1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Hit some open threes and everything will change for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 23, 2018.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

I fear the Rockets philosophy is flawed and the math that hitting just enough of the volume of threes they’re taking doesn’t work in the playoffs given our lack of diversity on offense. Also, the way we play is just downright ugly to watch.

I really think, even though I get where Morey is coming from, that unless you get a few shooters who are consistently around 38-40% and an offense that is more diverse - our stars and MDA’s fault as well as the Morey philosophy - it will not work.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think that the math works because
    With alot of our players. . . ..

IF they 33% from 3
    They are also 33% from NON-LAYUP shots. .

So if they not dunking or laying it up . . . might as well be a three as oppose to any other shot
    probably about the same chances of going in

Rocket RIver

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

I've always hated seating at one corner and wait for the pass. I would rather if there was a little movement. Even if it is just moving from one corner spot to the next. The defender is bound to budge when he sees his "man" moving around.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

unleash the road rhino!

upload_2018-4-23_14-52-11.jpeg

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

They are getting wide open looks tho, if they were hoisting up contested bricks then I would agree with you, but they just aren't connecting on great looks.

Red.Glare likes this.
  7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

just curious did you find minny's offense when they hit 9 straight threes a thing of beauty?

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I've said this for two years. When the Rockets slump from it creates all kinds of problems and magnifies issues.

The Rockets are playing slow, uninspired basketball and have been for awhile now. They can hide that though because they take so many 3s that when they make it they just overwhelm the opponent. It's amazing really how our shooters slump this hard together throughout the year.

Smacktle, da_juice and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The philosophy is fine. They have two guards who can get their own shot and set up others with open looks. They have a big man who can finish in the paint. They have a bunch of guys who can knock down threes. And they have a guard who's money with the midrange.

I know it's overly simplistic, but sometimes it's as basic as just making your open shots.

10. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

The x factor is Gordon. A lot of people going into the playoffs had doubts for this team because of Harden, CP3 and MDA's lack of consistent success. Harden and CP3's talent I believe can get the team through this series eventually. As far as a long playoff run though, Gordon is too important to be sucking as much as he is. If he continues to suck this much Green needs to eat more into his minutes. Hoping Luc can come back soon as well because his defense is also key to this team having a long run.

11. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

For all of those wanting Morey chucked into the gulf for missed wide open 3 pointers, what exactly is your idea for your revolutionary offense where you don't have to make open shots?

Smacktle and Nook like this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think Ariza just needs to let it go
    Stop with the ONE BOUNCE STEP OVER THREE
    If it gets blocked it gets block . . . just Launch and don't do the fake

Rocket River

Smacktle, DonKnock and count_dough-ku like this.
  13. Rockets4Life13

Gordon‘s inconsistency is a huge problem. He had the best +\- in the whole league over the course of the season. Need him to be good.

Hakeemtheking and Smacktle like this.
  14. OTMax

OTMax Member

Rockets have had problems running this system in last year playoffs too. We had terrible shooting games from three for 8 out of 11:
    - Game 1: 30%
    - Game 3: 28%
    - Game 4: 31%
    - Game 5: 16%
    - Game 2: 32%
    - Game 3: 30%
    - Game 5: 33%
    - Game 6: 32%

15. theimpossibles1

Ok @Clutch. Great article. But what do we do to fix the problem? Clearly we are not trying to miss.

Extra time shooting in the gym? Team meeting? Different diet and or exercise routine? Motivational speech?

What's the solution?!

When we struggled hitting 3's earlier in the season, what did we do to fix it???

In my estimation the key lies in defense. When we get lazer focused on lockdown defense, that focus carries over to the offense and we make 3s.

#35 theimpossibles1, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep that about nails it.....pretty obvious that the live by the 3 die by the 3 has been going on...however, we are still up 2-1......At first I was like Thibs has adjusted his D, but I watched game 3 for any adjustments and there weren't any, we missed so many WIDE OPEN shots.....astonishing that Gerald Green is doing so well and 3 of our main guys aren't.....they will come around....and we will right this ship.

DD

17. Junebball

Junebball Member

I know this is not news to you, the Rox switch exclusively on defense. You don't worry about Ryno guarding Gibson. You worry about isolating Ryno vs Teague/Wiggins out on the perimeter.

#37 Junebball, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  18. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

What is your idea to remedy this issue? Shoot less 3s? In this series, the Rockets are shooting 26% on WIDE OPEN 3s, these ARE NOT BAD SHOTS.
    Should we run plays to try to get midrange jumpshots? Should we abandon spacing and put in a bunch of good defenders? Should Harden take 50 step-back jumpers a game? Too be fair, we are shooting better on contested 3s than open 3s.

Now I do think the offense could have been better run in game 3, not enough P&R, not enough forced switches, some of the sets were stagnant, and there was some hesitation from the shooters.

19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Harden:
    9/18 66% eFG% in isolation
    4/8 contested 3pt (2-4 ft.)

Chris:
    3/6 58% eFG% in isolation
    0/1 contested 3pt (2-4 ft.)

Eric:
    1/3 33% eFG% in isolation
    0/1 contested 3pt (2-4 ft.)

Gerald:
    0/1 in isolation
    4/8 contested 3pt (2-4 ft.)

Joe:
    0/1
    0 3pt contested

Deckard and vlaurelio like this.
  20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Quick!

Someone point out that there’s actually nothing by to worry about!!!

Smacktle likes this.