1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Jazz 5/4/2018 (Playoffs Round 2, Game 3)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 3, 2018.

1. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

These two genuinely want to win fpr eachother too. The passion is contagious.

adw and SF3isBack!! like this.
  2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Curious as to when this was and what they are talking about. Can't make it out.

3. HP3

HP3 Member

Alright, random, but one thing I really want to see is a compilation video of Eric Gordon screaming. His yell is so hilarious.

Rox11 and SF3isBack!! like this.
  4. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

That was game two right? I’m pretty sure that was before the refs didn’t call a fouled on mitchel for his 5 or 6 foul. Before that Cp3 said **** again. I think he was frustrated with the refs too coz he got fouled as he shot it.

Anyway I was glad after game 2 i saw this coming. I was sure it would wake them up. They got cocky thinking they could cruise against the jazz.

rockets in 5 ;) still

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  5. jumpman82

jumpman82 Member

Just got through rewatching the game. Loved our defensive intensity from the start. I want to see us play with that same intensity for the rest of the playoffs. Other than that O'Neale guy who kinda went off on us, we shut their key players down tonight.

#1765 jumpman82, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
  6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Are you taking about that video? Cause that was game 3

Rox11 likes this.
  7. Zergling

Zergling Member

When we're at our best, it's usually when Eric Gordon's out there devouring souls. He's been the x-factor all year.

We can be a pretty good even when he's off. When he's on though, that's when we're at that historically great level on offense. No one, not even the Warriors can beat us when EG333 is on.

Red Chocolate and Hakeemtheking like this.
  8. Dash

Dash Member

My gut tells me this is Paul getting on Harden for not stopping the ball on the multiple fastbreaks layups by O'neale when jazz cut the lead down to 15

Amel and Red Chocolate like this.
  9. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

10. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

11. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Fighting lololo

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Anyone worried about the 4th quarter collapse? Jazz outscored the Rockets in 2nd half! Dan Tony gave horrible half-time speech! Would have lost but for the big lead!

Jazz figured us out!

13. OTMax

OTMax Member

Finally we came out extremely focus and ready to pounce on their ass and so we did!!! That 1st half was just amazing with some different plays, nice adjustments on defense, Capela as a monster rim protector and everyone playing hard on defense. We finally got some easy baskets from close range with Tucker getting some hooks in, Capela of course, CP3, Gordon, Harden with some floaters, Ariza with some layups. I just felt someone was going to go off and it was Gordon. He just took it to the rim with determination, he was ready for this one!

I am surprised Ryno didn't play until garbage time, but glad MDA is making some adjustments at least. Joe looked good on some post ups and passing to Black at the end, give him some minutes I'd say since Green is playing stupid out there. Committing silly 3pt fouls and just launching or when he drives runs right into the crowd. It is a bit of a downer how we ended the game with continuous iso play by Harden, but also CP3. Late shots, contested shots, whining to the refs, trying to get a call, just not a good look. We stopped doing what got us in the lead: quick attacks, quick decision making and just running different plays.

Ariza was a +40 tonight and was very sharp, very impressive. Tucker brought that defense and the shot in the lane. Harden was good inside, but not so much outside and he needs to recognise when to pass the ball instead of trying to shoot himself back into a game. CP3 was a bit quicker, better on defense so that was good. Nene even had his moments, but on defense Capela was the one tonight. Those blocks, they didn't credit him for the amount he got because he got at least 5 or 6. Just intimidation as well since they missed so much at the rim that just his presence was felt.

All in all, very good win and this is how we need to come out from the get go. I love that little clip between Harden and CP3, that's how you get better and know both guys are into it. Harden actually was a little too hot (angry) and that's usually when he doesn't play all that well, but for the rest the intensity was good. We didn't let Ingles get off, got into Donovan's grill and didn't let Gobert get easy looks either. Almost a perfect game on defense. Did you see how that 2nd quarter run was totally fueled by the crowd? All of a sudden Capela rushed a shot and got blocked, O'neale got going and just got into the lane and felt he was the man? That's why home court advantage is important. If we were any other team, this might have shook us. Good time-out by D'Antoni.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Jazz calling Favors injury a sprained ankle when he left.

If it's a true sprain, I'd be surprised if he's back for Sunday's game.

16. basketballholic

You asked if I had seen it. I said yes. Didn't say this series.

Anyways....this third game we went a lot more five out and got Gobert in trouble with the matchups. And we dominated offensively. Even though we didn't shoot the three well, we blistered then inside with Gobert and Favors chasing smalls on the dribble.

#1776 basketballholic, May 5, 2018
  17. basketballholic

Nobody is talking about Qi. And I'm not discussing Qi with anybody on Twitter either. Don't take the statement out of context.

What I said was we had to get something defensively from somebody we hadn't been getting it from. We did tonight. Capela played his best game defensively I've ever seen him play. He stifled the paint on most of the Jazz penetration and lobs, at one point even blocking Gobert. Jazz were very inefficient in the paint, like 23 for 50. Most of that credit goes to Capela. Great game.

And IF he can play this way 4 games out of 7 against the Warriors....we will go to the Finals. And IF he plays like he did tonight at least 4 games in the Finals then we will be champions.

This is why you have to watch games. Capela's shooting and rebounding stats show mundane numbers, 11/8. But this game, in the playoffs no less, is the best game I've ever seen him play. Because he dominated the defensive paint. And Utah was obviously forcing it inside while we were dogging their shooters.

Now we'll see what adjustments the Jazz make for game 4. I'm so glad we're not coming home 1-3. And my optimism has improved for a game 4 win.

Utah really missed Rubio tonight. They needed him with the defensive attention given to Mitchell.

#1777 basketballholic, May 5, 2018
  18. basketballholic

See my previous comments elsewhere regarding last nights game and Qi. And don't take what I said out of context. I simply suggested Qi as a possibility. One game does not win a championship. But we did get something last night that we haven't seen yet. And that was a mostly stellar performance by Capela in the defensive paint. This was the best game Capela has ever played bar none even though he only had 11 points and 8 boards. He shut down the defensive paint in a way he's never done before. So this is a new benchmark for him. If he can play this way four times in each of the next two series then we will be champs. And I hope he does.

I was very pleased with our defensive interior last night. Very. I hope we continue to be that good in the defensive paint throughout the rest of the playoffs. But......it's still the tipping point for this team.

19. basketballholic

Are you stupid?
    We're still in trouble. The problem is still there. One game doesn't change it. But I am glad that at least we're not going home 1-3. And hopefully we can keep playing this well defensively to have a chance to get to and win The Finals.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member