1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donovan Mitchell upset about Harden's fouls? (Updated with video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Space City, May 6, 2018.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's no different than when you have an argument with your wife and you say something stupid only to regret it later. Like I said before, Mitchell is just frustrated of losing and doesn't know how to project his anger and he ended up saying something stupid.

Invisible Fan, MacLovin and D-rock like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You left out one of the F bombs

fify

I started off liking the kid. Now he's starting to remind me of Isiah Thomas with the fake glamour smile (that fans and the media fall for), but who the players quickly learned to despise, so much so, MJ veto'd him from the Dream Team...lulz

Paul keeps dropping his head and Harden grinning at the interview table when reporters ask him about his mentor role....maybe that mentor stuff was all faksie, too...Paul playing him.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

That is who you are DM, just own it and move on. One's character is shown during crisis.

pippendagimp and ApacheWarrior like this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Its funny how he wasnt a confident kid out of college, thinking he wouldnt be drafted, to a an ego-filled hype train at the moment. I would be ashamed too if I was his mentor. What a pompous disgrace.

5. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

It's playoffs...people supposed to be ornery...

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Maybe this will give Toyota fans an edge. Boo him every time he touches the ball. Chant "Ben Simmons is better" or "MVP" when he is on the free throw line. Anything to keep the crowd awake for the game.

Tfor3, adw and Chilly_Pete like this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Rook about to get Harden switched on him all night. No Exum to protect him now.

May he rest in piece.

Tfor3, davidio840 and weakfromtoday like this.
  8. Mr. Space City

feels like to me the donovan mitchell that got caught on cameras was the real donovan mitchell, and the donovan mitchell here is the media trained donovan mitchell trained by utah jazz PR.

jboslett, macho GRANDE, Tfor3 and 6 others like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Man, some rockets fans are petty a-holes. Look, I hate the Jazz, I loathe them. It's in our DNA. The kid said something, something he wasn't exactly putting on record, and instead of getting defensive or making excuses he apologized. Still, some fans feel the need to pile on. In spite of being a Jazzhole, I like the kid.

Invisible Fan, baubo and durvasa like this.
  11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

**** Mitchell.

adw, Tfor3 and pippendagimp like this.
  12. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I agree. In the heat of moment he said some stupid things. It happens. He apologized afterward in a mature manner.

The Rockets fans are now acting like a worse whiny bunch. Come on guys.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I wish on everything that this would happen, but knowing the TC crowd, Mitchell won’t get much heat

adw likes this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Based on the ticket prices right now I think this game will be hype. I think the happy hour will help and the start time will get people to stay.

15. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Now he wants to back down...[​IMG]

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I respect the “I was wrong” comment from Mitchell.

Pay your dues as Harden has the last 3 years.....MVP runner up/contender. Don’t come into the league and expect
    players/media to bow to you and cut you to the front of the line......entitled. Work for it a little more.

macho GRANDE, Tfor3 and thedreamsteam like this.
  17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I dont mind what Mitchell said - it was after another pretty bad defeat for his team and on his way to the locker room. He may have just played his last game in front of that boisterous Utah crowd (I cant stand the Jazz or their fans, but I do envy that their fans show up and are loud at every single game)

It happens, players have damaged equipment, hurt themselves sometimes right after the game showing their emotions after a bad defeat. A few seasons ago Harden knocked down a few things in the tunnel after losing to Golden State in frustration. Game 4 was pretty much Utah's season and they lost. If I was a Jazz fan (ugh can't believe I typed that) I would be upset if Mitchell didnt show any sort of emotion after the game.

We would want our players to be upset and fuming for losing a winnable game, in fact you could say that is a legit criticism of Harden or this team over the last few years where we've seen the team out and partying after a loss or before a big game that they didnt respect the game or have the same level of passion. Why am I going to be upset at Mitchell, a rookie at that, showing that same passion after losing a game. He didn't say anything really bad either.

Look if the Rockets want to use his comments as motivation - so be it, but we as fans need to be less sensitive about something like that. The Jazz are going to have their season ended real soon and the Rockets will move on to the real threat in Golden State. I mean Golden State is going to talk way more than Mitchell did and they have every right to as well as defending champs. I would hope that the Rockets are mentally tougher than some of us here when wearing whatever GS is going to say.

durvasa and Invisible Fan like this.
  18. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ed-james-harden-video-jazz-rockets/590780002/

As the 21-year-old walked toward the locker room at Vivint Smart Home Arena on Sunday after a Game 4 loss that put Houston up 3-1 in the series, Mitchell was caught on camera saying of the crafty Harden, “If that’s what he needs to be the (expletive) MVP. (Expletive) it.”

Mitchell discussed the matter with reporters in Houston on Tuesday, confirming that his frustration was born out of the way in which the presumptive MVP was officiated.

“Obviously he’s the MVP,” Mitchell said. “There’s no doubt about that. But you know, I’m pretty sure we’ve all said things that, you know, in the heat of the moment you get upset.

“You try so hard to fight back, and (with) what we did. You know, I’m definitely upset that (the video) came out that way, but like I said, can’t do anything about it. I understand that there are cameras everywhere. Now I’m getting used to that. Like I said, he is the MVP, and rightfully so. But I’m really focused on just going out here and seeing what we can do for Game 5 (in Houston on Tuesday night), and not really complaining about the calls. That’s not who I am.”

While Harden had fewer free throw attempts (eight) than his league-leading norm (10.1 per game in the regular season), there were two key plays late that appear to have infuriated Mitchell.

With just over two minutes left, Mitchell stole the ball from Harden and appeared to be pushed near his hips as he missed a layup that would have trimmed the lead to eight points. Mitchell, who then tried to go through Harden for the rebound and was called for a foul, argued with referee Billy Kennedy after the play.

Seventeen seconds later, Mitchell was called for a shooting foul on Harden that put Houston up 95-82 after he made the shot and the free throw.

A minute later, Mitchell fouled out when he went over P.J. Tucker's back for a rebound.

Mitchell, it’s safe to say, is hardly the only one who wishes Harden didn’t get so many calls.

Consider this top five list of free throw leaders, courtesy of Basketball-Reference.com, from the past six seasons. The combined individual number of free throws attempted since the 2012-13 campaign …

Harden – 4,726
    Russell Westbrook – 3,501
    DeMar DeRozan – 3,350
    DeMarcus Cousins – 3,286
    LeBron James – 3,201

Then again, it's Harden's overall play — 30.5 points, 8.3 assists and 5.5 rebounds per game in this series — that has caused the Jazz fits. Mitchell, who has been without fellow backcourt mate Ricky Rubio (hamstring) for the entire series, is averaging just 18.3 points (on 32.5% shooting overall and 24.1% from three-point range), 5.3 assists and 4.5 rebounds.​

Vivi likes this.
  20. baubo

baubo Member

Seriously people y’all should be glad Mitchell hates this stuff. The last thing Rockets fans would want is for Mitchell to see Harden as a role model and learn how to get fouls. Cause you know how much Utah players get preferential treatment in SLC since the Horneck Stockton days. If he becomes even half as savvy as Harden y’all gonna be ranting on his ft count till end of his career.

durvasa likes this.