1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Green just stands in the lane, what to do ????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, May 26, 2018.

1. smp

smp Member

I'm not saying he will be able to seal off Green. I'm just saying to try it. Make Green work. We can't just let him relax in the paint waiting for our guys.

jboslett likes this.
  2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

agreed. i would like to try Ryno at the 5.

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Make better passes out of the drive. If an extra defender is meeting you, somebody's open.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Ryan time with the Rockets is over...i feel.

And i just don't see how MDA is going to play him at home when he didn't even trusted him on the road.

5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He's a brilliant defensive player who also gets the benefit of the doubt on a lot of plays. Unless he goes nuts again and goes for some Rocket nuts he's still going to own the defensive paint. Right now, the best strategy is unfortunately to play Capela less and hope Tucker is hot so he can drag him out of the paint.

today and jboslett like this.
  6. MD_in_Training

Ryno is completely useless against any team that switches. I think we have learned this the hard way this past year.

hakeem94 and Vivi like this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

donkey parked in the lane...

8. MD_in_Training

The most obvious thing I see there is an open GG.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

harden missed GG, but it's not mandatory he pass to him. refs miss a defensive 3 sec violation and obvious foul. and mauer & malloy have been 'missing' stuff like this in big games for the unpromoted teams going back decades. they were brought back to work this series again because they actually do their "job" very well.

10. jboslett

jboslett Member

I remember saying Green would kill us at the rim and people doubted. This guy is a legit defensive player of the year. Has shut down the harden to CC connection, and completely kept CC off the boards.

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

Email Morey & Rockets to send tapes to the league about how Green never leaves the lane.

Quick, time is of essence!

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Dude just stands there and hacks anyone that drives, it's pretty crazy. I guess that's good 'defense' nowdays.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

league revenue

JayGoogle and Drift Monkey like this.
  14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Saw it a few times...
    was thinkin - "cool - he got a lane, lets pop this up..."
    ...no... i guess we're gonna go into the crowd under the basket, cover up and then try to dump it off to CC...
    ...that looked like a trainwreck - and we turned it over...
    ...smh....

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yep this is very true. The problem is gordon who i love for his scoring ability needs to learn how to be a playmaker. With paul, harden, tucker, gordon, and ariza we have two guys who know how to make that pass and can see the open man. Without paul it leaves harden and if harden doesn't have the ball in his hands it allows green to stand in the paint. This year showed exactly why we need a second playmaker. We really need the gods to shine some good luck.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

macan likes this.
  17. today

today Contributing Member

I think this is the most important problem for coach to solve. Here are some thoughts that I tweeted out earlier tonight:

All series Green has been challenging shooters at the rim. Watch 3Q possession at 3:18. We pull Green away from weak side block help spot and Ariza gets layup attempt without backside help. Swap EGo for Ariza and run that in gm 7.

Getting Green in foul trouble is HUGE. If he goes to the bench, then we can finish at the rim with ease. We have to hope that the refs on Monday will call the body contact that Green dishes out at the rim. He rarely fouls with arms, but consistently fouls with his body.

Green also does a GREAT job at blocking out Capela, but he locks him down by reaching both hands behind him and holding onto Capela. When he feels Capela jumping over him, he will lean over and drive his butt into Capela and take out his legs, forcing Capela to fall fwd onto him.

Green is awesome at stopping the lob. he shows enough to force the pass & then recovers as capela comes from baseline to catch the lob. Green hip checks Capela mid-air in the thigh/knee area, pushing Clint off balance. This was a foul all year & in rds 1&2, but not this series.

I feel like running combination screens and double back picks might help us manipulate their defense to pull Green away from the goal. I also like the idea of changing Capela's point of attack from the opposite baseline (launch pad position) to the opposite high post.

With Clint in the high post, Green helps down on Harden to challenge at the rim. If James can't get the layup, then he has 2 pass options to hit Capela on a downhill dive: Over the head backward lob for a dunk -or- pass it high off the backboard for Capela to dunk.

@Codman: What are your thoughts on how we can draw Green away from the basket?

#37 today, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Oh yeah then what happens on defense?

Ryan Scrubberson is mentally done, he can't handle the pressure and will just pass back the ball every time.

19. today

today Contributing Member

I agree, but I think that Capela needs to be positioned at the high post to put Green in a different spot. When Clint is in the "Launching Pad" position on the opposite baseline, it allows Green to just sit under the rim.

Also, if Harden waits until Green jumps to contest his shot, and THEN passes to Capela, that will cut down on Green being able to recover and challenge Clint.

Beating his man and driving to his left down the left side of the lane, Harden can try to beat the help (Green) to the rim. If he can't get a layup, then Capela is diving downhill on the right-hand side of the lane at the same time, following Green as he leaves to help. James can either throw the left handed over the shoulder/head lob to Capela, or he can pass it high off the backboard to Clint for the dunk.

Either way, Clint is catching the ball in the air ready to dunk it. Not catching it on the ground and having to take a full gather step before going up for a shot. It takes way too much time and allows Green to recover and contest.

20. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Ryno is a joke...I mean an absolute joke. You could take 21 mil and throw it into Lake Livingston and get more for your money.