1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why no "White Panther"?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DarkHorse, Mar 21, 2018.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not with equal support, financing, control etc.

2. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes, I would be interested in hearing what the real @pgabriel would have to say about this.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Eddie Murphy or John Singleton never got money or control to make movies they wanted?

Spike Lee's last five movies had financial problems?

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Over 500 a year are getting murdered in one city but I got the ranking of the year wrong

Good Lord

More young black men in Chicago will get murdered than make movies but we should strive for more movies

7. bobrek

You wrote Chicago had it's worst murder rate in years.

Their murder rate declined 15% so your post was again, demonstrably false. 650 is bad. That's all you had to say, but you chose to lie about it (or else just be willfully ignorant to the fact that the rate declined in 2017 and at this point in 2018 is set to decline again).

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And that mistake was you had to come back after your dramatic exit stage right equipped with soliloquy

Whatever you're obtuse

9. bobrek

You seem to be interested in 'progress'. 650 is bad...it's terrible, but a 15% decline shows progress. This year on pace to decline even more drastically. Current rate puts them in the 450 range. I doubt they will get to 0 anytime soon, but isn't a downward trend a good thing? Isn't that progress?

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Don't know how many black men were murdered in Chicago but I do know how much money Black Panther made

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

We will see if the progress continues. I hadn't updated my Chicago rate from the ridiculous first half pace of 2017

That does show progress but we aren't talking one or even five year phenomenon

Let's pray progress continues

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

"We" aren't focused on movies, you're focused on movies which is why you keep posting about it while I try to get you to post about real problems.

The movie is a milestone, literally. You post underscores how you don't know what words mean.

‘Black Panther’ has been passing box office milestones.

'Black Panther' becomes top grossing superhero film

Marvel’s new movie marks a major milestone

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Your statement supports my premise.

Singleton had a movie that was successful in spite of the lack of initial funding and support from the studio.

Eddie Murphy is an actor. Earlier you made a complaint about filmmakers. One actor getting a payday doesn't mean there isn't a lack of black filmmakers and studio support for their projects.

Spike Lee was successful initially as an independent filmmaker. He managed to learn and hone his craft based on education and arts funding. Then the studios funded him in minuscule amounts compared to white filmmakers who had brought in similar rates of return on initial investments. Yet he finished on time and on budget so they continued. They never gave him big publicity funding, big budgets, asked him to direct blockbusters etc.

So yes, these black filmmakers proved they could be successful, but still didn't get the same funding and support as less proven white filmmakers. Spike Lee eventually was doing DIY style projects because the studio didn't give him the budget/control he wanted and felt he had earned.

So you mentioned several proven black filmmakers and yet none of them had the opportunity and studio support to work on a blockbuster hyped film. Thank goodness this superhero movie sets a new milestone in a previously closed market.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@FranchiseBlade

Do you think Spike Lee Tyler Perry or whomever need more money for their movies?

I understand black actors want more diversity but that is a marketing issue as well

It's only so many movies

Rock and Kevin Hart are in a stupid ass redux right now before Panther. What's the problem?

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Seeing black people reaction over this movie ...including pgabriel..priceless

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@CometsWin and @FranchiseBlade

Y'all just ignored all those young men murdered to ram in my head how great this movie is

Making point for me

Don't you seeeee what Panther did

I don't care. We have black movies.

We should be celebrating the decline in the Chicago murder rate. I guarantee more people can talk facts about Black Panther and that's ridiculous

Good Lord. At least Bobrek acknowledged it. What's even worse is people charge racism or uncle thomasism when trying to talk about crime and race

And again I wouldn't care if people didn't wrap Al that talk up in a sense of racial achievement

Yes it's an achievement for those involved in the movie not for black folks. 99.9% black lives aren't improving cause of this movie

#177 pgabriel, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Anecdotally I disagree.

Semingly vast amounts of middle class white neighborhoods that are now predominately black middle class that were NOT before - alief, mission bend, westbury,sugarland, sw houston gessner to fondren to west bellfort. Ive failed to mention tons of other places where huge middle class black live like humble atacosita, nw houston, Fm 1960 and on and on. These have grown to full blown communities of middle class black.im forgetting tons.

All anecdotal but compared to 1970 black guy situation in houston ..we are talking night and day. Id say things are going pretty damn good for black guy/ girl in houston actually.

Progress is incremental.

Black middle class has seen a huge presence and uptick in houston in last 30-50 years. hard to say otherwise at least in houston and texas

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Humble and Pearland neighborhoods are nice. We will see if they last. Missouri City and other neighborhoods looked like them in the 80s

Alief is arguable.

The issue isn't starting, it's progressing. Regardless there isn't an argument Alief has declined but that includes white flight. Alief was a white suburb.

That being said there is nothing wrong with middle class blacks integrating neighborhoods. The goal should be everyone being able to live together anyway

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Fresno is a very nice black community so yes it isn't all negative. But i was really referring to areas that declined in the eighties.

That had a lot to do with crack and at least there doesn't seem to be anything like that lurking.

The reason I talk about these neighborhoods is because I know a lot of those families thought they escaped the problems of black poverty.

I think these new areas have stronger foundations.