1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Cologne

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Dec 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Rox11

Rox11 Member

2. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Thanks fellas, good advice. I'll try that Sephora tip this week.

Looking for something for work, but am not against picking up a second scent for going out/night. I'd actually prefer having a scent for each occasion.

Also, CVS is having a 40% off sale on fragrances as a heads up!

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Actually, CVS had a hell of a sale on modern/expensive colognes like Aventus recently. You could get a 4oz bottle of Aventus on there for something like $250. I think the sale was a 40% off sale on colognes (like Rizzy mentions above). Places like TJ Maxx, Ross, CVS, etc. are great places to look for deals on good colognes every now-and-then.

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Sure you can probably get drakkar at costco by the vat. Water cooler size. For that matter it should be cool water for nostalgia sake.

Cologne is much like the airline industry.. used to be glamorous. Anyone who wishes to challenge that I ask to look to glen rice as a case study in refinery lol...but nowadays cologne isnt about the packaging.. or going all the way to nyc to get it at bloomingdales . now you go to your local cvs..
    because "anything else would be uncivilized"

[​IMG]

5. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

It's a good idea to have different ones for work/play, as you don't want anything too loud for a work environment, or too sweet on a hot day, whereas the opposite is what you want for a bar/club or night-time.

For work check out stuff like Dior Sauvage, Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Terre d'Hermes, Dior Homme Eau, AdG Profumo.

For night-time/going out, check out Spicebomb Extreme, Versace Eros, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, Armani Code Profumo, D&G The One EDP.

There's a ton more, but those recs are all things you can sample at Sephora. Good luck, it's a deep rabbit hole to go down!

Rizzy likes this.
  6. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

Just saw this thread and it's really cool to see so many others talking fragrances. I 'discovered' Aventus a couple of years ago and it's been my daily driver, for the most part. I've tried a couple of other Creed fragrances (I'll go with Himalaya just to change it up every once in a while..) but keep going back to Aventus for some reason.

7. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Welcome to the thread boyo. I hope you're not one of the Aventus batch nutsos lol.

8. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Thank you sir!

9. Buck Turgidson

Is it wrong that I still have the spray bottle of Eternity that my HS girlfriend gave me 25 years ago?

Obviously I don't use much. The name fits.

10. jlaw718

I know, right?! lol Apparently people get pretty serious about that whole batch issue lol

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That doesn't even begin to describe some of the cologne mafia. lol.

12. jlaw718

Man, that is so true. lol

13. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Have any of you tried the new Sauvage EDP? Different enough from the EDT to warrant a buy?

14. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Burberry Brit
    Versace Man

RasaqBoi likes this.
  15. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Creed Aventus

T/hread.

16. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Haven't tried that one. Hmm... love that bottle, though. It looks like the blue bottle is the weaker/cologne formulation -- does it smell better than the clear bottle? The original parfum concentration got good reviews. I love citrus fragrances.

** EDIT ** : Nevermind -- I think there's only one concentration of this one, but comes in 2 different sizes? It gets mixed reviews online from what I've read. Seems like people think Roja Dove tried to go a bit more mainstream with this one and it's pissing off people. Haha. Some say it smells like Aventus while others are saying it's nothing like it. I'll give it a try eventually. Just added it to my "try it out" list.

I finally broke down and bought Penhaligon's Opus 1870 and Castile (because I like the soapy smell... haha). Also did a blind buy on a cheapo : Oscar de la Renta's Gentleman because of the cool domino bottle and I heard it's a steal at $20 or so.

#457 Dr of Dunk, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    DudeWah likes this.
  18. body slam

body slam Member

I still got a almost full bottle of Safari that I got for my 16th birthday 25+ years ago.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

There's two concentrations. The reviews I read on fragrantica were mixed - some people liked the blue one more since it was fresher, and some liked the more concentrated clear bottle version since it's heavier in vetiver. I'm personally not a huge fan of vetiver so I think I'd like the blue bottle more. Actually blind bought a bottle yesterday - frangrancebuy.ca had them at a crazy sale price of $165 shipped. And yeah, the naming is indeed confusing... I don't believe it's actually an EdC. I'm guessing blue bottle is EdP and the other is Parfum.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The one in Germany.

DD

heypartner likes this.