1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The inevitable September Collapse of the Texas Rangers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

The only thing that could improve that clip would to have it been Odor or Profar catching it in the face!

2. msn

msn Member

When did that happen?! That's hilarious!

3. Buck Turgidson

Thursday.

4. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

My bad if this has been posted before. I tried going back, but only made it through six pages, haha. This video is GOLD! This dudes channel is absolutely hilarious. Every sports fan should check it out. He pretty much roast every team.

The Texas Rangers: A Legacy of Failure

*NSFW language*

#844 Creepy Crawl, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
    CrushCity likes this.
  5. vince

vince Member

Prior to last season, the Rangers knew they had the Astros number. They discovered last season, that the Astros got that monkey off their back.

Meanwhile the Cleveland Indians have had the Astros number recently, but they are next in discovering that the Astros are riding themselves of that mental monkey.

Jake Tower and Houstunna like this.
  6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Don't forget the Astros version:

7. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Yes I watched that as well. I just discovered that channel about 2 weeks ago. I think I've watched everything on there already, haha. The Rangers video was so damn funny, and true. Anything that makes fun of Dallas, gets two thumbs up for me.

Jake Tower likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Does anyone think Seattle is REAL ?

texans1095 likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They have some decent pieces, but until they put it together... or are beating the Astros in head to head matchups consistently, there really isn’t much to be concerned about.

Astros should hold their own vs any division opponent.

texans1095 likes this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We have 15 more games against them including 2 next week.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No, but luck happens in baseball, we got burned a few years back by it. They are winning one run games at a comical level right now.

If they continue to get really lucky, then they might stay closer than one would like.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Right. If the Astros win the majority of them, they’ll keep Seattle at bay.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In an article where the question "which team has been the biggest positive surprise this season", David Schoenfield wrote:

Schoenfield: The Mariners, especially given the Robinson Cano suspension, plus mediocre starts from Kyle Seager and Nelson Cruz, plus Felix Hernandez sitting there with a 5.58 ERA. They keeping finding ways to win close games (15-8 in one-run games and 5-0 in extra innings), and maybe this will be one of those years where everything goes their way. On the other hand, their rotation is thin, the outfield lacks power other than Mitch Haniger, and they have 31 games left against the Astros and Angels (and haven't played the Red Sox or Yankees)

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

To the same question, Bradford Doolittle wrote:

Doolittle: I'm going out of the box with this one and saying the Astros. I had them forecast to win 100 games, and yet they have improved their projection since the preseason more than any other team. And the bullpen hasn't even been that great so far, and some of their key offensive players -- Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa, Yuli Gurriel -- have not quite found their level. It's a scary team.

msn and CrushCity like this.
  15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

NO

They will revert to the average. They have a great record in 1 run games as pointed out above. They are also 13 games over .500 with a +13 run differential, while the Astros are 15 games over .500 with a +127 run differential. The Astros have vastly under-performed their record to run differential, while the Mariners have vastly over--performed theirs.

In theory the Astros should be like 48-7 with their +127, while the Mariners should be like 26-22 with their +13.

16. msn

msn Member

I know Seattle is real. I've been there.
    #badummTSSS

peleincubus likes this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I know this is probably correct...but I also remember the 2016 Rangers who had a negative run differential, and won the division by 9 games.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While I wouldn't say run-diff is irrelevant, it doesn't necessarily translate to wins/losses in the confines of a single season, as you aptly point out.

While our 2018 offensive run-diff points to a prolific offense, it doesn't point to a consistent one.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

2016 Rangers team is the luckiest team in last half a decade. If Mariners get that lucky, Astros still likely win the division though it would probably be close.

While what you say is true, run differential is more predictive of future wins and losses than wins and losses. If Astros lose the division, it will be because someone else likely won 100+games or there is a horrible number of injuries.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member