1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tracy McGrady] No matter how hard you try and how great you are, you need pieces to elevate you.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Progs, Apr 18, 2018.

?

Agree with Tmac that he never had the pieces around him to succeed in the playoffs?

1. Yes

53.9%
  2. No

46.1%
  1. Progs

Progs Member

Tmac basically said on the Jump he never had the pieces around him in his prime to succeed in the playoffs. Agree or Disagree?

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Spoken like a loser that failed to get out of first round in 8 tries.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I agree. You can't win with your best teammates being an injury walking Bob Sura, slow ass David Weasly the corpses of Jon Barry, Juwan Howard and Scott Padgett and Boki Nachbar.

People forget the garbage surrounding T-mac.

The only time I think he didn't have an excuse was in 2009. That team was pretty stacked.

Can't say McGrady sucked in the postseason stat wise either. He had better stats in the playoffs.

dkim1984, Fullcourt, Tankeio and 33 others like this.
  4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

He meant health

5. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Was that the roster for all 8 of his tries? I don't give him any slack, sorry. You gotta win 1 playoff round if you 'The Man'. He played with Yao and still couldn't do it. He has 2 times where he was up 2-0 and still lost. Very talented player, just could not get it done is all. Hell we won a playoff series when he got 'injured' that year. That tells me something. . .

D-rock, fba34, Smacktle and 4 others like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

let’s not act like T-Mac didn’t have garbage surrounding him for most of his career in the playoffs...he was carrying his teams and elevated his play in the postseason

please peep the rosters of those Orlando teams, and in Houston, he had a bunch of old, limited vets plus Yao

his best shot was in 09, but his body was shot by then

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Tmac never did get a good team around him until 07-09. Unfortunately Yao got injured during our 22 game win streak and then Tmac limped his way into the playoffs. Then in 08-09 he finally had a good team around him but injuries ruled him out most of the year.

I know we have a ton of Tmac haters on this board, but he had some shitty talent to work with (outside of Yao) for most of his time here. Can't blame him for the Dallas issues where the role players started breaking down towards the end of the series and the refs did a fine job ruining an upset, nor can we blame him for Yao being unable to guard Okur/Boozer.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

McGrady failed to get out of first round in 8 tries.

Unluckiest man alive?

Meanwhile...

Artest got the team past the first round in one try.

Luckiest man alive?

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's true.

It's also true he played like he had a gimp back and didn't want to reinjure it. That joke jvg threw about him not "showing up" for practice is grounded on it. Prob something he took from his magic days when he injured it.

He was near great in the playoffs... Every other year he showed up.

I think he tried his best but then b****ed out when he didn't get the love a martyr like him should've received. That he doesn't shout out to Yao much makes me think he was low key jealous playing next to Houston's adopted son even while "it's all on him."

Very polarizing player on a cursed squad.

#9 Invisible Fan, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    D-rock and KDavis like this.
  10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Why people always say Tmac never got out of the first round. I saw him playing in the finals on that Spurs team.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

McGrady got punked by Matt Harpring and Derek Fisher in the post in the playoffs.

Looking for someone to blame.

Please help.

Jontro and RocketRed84 like this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

Yao and AB dominated the Blazers. It didn't help that they lost their franchise center in the first game of the series. That was a huge blow for them.

Dopamine likes this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Maybe that was the issue? McGrady dominating the ball? I mean he did get the chance to play his way all the time...

A team that McGrady said was not good enough for him took the Lakers (eventual champions) to 7 games without McGrady...and that was without Yao after game 1. yes, Artest and battier were fighting Kobe while MeMac was home rooting for Kobe against his own team.

When you cant do it in 8 tries, you are the problem. And we are not even talking wining the whole thing here. Just one ****ing round!

The problem was he was a mental midget, which is why he started off well in most of the series but faded as the series went along.

#14 Zboy, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Who are Damon Stoudamire, Doug Christie, Marcus Camby, Chauncey Billups, Walt Williams, Vince Carter, Darrel Armstrong, Mike Miller, Juwan Howard, Drew Gooden, Jim Jackson, Yao Ming, Mike James, Bob Sura, Rafer Alston, Shane Battier, Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Luis Scola, or Ron Artest?

These are all players that T-Mac has played with over his career in Toronto, Orlando, and H-Town. These players range from very solid role players to superstars. I won't include Hill since he was always hurt, but T-Mac's argument holds as much water as a bucket without a bottom.

D-rock, donkeypunch, adw and 2 others like this.
  16. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Its a players league

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

First Ballot Hall of Famer

Put Respeck on his name

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Say what you want about t Mac, but he provided one of the most memorable moments in Rockets history that will never be forgotten

he also provided the It's on Me moment

Legend

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tracy McGrady is a true professional loser & I am glad he did not retire a Rocket.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

*cracks fingers* here's some context

Damon Stoudamire-old/hurt
    Doug Christie-garbage role player
    Marcus Camby- always hurt/old
    Chauncey Billups-past his prime/hurt
    Walt Williams- washed up/old
    Vince Carter-for like 3 years while T-mac was still 18 years old.
    Darrel Armstrong- you're ******** me right?
    Mike Miller, Juwan Howard- NOW YOU'RE REAL ******** ME! We saw them Suck here. Both Old and useless.

I can keep going!

Dopamine, jevjnd, RHU525 and 4 others like this.