1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons underestimating Morey and disrespecting Capela at the 2014 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Eddie Cecco, Mar 7, 2018.

1. basketballholic

1. Not a Capela hater. Your label means nothing.

2. I'm 50 years old and have played, coached, and followed the game of basketball for 44 years. Capela is NOT a great defender at this point in his career. And most likely will never be a great defender.

cerophilik likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

means plenty. anyone can just look at your capela posts from day 1. just a plain hater. and you've been wrong from day 1

who cares how old you are. that has no relevance whatsoever. if anything that probably just means thats how long you dont understand what defense is

3. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

If hollic is 50, how does he get up in the morning and just ignore the enormous shame on his shoulders from just being wrong all the damn time.

It’s gotta be a long play joke surely! Maybe a parody?

Could actually make a decent leather bound book cataloging all the hot take #YuleC “I’m smarter than everyone here and I know this for a fact” moments.

Clint Capela is a damn revelation and a critical piece to our championship dreams. Anything but a complete retraction of comments about how he will be complete trash and “can’t play” is just pure disregard for facts and blind ignorance. I was worried that he’d be a toothpick and forever unreliable in the NBA but he proved me and a lot of us here wrong.

You got to respect that kind of hard worker!

4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed, crow should have been eaten a long time ago. Capela still has room to improve as he is not perfect. (in best Hubie Brown voice) The amount of production he gives you from the 5 spot is huge on both ends of the floor.

If anyone disagrees with that then they are doubling down on their initial impressions/biases back in 2014 or not seeing the game clearly. When drafted I figured Capela would be a project that would most likely not work out but he very obviously has exceeded expectations. Hopefully all holic can say at this point is that Capela is NOT a great defender. Ok, fine, but at least admit he is a good player and a great fit for this team on both ends of the floor. We would be in a world of hurt without Capela.

5. alethios

alethios Member

Clint is only 23, going on 24. He still has room to grow as an offensive weapon and a serious defender. Like the saying goes, his ceiling is through the roof.

Fun fact - Clint's full name is Clint N'Dumba-Capela

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

:eek:

7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What do you think it means to be a hater? What definition do you have that doesn't make you a Capela hater?

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

_holic is 50 and I am 12. he is 4 times older than me but i know 4 times as much NBA basketball

Such a shame.

spark06 likes this.
  9. basketballholic

Hate is Ann emotion. A hater in this context is a person that wants Capela to fail. Period. Sorry, that's not me. I want every Rocket player to succeed while they play for us. And then after they leave the team I want them to play great against everybody else.......except us. I want them to be terrible when they play against us.

You see, I'm a homer.

10. spark06

spark06 Member

Clint is #2 in BPG. There is one player in the league topping that defensively and his name is Anthony Davis. Obviously Clint is already in elite company in this league and the fact that you talk about your age like that is supposed to prove you know the game is hilarious. You are the old man who wants Clint off his lawn.

11. vince

vince Member

When Clint started on the Rockets, he lacked conditioning. He wasn’t that strong either. He has built up his conditioning, and he has increased his strength. I remember him huffing and puffing, as he acclimated to the NBA speed. A credit to his work ethic to get to the level of conditioning he’s reached.

He still can get pushed around (but not as much as early in his career), but I think he is still getting stronger. I don’t know how much strength he can add on while maintaining his elite athleticism.

But I think he is still getting better, though he’s likely getting close to completed product. He is just such a great fit next to Harden and Paul.

MICHAEL W LAND likes this.
  12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

NBA fans have always had an issue with foreign born players who hadn't already made a name for themselves in an American college. I remember when the Mavericks were being ripped for picking up Dirk Nowitzki. Dirk freakin' Nowitzki. So yeah, a lot of people hated the Clint Capella pick. No surprise. People hated the Yao pick too. All those haters should feel stupid now.

da_juice and MICHAEL W LAND like this.
  13. Nero

Nero Member

Clint is smart, hungry, talented and coachable. And he has the hops of a gazelle, and has developed an ever-growing hoops IQ (inevitable after being the #1 weapon in Harden's arsenal, and from also being around CP3 and D'Antoni, not to mention all the other high-hoops-IQ guys on this team).

If he's smart (he is), then he should stay here as long as James and D'Antoni are here. If he were to leave chasing a bigger payday, he would very likely no longer be 'optimized' into an exact fit on a team like he is here.

Fit in the system and with your teammates is more important than checking off a bunch of arbitrary boxes, which is all 'hollic' is capable of doing.

Can you IMAGINE his impact on this team if he ever (I know I'm dreaming) develops a 3-pt shot? Hehehe that would be just plain unfair.

14. basketballholic

I am an old man. You are a punk. And you don't know basketball. Capela is NOT a great defender.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  15. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

You are an old punk, give it up.

spark06 likes this.
  16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

We should listen to him guys, he knows what he's talking about.

Especially when it comes to defense.

Yule-c, Yule-all-c come the playoffs when Zhou gets recalled from the G League to play important minutes defending Kevin Durant.

Because this old man knows one thing, Zhou is our designated Kevin Durant stopper this year.

RiceRockets and spark06 like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

bump. what a surprise. still no peep from the haters from supposedly "rockets fans"

RiceRockets likes this.
  18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Clint Capela’s was so good in that first half. That had to be his best half of basketball in his career. I loved that block shot on Towns, with the dunk going the other way. Play of the game.

19. spark06

spark06 Member

You ready to eat crow yet? :D:D "Most likely"?......Why are you trying to leave a safety net there for yourself when you've already crashed and burned? Capella is already a legitimate defender at the age of 23 and is still blossoming. He DOMINATED KAT, a premiere center in the league, last night and was second in the league in BPG. To say that he is incapable of being a great defender is absolute foolishness. His actions hold more weight than your words.

RiceRockets likes this.
  20. basketballholic

No. In not ready to eat crow. I saw nothing in Capela that I haven't seen before. Same weaknesses covered up by Harden and Paul. But will likely be exposed later in the playoffs for his below par defense.