1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA Today: suns plan to offer max to capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2018.

1. hakeemthagreat

No cap expert. But if we sign Capela to the deal he wants, will that impact us resigning CP3? Also what about other guys like PJ & Luc?

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

We can still sign CP3 since I believe we have his bird rights. The other guys may be a bit tougher?

3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

My fella ain’t going nowhere. The suns can keep admiring him from a distance like the rest of the NBA.

CapelaOnlyFan and Tfor3 like this.
  4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Phoenix may end up with a big man at the top of the draft.

I’m sure they are aiming for doncic and maxxing capela. But they may end up taking ayton and skipping capela.

None the less, we are going to match any offer

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's going to be near impossible for the Rockets to function trying to use cap space to add a free agent.

It basically comes down to keep Capela and pay tax, or not have Capela and be unable to replace him. It isn't as if we can let Capela walk and use that cap space to sign somebody else. This is strictly about Tilman's wallet and how much pain he's willing to endure.

From the Phoenix side, if they did max him out and we didn't match, that would be a stupid f**king move on their part. Capela is not going to make a bad team a good team, he isn't gonna move the meter for your franchise. Only if you have the pieces and system around him can his skills flourish, and they don't.

6. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

This doesn't make me nervous. The way D'antoni and Morey talk to the media, almost feels like they have a wink wink deal with Capela already in place. My guess is that they decided to eschew their normal strategy of matching whatever a rival team offers and instead offering him a max up front, agreeing in principle but not signing until the end of free agency. Capela is different that Parsons because he's clearly worth the max, whereas as beloved as Parsons was at the time, Morey knew the fit was funny and he wasn't necessarily worth it. If Rockets truly think he's worth the max, might as well sign him to a deal they draft for as long as possible, and worst case scenario he is a tradable asset down the line. That way you also get around the issue of signing him to one of those weird restricted free agent contracts that is ladened with player options and weird incentives.

So yeah, my official prediction is that at the beginning of free agency anonymous sources will leak that Capela and Rockets have agreed to a four year, $90M+ contract, but they won't announce it officially until end of summer when he actually signs it, so the Rockets have the summer to operate with Capela's low cap hold.

Tfor3 and da_juice like this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

If we have to lose him, then let's sign&trade him to Phoenix for prospects, waivable contracts, AND their first-round pick this year, then take either Ayton or Bamba and send them to DreamCamp.

"The Suns would never make that deal!"

Hey, they're the Phoenix Suns. Never say never.

da_juice likes this.
  8. photojoe

photojoe Member

Capela is worth a ton.... on this team.

He is just about the perfect thing to ask for a Center playing alongside Paul and Harden. He is quick up and down the floor, he sets good screens and rim runs/lobs, we can see him improving tremendously at rim protection and the best thing about him is he plays within our offense.

But on another team, I'm just not sure if I see it? He doesn't create offense for himself. He doesn't command double teams in the post.
    Phoenix should be looking to build pieces that fit around Booker. Booker is a great scorer, but he is not even in the same universe as a playmaker as Paul and Harden.

Pat, malakas, da_juice and 3 others like this.
  9. photojoe

photojoe Member

Why would Phoenix do that? They have the cap space to offer him a max outright and try to get him without giving up assets if that's what they wanted to do.

Different situation than the CP3 trade, where we had to do a sign and trade to free up our cap space for Paul, the Clippers wanted to do the sign and trade to get assets back, but Paul had the leverage to force the Clippers to get whatever they can or else he would walk for nothing for them.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

The league requires them to spend the money somewhere. They probably figure they're not going to find somebody with more potential to spend their cap space on, and I can't blame them. Capela doesn't have any real shot creation abilities yet, but he's only 23, and he's shown flashes. Some prospects come out from the draft not much younger than that.

Maybe he doesn't evolve into a true star due to his scoring, and is always just a really great system player. But he has a chance and the work ethic to make the most of it.

Regardless, Morey should match any offer for him (unless losing him is involved in some deal for LeBron). We're not going to get a better big man for our system in free agency... just not going to happen.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, he's going to get max so that is his value whether we like it or not.

When you look at his numbers, he's putting up all-star numbers for a center. Jordan doesn't do what he does, it looks like it on paper but he doesn't. Jordan isn't going to eurostep through the paint and finish with a soft touch. He's just not.

When you look at the potential of big men, look at their feet, look at their agility. Jordan is a stiff compared to Capela.

Also, his defense is not as good because he won't be easily switchable like Capela is able to.

Is Draymond Green worth the max? That's what Capela does for this team. He's not replaceable, not by the likes of DeAndre Jordan.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Unlike what Morey's done in the past when he's let the market dictate a restricted FA's value, my guess is that Fertitta, Morey, CP, and Harden won't even let CC get to another team's negotiation table and sign him to a fair deal as soon as the season ends.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The only we Capela isn’t a Rocket next year is because Lebron is on his way.

#34 REEKO_HTOWN, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  15. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

In my opinion, whether or not Rockets throw the max at Capela hinges on whether they win the title this year. If they win it all, then Capela is absolutely worth the max. if not, well.............I've always believed this year to be the BEST opportunity for CP3/Harden/MDA to win it all....if they fall short this time.......very very very difficult to make it back up the mountain. Therefore probably not the best option to throw the max at Capela...

16. Fantasma Negro

We have Capela's bird rights so we can sign him and go over the cap, Clint will get his money regardless. PJ is locked in for two more years, I assume Gerald and Luc will split the MLE but we gotta get rid of Ryan Anderson and possibly Eric Gordon to make sure CP3 gets his money. Morey will have to be creative

seeingred and D-rock like this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree with you but you know, we're still talking about the Suns...they're probably going to draft another potential role player or a bust with a top 5 pick just like they did with Bender, Chriss, Len, and overpay a free agent that will not even make them a playoff team ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As a fan i feel lucky everytime i think about Morey and the Rockets organization in general.

malakas, AroundTheWorld and D-rock like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Then what u would do? Lose him for nothing? He’s our only young piece and is the 3rd most important player on the team. Losing him would mean we’re taking a clear step back. Even if somebody like Deandre came cheaper, he’s much older and is a definite downgrade.

seeingred likes this.
  19. mario_v

mario_v Member

“The teams that find the chandler parsons, not the ones that pay them the max, are the ones that succeed long term.”

basketballholic and J.R. like this.
  20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Sign him with what cap space? He isn't gonna play for the MLE.