1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we be worried about Harden's 3 point shooting?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by harold bingo, Mar 26, 2018.

1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ever since the all star game Harden's 3 has looked off to me. At first I though it was just a minor slump and he would snap out of it but it's been 16 games so far and hasn't improved, it actually seems to be getting worse. In the month of March he's shooting only 28%(!!) over 12 games, and since the all-star game he's shot 30.3% which is worrisome. I think it's been pretty overlooked because he's hit so many clutch 3s, but overall it has been a huge problem. I don't think the Rockets will do well in the playoffs with Harden shooting sub 30% from 3.

What do yall think? Something to worry about, or confident he will get it sorted out?

PeterKingX and Little Bit like this.
  2. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

No, he'll be fine. @vlaurelio come in here and take care of this doubter!

3. Red Nation RGV

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

A lot of that is the Rockets have not felt really challenged in most of these games. Harden, for whatever reason, has a tendency to play care free and take increasingly difficult 3-point shots out of of boredom when he feels like the challenge of NBA competition isn’t enough.

He will be more locked in when the playoffs roll around, I bet.

RyanB, Deuce, Snow Villiers and 6 others like this.
  5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I hope he gets all these misses out of his system before the playoffs start...I remember him shooting like sh*t in preseason, but he sorted it out and was having the best 3 point shooting season of his career until recently

this year, I want Harden to at least maintain his regular season efficiency in the playoffs...we can’t afford for his ISO efficiency and efficiency on stepback/off the dribble/contested threes to take a big hit

ak99999 and Stormy1234 like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo looked broken from 3 too but he's fine now. Health matters, physical and mental.

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Short Answer: No
    Long Answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ozzy, Rockets4Life13, RyanB and 8 others like this.
  10. Mr. Space City

slightly.

only because one of the noticeable difference between regular season harden and playoff harden is his 3pt% drops significantly

.278% from 3 in the playoffs last year and .310% from 3 the year before.

the 3 is a big part of his game and the rockets are gonna need that to be on if they want to win a championship.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If you want too
    I'm not

Rocket River

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

the media is right, lerbon deserves the mvp

RyanB likes this.
  13. bongman

bongman Member

WE ARE NOT THE worriers

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

15. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe I should have asked this question differently, because so far only @durvasa has given an explanation, so let me try that now.

For those of you who are NOT worried, why not? Is it possible he's still got that lingering hand injury? Do you think 16 games is enough to just shrug off? If 16 games is enough to warrant a bunch of eye rolling, how many games would it take for you to think something is wrong?

PeterKingX, The Hunted and Wylo like this.
  17. Wylo

Wylo Member

That's almost 20% of the regular season.. it's ridiculous to just 'shrug it off.' Especially considering Harden's history of bricking threes in the playoffs, and last year's debacle. Flaming out is a real issue with him, it's nothing to take lightly about.

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Do you know which teams we've beaten during this so-called poor shooting stretch of Harden's?

He's had his best games against our best opponents in March... His only problem right now is lack of motivation/focus. He'll be there in the playoffs.

My only concern with Harden is that the amount of 1-on-1 our offense runs has got to be tiring for him. But thankfully his minutes aren't *too* crazy this year, and he's getting some rest now before the playoffs.

harold bingo and BigMaloe like this.
  19. Chanmarr

Chanmarr Member

Harden was alone last year in the playoffs. For just about every playoff he’s had as a Rocket. Now he has help that he’s never had before. His playoff numbers should be much higher. As well as his endurance.

Houstunna, carib and BigMaloe like this.
  20. smp

smp Member

I've noticed that he plays well and then we get big leads and he starts making careless passes and loses focus. I also think about the game a few days ago that went into OT. He looked bad (by Harden standards) until OT and then he closed out the game.

That's why I'm not concerned. He's been clutch when it matters this year. I believe he will continue that in the playoffs.

#20 smp, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018