1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does the home crowd seem so flat this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 3, 2018.

1. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Many are out of money thx to the Hurricane. ALso, why would anyone pay $14 for a dam bottle of beer.

Crashlanded19 and RHU525 like this.
  2. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

It means that people who don't keep up with baseball only care for it for the first couple of weeks into the new season, n then they don't until the playoffs. So no, the Rockets didn't lose their fans to Astros

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

The crowd always looks dead and pathetic at the Toyota Center on tv and in person for me. Very timid, behaved chanting. I've been asked to watch my language and also to sit down, but those were during the Jazz playoff games back in the T-Mac/Yao days. Now-a-days, it's just completely dead.

I still think it's all about the location. Swap TC with NRG for example and you'll get a younger and rabid crowd but then you'll also be known for drunk cholos getting into fights every game. Cholos could be the heroes, with their XXXL size jerseys swinging in the wind like a signature superhero cape, but we have to chase them. Because they're the heroes the Toyota Center deserves, but not the ones it needs right now, so we'll hunt them. Because they can take it, because they're not heroes. They're illegal aliens.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

based on what? just your theory...

the astros are going to be supported all year long coming off a title

5. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Thats how it usually is here. Plus the Astros tickets are cheap, highly doubt people are choosing between the two

6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I was at a sports bar, and it felt like there was more excitement for the Bruins and Yankees (!) than the home teams playing.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  7. Embrace the clutch

Rockets have always had subdued crowds which has always diminished our home court advantage(in my opinion)......GS home court has always been amazing there crowds are actually worse now(in my opinion)

8. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Watching from the TV the crowd was disappointing last night. When the Rockets took the lead in the 3rd I expected a raucous environment. Heard very little. Crowd needs to do a better job boosting the energy of the players. Contrast that with the Utah crowd and you’ll see a huge difference.

9. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

I'll say this... I went to 1 game first round and 1st game against the Jazz.. I had to fight the awkward feeling of standing up and cheering cause almost no one around me stood and cheered, just me and my sons.. People come in late and leave early..

This is just how it is... might as well get over it, as sad as it is...

10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

You right about that. I went to game on SUnday and was shocked the beer was at 14.50 a piece for Michelob. I don't remember it being that much during the regular season. WTF...

RealRocFan47 likes this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They didn't have a problem filling up minute maid during the playoffs 2 months after the storm.

CK Johnson likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The players give effort the fans respond.....if not.....well....

DD

13. vci_guy2003

vci_guy2003 Contributing Member

We came out flat because the crowd was flat. It goes both ways. The crowd needs to energize the players especially when we’re down.

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

lol this year?

We've always been flat. I wonder if it's the Toyota Center. Maybe because it's a multi purpose venue it doesn't provide as much atmosphere and energy (and sound) that a basketball only stadium would. But it's also management and the sales team. They don't care about butts in the seats as long as money is in their pocket. They just sell season tickets to corporations, those corporations waste half the tickets and the lower bowl sits empty. Those people sit and stare at their phones most the game anyways.

We've had threads on how to improve the experience at TC. Unfortunately, unless you ship in the real fans, it's never getting any better.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

GS crowd has been nowhere near what it is now until the last theee years.

16. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Being a die-hard fan not in the Houston area, I'm extremely embarrassed by the showing. I'm watching this on my tv and saying to myself "Where is everyone..."

A couple things I've noticed:
    1. In the series against the Wolves, I remember Harden having to motion to the crowd to get up on several momentum plays.
    2. To start the 3rd in Game 2 last night, they had a close-up of Reggie on the screen. I know it's right when 3rd qtr is starting, but still... entire sections... The optics look terrible. TNT was even hinting at the crowd's "energy". I'm looking at a screenshot of it and there are seats with t-shirts still hanging on the seats right behind him.... AT HALFTIME!

For Game 5, a couple things I'd like to see:
    1. Everyone in the lower bowl to be in their seats 5min before tip-off - stand-ins: security personnel in red blazers
    2. Everyone on the feet at the 1:30 min mark to end each quarter
    3. (blatantly bad call e.g. ref refusing to call Mitchell's 5th foul) "REF YOU SUCK!"
    4. (on every call against us from Tony): "TO-NY BRUH-THERS!"
    5. "M-V-P!" every time Harden looks like he's about to walk up the ball
    6. (crowder enters game): "FLOP-PERRRR"
    7. More chants: "RUN-AS-ONE"; "ROCKETS-ROCKETS"; "HOUS-TON.. ROCK-ETS.."; "DE-FENSE"; "GER-ALD GREEN!"
    8. (on defense): "5.. 4.. .3.. 2.. 1.." at random times on the clock
    9. Organized call-outs on the mega-screens
    10. More PA announcing during momentum shifts: "GET ON YOUR FEET!"
    11. Free swag to wave behind the FT line
    I really wish corporate can do something about forfeiting the ticket holder's right to their seats if absent for more than 2 quarters. Imagine allowing droves of Rockets fans get closer to the court at a certain time on the game clock to help stand-in for their fellow Rockets fans who couldn't make it to the game. That place would be rocking. Increase the price of the upper level by a few bucks and give them first dibs to the empty seats in the lower bowl.

The Rockets fan culture needs to change. We got the management, the talent, and a good offensive system to warrant a crowd like those in OKC, Utah, Sacramento, GSW, Boston, SAS, Portland, Dallas, LAL, LAC... Having a great supporting fanbase is not / shouldn't be a reflection of your team's gameplay - if anything fans should project the gameplay - being a presence and calling out what they want to see. Put in another way, we need our crowd to be a little more entitled and demand more from our players and the refs. Have some pride in what you paid for and who you repping. Go HTOWN!

17. mario_v

mario_v Member

Rockets were up by 25 points in game 1. The fans barely made any noise.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Calendar just turned to May. Time for the monthly "Toyota Center is quiet/empty" thread. :D

Chicken or the egg?!

Coach/Players say the fans didn't show up until 8:00 so we didn't show up until 8:00!
    Fans say players playing like poop and gave us nothing to cheer about!

Yes, the Toyota Center attendance/atmosphere sucks (as far having any kind of "HCA"). It is what it is. I don't think we need a new thread every month stating this. ;)

Little Bit likes this.
  19. mario_v

mario_v Member

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Try 11 years