1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Exclusive: Houston Rockets star James Harden drops agent, now represented by his mother

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Apr 26, 2018.

1. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

It might be that he knows he's got the MVP locked and a ton of new endorsements lined up for the summer due to it, maybe he just didn't want to cut his agency in on something he worked for. If anything they have not helped him find the right PR people, or if they do PR as well they suck at it. Harden is one of the most hated NBA players for no reason. He's achieved incredible success, no real off-court issues, not a thug, has rememberable characteristics that are unique, no visible tattoos which is what most key guys do to be able to appeal to upper middle class Americans. I hardly meet Harden fans who didn't follow the Rockets before he got here. That is rare for a player of his caliber.

Or maybe he just had enough with the agent/agency and will be open to finding another agent, and his Mom is just holding it down until the season is over so he can focus on basketball.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's likely they are paying proffesionals to do all the work, it's just a way for Harden and his mom to get a kickback on all of his deals.

3. SORF

SORF Member

This is what I think also. His Mother has been great handling his charity foundation, but being his agent is just a temporary thing until he finds some agency/agent that he feels more comfortable. Being assigned an agent when you had a great relationship with the original agent before he left for the Lakers, doesn't always work...a chemistry problem. Just like any successful team, the chemistry must be there.

BallSoHarden and Huricane like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My thought process on this is that his thinking is, I'm locked up in Houston for years. I've got the shoe deal. I've got the other endorsements. For at least the next 4 years, I can probably save millions for agents who will just be sitting there collecting off of my existing deals doing nothing.

He's right for the most part, but there is always the risk that something could happen out of the blue that lands him in hot water essentially without representation. He better be very careful to stay out of trouble off the court, and not get involved in anything funny with the league.

I anticipate that this is probably just a two to four year plan. When professional change is coming around the horizon (contract, etc.), I would be shocked if his madre was still his sole representative.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Harden signed up for Pelinka, not the replacement they gave him. No big deal here, he probably already has another person in mind that he wants to connect with and use as his agent; he'll just wait until the offseason to sign up with them.

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

7. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

She's his agent, not his lawyer.

8. blackistan

blackistan Member

Just like Kawhi got his uncle involved as his manager

9. ipa

ipa Member

10. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Hardens mom is a consummate professional. I hope she retires a Rocket.

Stormy1234, pgabriel and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mamma's boy. Sounded like April Fool's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stormy1234 likes this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

I hope he at least did his due diligence and made her take business courses. I'm pretty sure he still has his accountant and lawyers so this isn't that big a deal. He's basically representing himself. At this point companies are coming to James, he's not chasing them so his mom will just sit back and collect checks

Stormy1234 likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Anyone know his mother's educational and professional background

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He fixed his teeth too, that's got account for something.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

http://fabwags.com/monja-willis-nba-james-hardens-mother/
    http://www.fox26houston.com/news/exclusive-one-on-one-with-james-hardens-mom-monja-willis

Seems like a normal working background. She had that job for almost 30 years (in another article).

She is now going toward 60 so it's more looking toward retirement.

She has not represented any pro athlete, not that I know of. Now she might be representing the Top player in the NBA.

She has a team.

#75 daywalker02, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    pgabriel likes this.
  16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'm quite sure he is going get a Jay Z type of agent, someone that is in the entertainment industry. Harden did this so he don't have to pay drop fees.

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Smart move. Won't have to worry about mama stealing millions from him.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  18. MystikArkitect

Tell that to Tyron Smith.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's what I am thinking, his mom is a go between, she will keep on managing smaller things in future.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Well I'm sure Mama Harden is way more classier than that.