1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[THE OFFICIAL] GARM Bad Post of The Week Competition Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeem94, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

A new nominee for this week.

2. basketballholic

Another broke daytrader.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That was one point you stressed though. I give you that.

hakeem94 and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. marky :)

marky :) Member

Conveniently left out the Ricky Rubio part though.

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  5. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Something something Yule C

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  6. Soneca

Soneca Member

I do remember, I intended that as a joke! My problem is with how you put things, not the opinion itself. You wrote it (and usually writes opinions) as they were facts, which is kinda funny.

You say "Maker's career will be better than Clint's". Well, it's - epistemologic - false, even if turns out to be - ontologic - true. The reason is straighforward: you simply can not know the future. This is not the proper place to discuss such things, so I apologize for the technicalities.

The thing is: when you project the future, I think you will eventually root for that things to become true. This is odd because you say things that should lead you to root against the success of the Rockets. For example: you'll be proved wrong if we win the ship this year with James "Pistol Pete" Harden as our primary ballhandler (which he undoubtly still is, even when sharing the court with CP3). What will you do, root for Paul to take the ball out of James' hands in the playoffs or for us to lose if we keep playing the way we're playing? Saying that James isn't our primary ballhandler won't make the cut, cause it's simply not true. The question is serious, though.

MVP4THREE and hakeem94 like this.
  7. basketballholic

True. I do write my opinions without writing "I think" or "in my opinion" a dozen times. I assume the posters here intuitively understand that we are all giving our opinions without us having to write it over and over. Is that really expecting too much of the average 5th grader?

#87 basketballholic, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You mofos want my buddy _holic's gems. c*m to me. I got them all. here is a sample. If you want more, you'll have pay some $$

But yeah context and more context my ass.

yet one is going to play a decent haul of minutes on a championship contender while the other is rotting somewhere in Europe. LMAO

arabrocket, Rashmon and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Ketchup&Mustard

Whether you agree with holic or not, this is true. Prefacing one's opinion with "I think" or "In my opinion" is unnecessary and redundant. Most of us learned this in elementary or middle school.

11. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Thon Maker was a hype pick based solely on his height and his alleged shooting stroke. What @basketballholic fails to factor into his assessment of Maker's skillset is his hand size. The reason Clint along with the likes of Jordan, Adams, Drummond, and formerly Dwight, are all great in the pick and roll is their big ol' pancake hands that allow for a far larger margin of error for both the passer and the recipient. Maker's hands were very small for a 7 footer, like Omer Asik, and for that reason he has trouble handling passes in traffic that aren't near-perfect. Combine that with a wiry frame and you have something closer to a Channing Frye than the "Giannis with a 3 pointer" that many scouts thought of him.

Funny thing is, the player selected one pick after Maker is another pseudo-stretch big, with far better handles, shooting, and P&R finishing ability: Domantas Sabonis.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

here's a hot take . . . in my opinion Thon Maker will have a better career than Omer Asik . . . in the future. get back to me then.

Nimo likes this.
  13. Soneca

Soneca Member

Well, it does make a difference, as you can see by several reactions to your opinions by people who studied way past the 5th grade, I suppose.

I'd say people would respect you more if you said "I think Maker's career will go down as better than Clint's". It's a very strange opinion to stand by in a Rockets forum, but, as goes the saying atributed to Oscar Wilde: I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.

When you simply say "Maker's career will be better than Clint's", well, can you not see how arrogant it sounds? It's highly unlikely Maker will be better than Capela, but will you root for that to happen? Or will you ignore facts if they prove you wrong, as you're doing by sticking to your opinion that Clint is a mediocre starting big? Too many questions, sorry, you have yet to answer the one I posted in the first message... :rolleyes:

#93 Soneca, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  14. basketballholic

Wiltjer is better than Anderson. Still.

15. basketballholic

LOL. I know all about his hand size. You're just repeating what other scouts wrote. After reading those same scouting reports I thought Maker was a hype pick myself. And then I started watching him play and studying his game and work ethic. And I changed my mind......shortly before the draft.

16. basketballholic

Did you graduate?

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

18. Soneca

Soneca Member

If I say that I'm currently doing my PhD, would you accept that my answer is "yes" or will you say that as I live in Brazil it's the equivalent as a 5th grade education in the US, therefore proving your point?

And you're running away from my point: when you make claims on future events, do you root for them to happen? We all know no one knows what Maker will eventualy turn to be, but it's clear now that Clint should stop progressing for Maker to have the slighest chance to get to his level. Are you rooting against Capela?

Even if "rooting" is a strong term, do you expect the Rockets not to win the 'ship this year (as Harden IS their primary ballhandler)?

PS: your opinion on the Rockets after Dwight left was clearly wrong, and it's not because the team ended up with 55 wins. You see Capela as a bad defender, which he is not. He wasn't a downgrade compared to Howard. Capela is a bit worse at protecting the him, even if the number say otherwise. But his ability to defend out at the perimeter makes him a much - let me say again, much - better team defender than Howard. Letting Howard go basically hurt our backup C spot, not our starting C as Capela was already clearly the better fit. Not only that, but letting Howard go would allow us to get a back up C and at least two FA, wich turned out to be Nene, Anderson and EGo. So, keeping Howard would have made us way worse; conversely, letting him go and having Capela as our starting C made our current championship caliber team possible. Your problem is that you still consider that your opinion was right at the time. In other words, you intend for people to take it as ontologically right, or, should I say, to be taken as a fact. You may believe otherwise, but it's just your tendency to ignore reality that's hurting your sociability.

19. basketballholic

When I make claims about player futures and they're bad, I vote we trade those players for the best possible value. When I make claims about player futures and they're good, I hope we either keep them or trade them for something even better.

The question was a yes/no question. Did you graduate? You wrote a page of text and didn't answer it.

20. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

It's alright man, we all know how stubborn you are but you'er embarrassing you'r self.

Soneca and ApacheWarrior like this.