1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Freeways] They're moving I-45.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Apr 2, 2018.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

As if traffic wasn't bad enough.....they're moving the I-45 portion that runs through downtown to run parallel with 59 / Minute Maid Park / George R Brown / EaDo / BBVA Stadium. Also, all the freeways are going underground..... I wonder what they plan for the area for the Pierce Elevated

This is gonna be a cluster f@ck

What a waste of my life 1999 - 2003 was when they re-did the Pierce Elevated

http://abc13.com/traffic/i-45-is-moving-and-it-will-change-how-you-go-to-astros-games/3047540/

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This project alone has created a crazy real estate bubble in the affected areas.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Link?

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We just aren't gonna invest an any kind of train system. One f**king line along these freeway systems would work miracles.

But no, let's just keep expanding and expanding. As soon as one expansion is done, it's not adequate anymore and another is needed. What a racket.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Underground freeways for a city that's prone to flooding?

B-Bob, Jontro, AXG and 17 others like this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A highway system to support one trillion cars would do it.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'd hope these would be designed to catch flood waters. The important part, obviously, will be clearing the underground portion before the flooding begins.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Gotta keep Oil Companies in business!

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wasn't that area where the main shelter was during the hurricane? Guess it didn't flood.

10. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I'm really wondering WTF they are gonna do with the Pierce Elevated.

If they were to turn it into something like the High Line in NYC, that would be super cool. But knowing Houston, i could see it turn into the worlds largest homeless encampment

NYC's High Line: [​IMG]

KingCheetah, B-Bob and htownrox1 like this.
  11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Does this mean more traffic downtown? I'll be working there in a few months

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This section of freeway has long needed work and has been put off for decades because of the massive problems and cost - it has to be done, but will be huge big dig-like headache for a long time. Austin needs something similar for I-35, but who knows when they will finally bite the bullet.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Never. Austin won't do a f***ing thing. That's one of the reasons I wasn't disappointed to leave. The growth is unsustainable at the pace they're willing to add infrastructure. It's going to be a massive problem soon. Hell, it took something like 5 years to add 1 damn lane to MOPAC. What they would have to do to I-35 would never get approved in a vote.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

How long is this suppose to take?

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

So whenever someone brings up a subway system, people say that Houston's high water table makes it impossible. But I guess an underground freeway is no problem lol.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

No links, just what I'm hearing/seeing from some of my clients.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It isn't really underground like a subway is 100 feet underground. They are just looking to make the area more foot traffic friendly both in the south and by minute maid.

Nook likes this.
  18. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I think a subway and a road are completely different. Sure it'll cause traffic, but they can setup barriers for if it rains heavily and/or pumps for anything manageable.

Doesn't seem all that different than other stretches of 59 where it's essentially underground, just without a roof/cover. It'll probably flood under extreme circumstances, but if its extreme circumstances, people shouldn't be driving anywhere.

I'm more concerned with how long it'll take, what they do with the other section of 45, and if it will effect anyone's lunch plans if they're starting to work downtown.

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

There is nothing special about the Pierce Elevated. I hope they tear that **** down and sell the real estate. This High Line BS fantasy needs to be thrown out the window.

weakfromtoday and JuanValdez like this.
  20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

OKC moved I-40 within the last 20 years or so.