1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does the home crowd seem so flat this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 3, 2018.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Nothing like being on the very back row at The Summit during a "DEFENSE!" chant. Everyone would stand and bang their fists against the metal wall behind them. Loud as hell and everyone was into it.

If you do something like that at Toyota Center, the person next to you will probably tweet at security and have you kicked out.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

that’s strange, @ipaman told me that the Sixers and Celtics have some of the lowest average ticket prices in the league

people need to stop acting like Rockets tickets are so expensive in comparison to all these other teams in the NBA

Mr Chuck Norris and Drogba like this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I remember those teams.

I remember when they knocked out the mavs as an eight seed.

I also remember them being god awful and their crowd reflecting that as well. A few years ago before all the winning their crowds were no where near as loud as they are now.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Absolutely, in my opinion. I've thought that from the first time I saw a game there. The seats should be laid out better, closer to the court, both upper and lower bowl. I don't know what they could do about it now, though. That ship has likely sailed.

Drogba likes this.
  5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Probably cause they're spending more time praying we don't f' it up!

Little Bit likes this.
  6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Underperforming? I predicted about 45 wins for the Bucks. How do you say they underperforming? We’re you expecting the bucks to win 50 games. Btw they won all their home playoffs games

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Summit

That place was pure

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Nope.

Their crowd has not been that way for 11 years straight. Matter of fact before that their crowds were nothing special either.

Their crowd was great at that point because their team was exciting and taking it to the #1 team as an eight seed aka the team gave them something to cheer about.
    The crowds were great during that artest year.

People don’t trust this team and they haven’t even played great on the whole in these playoffs.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know if it was pure, tinman, but it sure as hell was a much better place to watch a game.

10. smp

smp Member

I agree with that. But shouldn't all fans outside of GS feel that way? Clearly they don't because other teams are getting good participation from their fans.

When the Rockets were peaking earlier this year, I thought we had a good shot at beating GS. Now it seems the Rockets only have a punchers chance of winning a championship the way we are playing. We are the #1 seed. It should feel different that this.

The fall off of CP3 and EG is really disappointing. It's all on Hardens back again but with more help from Capela. Maybe that's the problem?

Even worse is that nobody else has any chance at all to beat GS. It's pretty damn frustrating to me. That's why I'm not up for spending 1k for mediocre seats for 4.

We will beat the Jazz. But if we play like we have been, GS is going to destroy us. Maybe that's the problem?

I don't know. But there's something going on because our crowd sucks.

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I do believe there are certain fan bases that are just rabid pretty much no matter what. This isn’t one of them. Lots of teams don’t have those types of fan bases though.

Anyone see Toronto’s crowd tonight?

When you don’t trust your team and then they come out and reinforce that distrust then the most fan bases will back down.

Give the fans something to cheer about. Play hard. Inspire the fan base. People get energy when they see their team giving energy.

It’s not the fan’s responsibility to get these multi millionaires to play hard and come out with a sense of urgency and any blame put on a fan base is lame af tbh.

It’s because of the fans they get to play a game and make millions in the first place. Now the fans have to behave a certain way to get these guys to be professional and come out and play hard all game?

Little Bit likes this.
  12. smp

smp Member

I don't have any answers. It's clear that some arenas have energy and some don't. Players react to fans and fans react to players. Not sure which comes first.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

We are going to see some rabid fans tomorrow night in Utah.

Drogba likes this.
  14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

See, I look at it completely opposite. It’s a chicken and egg scenario, but I think the fans can’t really complain about an anemic start when the crowd can’t even get there to be loud and support their team.

I put a portion of the blame to slow starts and ultimately losses like these on the culture at Toyota Center. Remember now, if this game was an 0-15 Texans team in a “football city” whose football team for 58 years has given the city absolutely nothing, that place would be packed beyond belief a good 30 minutes before game start.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look people have been complaining about the Rockets crowds since I became a fan in 1972.......

Same ole same ole.

DD

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure about the Texans, but there was always complaining that the Oilers had a late arriving/seated crowd. Of course, the excuse for Sunday noon games was that they could not buy beer until noon.

17. JazzLakerHater

I think it's a combination of the game 6 debacle last year and the Astros. Because I thought the crowds were decent in last years playoffs. It has been an utter embarrassment this year.

Who knows, maybe actually playing in front of a rabid Utah crowd may juice up the Rockets.

18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

This is what happened when you sell tickets to those people who wont show up.

buffalobills!!! and cdrive like this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Don’t give a **** if they play in an empty gym.

Do better.

20. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

has anyone brought up the removal of the bidding system on flash seats as a reason for empty seats?

RRFan1994 likes this.