1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does the home crowd seem so flat this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 3, 2018.

1. vci_guy2003

vci_guy2003 Contributing Member

Based on that pic at tip-off, I don’t blame the players for being flat. What a disgrace.

cdrive and mario_v like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That and the fact the entire sideline sections in the lower bowl are club level seats with bar and lounge access throughout. There are too many other things to do in that building while a game is going on other than watch the game.

BMoney and Deckard like this.
  3. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

While I don't disagree with this entirely, I do think it's ridiculous to blame this entire problem on the club level. Just look at that picture and you can see it's throughout the entire building. Not all fans in the club are corporate suits, FYI.

We had season tickets for 4 years in Section 119 (behind Rockets bench) on row 22 from 2011-2015. I made sure we were down in our seats before introductions at every game. We also met many, many diehard fans who have seats in East Club. I'd still have my tickets there if we didn't have to move away for work. So long and the short of it, yes there's a lot of company tickets in the club but believe it or not there's also a lot of big Rockets fans as well.

And to anyone expecting a change at Toyota Center to the club level set up, I wouldn't hold your breath. The main bar and concessions in East/West club are a cash cow for the Rockets/TC. Yes it's a bad look at times but the fans/corporations pay a ton of money for tickets in the clubs to have a right to do whatever they want. Whether it's being in your seat, hanging out in the club, eating/watching the game from the ledge, getting drinks at the bar, etc.

4. izeroi

izeroi Member

Energy/fans at the arena have been an issue for some time now. Lower half is filled with suits who show up late, don't go at all, or are off at the bar areas. It's embarrassing when you watch games and you don't see many seats filled in that area. Even more embarrassing when you have tv analyst calling us out.

If I had my way I'd put the rowdies and people who actually cheer down in the lower half and the suits up top.

5. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

You would think by now the organization would have recorded the loudest cheers and chants from fans and play it in the loudspeakers during the game. Fake it till you make it.

6. MadMax

1. I don't think the ENTIRE problem can be blamed on the club level, either. I didn't mean to suggest that. They are the ones most visible during a television broadcast though...and that's where this perception is coming from generally in threads like this.

2. I totally agree...they're not going to change it. They're printing money. In the Golden Nugget lounge, you can go drink and play blackjack all during the game. You've already paid for your ticket...if they can keep you in a bar spending more money, they'll do so. And they have.

3. I do a ton of business development. I've bought tickets for clients and referral sources. I have referral sources, clients and vendors who give me tickets to games. Of course those ticket holders have the right to do with the ticket what they want. Like you, I'm a huge Rockets fan and I can't imagine not being in my seat from the start. Nevertheless, I think the crowd they attract (given those ticket prices) plus the other amenities and entertainment options in the building during the game contributes to lame crowds like we saw the other night. And, no...I don't expect it to change.

4. When you see empty seats in that building in the lower bowl, it is NOT because those tickets aren't sold. Certainly not this year or in the playoffs. They're sold...and the ticketholders are in the building. Doing something other than watching the game.

marks0223 and The Summit like this.
  7. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I’m so dead serious there have been times I’ve jumped out of my seat and yelled or cheered and people around me legit will look at me like I’m r****ded. Like they’re annoyed or something.

It’s just so weird to me. When you go to games at the Toyota center it honestly feels more like a casual entertainment experience. It doesn’t feel like a sporting event at all. It’s almost like fans can take it or leave it.

One thing is for sure, our “home court advantage” isn’t really homecourt advantage.

BMoney, joshuaao, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Max, I just don't get why this would be a Houston exclusive problem. Is Houston the only city with corporations?

The tickets here are not more expensive than other major markets are they? Can middle class families afford these great seats in Boston, Golden State, New York, OKC, etc.?

Aside from the empty seats, the crowd that IS there just isn't alive. I sit in the lower bowl all the time and I'm not surrounded by stuffy people, but they don't want to get up until the final 2 minutes, they get annoyed if I stand, etc. It's just not that alive in my experience except when they shoot tshirts or do "and the ROCKETS red glare."

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The arena feels cavernous. The energy level in particular is hurt by this because noise just dissipates.

Deckard likes this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They would get sold if they allowed bidding or if they removed the floor on offers

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

thats assuming the seller accepts the bidding prices though. most don't. you may get lucky here and there and get seats for a great price, sometimes even a steal but its not often

12. MadMax

No..but I believe it's the only one where the entire lower bowl sidelines have access to club sections complete with bars and blackjack.

13. izeroi

izeroi Member

Wait what? They have blackjack down there? Jesus...

14. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

They have blackjack tables in the Golden Nugget club, which is on the floor/courtside level next to Lexus Lounge. The East and West clubs above sections 105-109 and 118-122 don't have blackjack tables but they have numerous other things for people to enjoy (and subsequently get you out of your seat). Really nice bar with TV's, ledge seating to watch the game from the club, nice concessions, small Rockets shop, etc.

MadMax likes this.
  15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. One reason it seems like Golden State and Utah have such good crowds is because their older arena designs puts fans right on top of the court. I imagine the Warriors will lose some of that energy once they're in San Francisco.

MadMax likes this.
  16. izeroi

izeroi Member

Ya I've been in the area with the tvs/rocketshop/food and drinks but never knew there was a gold nugget club. Don't get me wrong it that sounds fun an all but we're at a basketball game. Can only imagine that place stays packed throughout the game?

17. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

This. People are nice here, including me. Admittedly, I did not cheer loudly at rockets game that I attended. I think the reason is there are many rockets home games in one season. There are only 8 home games for Texans, that’s main why fans wanted to cheer loudly as much they possibly can.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's because that building was built to maximize profits and entertainment that's not at the center of the arena.

#158 tinman, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    MadMax and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  19. jb86

jb86 Member

The ticket price could play a factor too. Watching the game on TV the lower bowl be looking kind of empty.

20. SS0101

SS0101 Member

The other thing about the whole "corporate ticket" explanation is that the Astros dont seem to have this problem, yet play in the same city. I have been to multiple astros palyoff games...every round of the playoffs too and also have been to the Rockets playoffs. The noise level, energy level, and general atmosphere is night and day. Astros is a madhouse...Rockets, not so much.

MadMax likes this.