1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey AMA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ISOBall, Apr 2, 2018.

1. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Happened an hour ago! Would be cool if @Clutch could get him to do one here as well

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is bullshit Daryl.

Clutchfans or nothing.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

dammit I missed it.. Morey said he would do another one before the playoffs.

4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

What the hell clutchfans.... I need the heads up

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The best part of the AMA: Morey's nickname growing up was Chops Jr.

Harden tertiary nickname is El Chapo. Coincidence?

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I really need a heads up for things like this

7. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

He said he's gonna do another one before playoffs because of technical difficulties.

8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Yea his answers aren't show up properly.... so maybe there is still time!

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

What he had for lunch? Looks well fed.....

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Went about as well as the Spurs game yesterday.

Thanks for the AMA Morey! What is your advice to someone looking to get a career in the association?

DMorey: I get asked all the time & I honestly have no good advice as my path was so odd. Look for teams with turmoil & be willing to do anything is best I normally come up with.

Would you rather win executive of the year or Small Ball win a Tony

DMorey: NBA championship

Hey Morey, how much do you think you’ve influenced D’Antoni’s offense? His offense is different in a lot of ways from the one he ran in Phoenix, but do you think that’s a result of your philosophies as GM, or the personnel you guys have, or his evolution as a head coach?

DMorey: Coach D'Antoni's offense is all his but I do think we have helped him feel confident to go full out on his principles.

Do you have a favorite memory or moment with a player during your tenure with the Celtics?

DMorey: Brandon Hunter getting his first NBA start. Read Undoing Project to get the full story

Who do you have tonight in the NCAA championship game?

DMorey: To support my owner & our assistant coach Brett Gunning I am going with Nova

Based on your analytics, what chance % do you give our Rockets to win it all this season?

DMorey: Vegas usually has the best objective estimate

what are you most insecure about?

DMorey: the fact that none of my answers are showing up so Reddit will hate me

Yo , Daryl. U a mutha****in boss.

DMorey: this kind of boss? https://d24xizqmfkqp5b.cloudfront.net/articles/images/000/001/271/original/0.jpg

Who would you consider your mentor throughout your career?

DMorey: Trying to answer again as my first answer not showing up so now I am going to give annoyed, not informative or funny answers. This is my mentor. (First answer) Danny Ainge

Are there any plans to host professional esports events in Houston?

DMorey: yes

First of all, thank you from Rockets fans everywhere. You make us proud and honored to have someone like you managing the team. As for a question: 1.) Often times, super-computers are able to sift through data humans cannot make sense of--it's too large/complex. The computers are able to identify but not explain patterns that are valuable to teams. Can you tell us a pattern in basketball that you're still trying to interpret correctly? 2.) Can you explain any possible reasons why teams rely on iso-ball late in the 4th quarter? If ball-movement and such are imperative for high-percentage shots, then what variables change in clutch situations?

DMorey: 1) I think the dynamic around shot challenging might fit this 2) Your question assumes facts not in evidence.

Do you think we should rest the guys? or continue our rhythm? Not rockets related but do you think the Clutch Gaming LoL team should have taken an early risk in game 5 and go for Baron?

DMorey: I trust Coach D'Antoni to make the decisions on rest. I would need to study game 5 more to figure out where we could have changed the game 5 outcome yesterday. What a nerve-wracking match!

What is your opinion on rest at the end of season? Do you keep playing to keep the players in a rhythm or do you think its best to rest the players?

DMorey: I have answered this one a few times but the comments are not showing up. This is fun! Not. The answers I have given that no one can see have been James Joyce level answers too. Too bad. We will do this again before the playoffs.

Hey Daryl thanks for doing this! I know you don't have a lot of time to watch movies nowadays but in your opinion who has the better resume between Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino?

DMorey: Love this question. I personally like Tarantino better as I am a sucker for amazing dialogue but I don't have a good way to judge who is better.

What is your opinion of R2? (R squared, not R2)

DMorey: meh - directionally ok but use with caution

Hi, Mr. Morey. What basketball / sports teams did you grow up rooting for? Has your employment with the Rockets affected you as a fan of these teams? Thanks for doing this AMA.

DMorey: I grew up in Sharon Center, Ohio near Medina so I was massive Cleveland Cavaliers fan with Mark Price being my favorite all-time players by far. Needless to say I now longer root for the Cavaliers.

One Sunday Afternoon in 2010 I was at the Popeye's Chicken on Stella Link (since closed) near the YMCA and 5 minutes after I ordered some guy walked in with orange high-tops and NBA socks. The guy ordered a chicken tender meal and continued talking on the phone. He mentioned COBRA (the insurance thing) which perked my ears up then he said, "when there is a lockout I mean if there is a lock out." I looked up and thought, "Oh **** there's going to be a lock out and oh **** Daryl Morey is standing right in front of me." We both waited an inordinate amount of time and when they handed me my order you asked clearly miffed, "Why does he get his order; where is mine?" To which I though, "Oh **** Daryl Morey needs his chicken tendies better not say anything and just wait for a Reddit AMA." So as a chicken tender aficionado where are the best in Houston/America?

DMorey: I like Whataburger with their crazy good BBQ sauce. Or Cane's. I would never have said something like above but I might have given a look like James.

Are there any publicly available stats that can tell you if a player is a good defender?

DMorey: no

Daryl can you name my future son? Anytjing you want

DMorey: plznobamboozle

What's your favorite nickname? Darrell Murray (or some variant), Electric Eel, or something else?

DMorey: My nickname growing up was "Chops Jr" as my older brother was "Lance" so people called him "Lance Chops". Like "Lamb Chops". Clever, yes? This is the best they could do in Northeast Ohio. Anyway, since I was his younger brother I was "Chops Jr". Apology, I have to sign off. My comments aren't showing up and I am going to say something more dumb than usual because of it. I will set one up again before playoffs so we can do this right.

D-rock, BigMaloe, GIGO and 10 others like this.
  11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yes

BigShasta and DreamShook like this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Savage.

13. Roxs-Redemption

D-rock and TheRealAllpro like this.
  14. aroundtheblock2

I dont think he's actually answered any questions because of an issue with reddit.

15. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Something greasy for sure

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And JR outredditts redditt, thanks!

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he had double of what Keith Jones had

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I will be too busy to cooperate and I don’t really reddit either.

Can someone throw out this question for me?

Out of all the free public viewable stats and advanced metrics, (vorp, ws, ws/48, +/-, rpm, rapm, bpm, etc...) which one in your opinion is the best at accurately recognizing the best players?

Vivi and Nook like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I love Daryl.

However the guy doesn't look healthy and it has nothing to do with the fat jokes that are so played out.

He just looks like he doesn't sleep, doesn't exercise, doesn't eat well and is sick.

Someone at the Toyota Center needs to get him a trainer or nutritionist to follow him around so he can he do this for a long time.

Invisible Fan, Vivi, cheke64 and 3 others like this.