1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could travel..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, Apr 13, 2012.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been to Taos to go skiing. I think it was the late 80's, so I probably have nothing valid to offer. I enjoyed it. The place at that time had the ski slopes plus a local hippy feel to the town. That was 3 decades ago, and I'm sure it's changed. I've driven through Sarasota so I don't have anything valid to offer there as well.

You are a much a much better well of information than I am.

2. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Go to both in one trip. Fly Icelandic Air to Norway and add a stopover in Iceland for a few days before continuing to Norway. No extra flight costs to get to go to both places.

3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Norway is awesome in summer time.
    The bergen area, fjords..man. Norway is high in my list.

Was having this conversation with co worker and my choice in usa is yosemite for prettiest place... yet still put norway and switzerland a tad higher than yosemite. Slightly below that is colorado alaska I suppose if we are talking mountains. Disclaimer I have not been to tetons or lake louise

4. hhh345

hhh345 Member

Me and some friends are planning on going to Norway next month. Is there any recommendations of things to do there?

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i did the "Norway in a Nutshell" daytrip, but it was a bit hurried. i think the most spectacular fjord there to visit is Geiranger, but you need at least a couple days then. Alesund further north is the most spectacular town

Nook likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

...back in Space and Time....I would.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This isn't probably very helpful, but I went to Trondheim. It is a beautiful city but in the winter the sun rises at 8 and sets at 4 and its super cold. Also everything is super expensive. Like McDonald is 20 bucks/person. A decent restaurant is 40. I good one is around 100. So my advice is if you want to save money is maybe take some protein bars or be ready to spend.

8. AB423

AB423 Member

Nicee.. I'm going there for 4 days next month to skydive and snowboard. Bring lots of CHF, its expensive there!

mrm32 likes this.
  9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Get outside of Zurich - Lucerne (Luzern) has a truly beautiful lake, as well as a lot to do like cable cars up mountains (Rigi and Pilatus). Don't go when it's too hot - many of the hotels don't have A/C. The hotel I stayed at was 700 euros/night and no A/C and I was there in September and it was hot in the room at night. June should be fine.

Try the local wine - it's dirt cheap and very good. It was a nice find, considering how expensive everything else is.

AroundTheWorld and mrm32 like this.
  10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

In April? Won't be ideal weather. I've been there twice, once in December and once in July. July is far better unless of course you're going snow skiing. The fjords are clearly the highlight. I found Oslo to be fairly boring, but a decent (but very expensive) nightlife.

The people are really great, though. They speak perfect English, which is really nice. Find a way to spend time with the locals somehow.

IBTL likes this.
  11. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Our plan is to just spend the last two nights in Zurich so we aren’t rushing to the airport. Want to see as much as the countryside and mountains as possible. Basically what people actually think of Switzerland when it’s be brought up.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on what you are looking for since it wont necessarily be to get laid or nightlife in norway ....although certainly you can find that too. There is some partying going on when you are there https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russefeiring

If you can swing jun 21 that is a good party too..

So the real reason to visit norway is its rural area and natural beauty. Its slow paced farms and just some of the best visuals one can buy.

Bergen is starting point. But you are not there for a town either. We went to osteroy personally but honestly once you start talking fjords and that area ..its all gorgeous territory. Voss as a town was nice trip from bergen. Geirranger fjord is the one in all the pics and fjord shots you see. You are looking at 8 plus hours from bergen or maybe 6 from trondheim..so some of of this shi**t can get pretty remote.. I cant say which one spot except to note its mostly all breathtaking. Its just such an amazingly beautiful place granted i was there a few weeeks in summer but great weather i imagine it can be pretty dreary and seattle like when it gets cold. It was always cold anyway to an extent since this is Scandinavia. You jump in that water cowboy. Colder than mfer.

Zermatt is the money shot in terms of swiss village. zermat is choice #1 and a slam dunk if you go here. Local swiss might argue somewhere else but i am giving you cliche and obvious but amazing.. You only go to zug for the po boxes. Evian is on another trip. Next time.

People might call it cliche too but I still love me some lauterbraunnen and some interlaken.

Top places on earth. If you are near i highly suggest.
    What did ferris say ...if you have the means it is so choice-

13. Buck Turgidson