get what you get. Maybe you can coerce Cleveland into adding Nance or Hood (if Hood accepts the qualifying offer, which theoreticaly he shouldn't but given how bad he was in the playoffs maybe he'll have to...??).

17. JayZ750

CP3 isn't old (well... he is, but that's not the issue). He's injury prone.

Kareem played "heathy" well into his late 30's/early 40s. Malone, Stockton.

ALTHOUGH... the difference between young and injury prone (Kyrie) and old and injury prone (CP3) is that with young you have legitimate hope of the player perhaps "growing" out of it.

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Part of it is gambling on variance -- hoping guys can stay healthy just long enough to make it work. Eric Gordon was a great example of it -- he missed an average of 35 games a year after his rookie year, but he was a borderline star when healthy. He was a free agent with Ryan Anderson (and even coming from the same team) and both got 4 year deals -- Ryno got $80 million, and Gordon got $53 million.

19. Raven

Raven Member

If the Rockets give Chris Paul a max, I'm going to puke.

20. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I think at this point in his career, CP3 wants to cement his legacy with a championship and knows the Rockets are his best chance at doing that. Where else would he go that has as good of a shot at a title? Cleveland, Boston, Philly, Golden State? None of those are sure things (or even necessarily want him). If he plays for a winning Houston team, anything he loses in the salary cap he can make up with less taxes and endorsements (that will pay more and longer if he stays winning). For those reasons, I think he already has a deal worked out with Morey where he gets X amount of dollars, probably a player option, but those dollars can be distributed over 3 or 5 years, depending on what else shakes out. For example, If it helps bring in Lebron, he'll take a year over year paycut but a longer contract, like Nene did. If Houston doesn't land a star, he gets a max but only for 3 years or so. He probably gets a player option too.

With Clint, I think the Rockets have mapped out a million free agency scenarios, and about 80% involve bringing Clint back. There are situations where he might get squeezed out due to superstar additions, or he and his agent force Rockets hand and he signs a prohibitive offer sheet early in the summer. I'm hopeful he's back but if he takes a lot of money elsewhere I won't blame him. He's worked hard and is due his reward.