1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why no "White Panther"?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DarkHorse, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

The soliloquy
    Superior to haiku
    Now dance for me clowns

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Your posts come off like a drunk guy at the barbershop. Why don't you go start a thread on race, poverty, and education instead of continuing with this rambling ignorant nonsense.

pgabriel likes this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member

No growing black middle class neighborhoods but if they do grow it is 'white flight'

amirite?

When the irish used to move to london they went to maida vale where all the irish lived. When moroccans move to houston inevitably they will end up in meadowglen and westheimer area.

Its how these things work.

there are huge swaths of area that are near 100% black that were white. That have 'grown' and are middle class.

I will say doesnt fit cant acquit and you can say catchphrases like white flight.

I think alief is a perfect microcosm of what we are talking about. I havent been lately ( im white) yet seems to be going well for middle class black guy there .. Doesnt fit with the narrative of oppressed (still today) and needing a black superhero to save the world. Or in this case a modern day superhero named pgabriel.

If you want real talk I would be curious to hear why you think hastings and elsik are what they are today vs. 80s.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know what you're talking about. I do know anyone from 80s Houston knows Alief isn't as valuable as it was

Ask West Oak Mall

White flight happened to South Park Hiram Clarke Missouri City etc but it wasn't their achilles. Crack happened as well as integration

Edit: white flight happened to South Park Hiram Clarke Missouri City etc but it wasn't their achilles. Crack happened all across black middle class America.

Alief is more like Greenpoint just not as much of a decline but it's not what it started as

#184 pgabriel, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not downing Alief. I love it's diversity but it was wealthier. When I compare it to Greenspoint I'm just saying it wasn't a white suburb for a substantial time. Not talking about Greenspoint problems

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He has the nerve because that's exactly what you are. Obtuse.

#186 Deckard, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I liked the movie.

I don't see it as some huge political/social justice achievement but I'm white and I wasn't really looking for that in a movie... especially a comic book super hero movie.

I'm not going to tell somebody else that it isn't for them tho.

I will say that for a super hero movie I thought the acting was especially good.

I like dead pool as a social justice warrior myself.

cml750 and pgabriel like this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but this post is foolish. If problems exist in Chicago we can't acknowledge progress in an industry where progress had been lagging? I don't know how you are but most people I know are able to do both... They can celebrate an advancement and positive image upgrade as well as work toward improvements in the Chicago murder rate.

Also, you're wrong about the 99.9% not improving because of this. If portrayal on and off the screen of African-Americans in positive light setting an example can lead to more and more of this good publicity to help counter-act the decades of negative stereotyping then that affects an entire community.

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes, they've earned it. White directors with far less a track record of success have gotten bigger budgets. I only want equal opportunity based on a resume.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What do they need this money they aren't getting for

How have they been hampered. What do their movies lack because they aren't funded fairly supposedly?

12. IBTL

IBTL Member

Alief is a decent black middle class neighborhood. Not as nice as it was but it has allowed the black community to grow in the middle class. Isnt that a good thing?
    Nope. Lets only focus on the 'woe is me' type agenda and talk about west oaks mall. Lets talk about sharpstown mall first.

Apt complexes and mid 80s oil bust are what mainly happened to gunspoint btw.

I like the way it is now shifting to crack. Lets blame that.

Lots of excuses pgabriel *tsk tsk ..this topic has already moved the meter back to the yawn position for me. I was really hoping for more.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro I'm just being honest about the area. My comment about Weather Oaks isn't woe is me . It's reality

What do I have against Alief. Wouldn't give a damn either way.

The true stupidity is we are saying the same thing. It's not what it started as but has it's pluses

Relax with the set trippin

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

The hype is that it's a good movie.

Pull your head out of your ass.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If Rosa Parks directed a movie it would be Black Panther.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The ability to bring their movies to a wider audience. The ability to grow in their careers using different technologies that are not possible with limited budgets. The ability to have longer schedules for filming allowing all sorts of different benefits. The ability to increase their own salaries because the increased commercial success means higher payday. The ability to pay cast and crew more because of bigger budgets. The ability to win more awards due to studio support etc.

I'll let you research other details about budgeting and what money can be used for in film projects.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I was thinking along the lines of "Speed".

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Anybody else seeing nothing but Google ads for "white panther" dong enhancement pills?

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm not surprised that someone not acquainted to the intricacies of race and film would have such an notion.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Could be this one:

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 9.20.46 PM.jpg