1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why no "White Panther"?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DarkHorse, Mar 21, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I didn't say people shouldn't be happy. You need to put words in my mouth to argue

I said it's not a milestone and blacks acting as such is sad.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Hey pouhe

I know real educated blacks who think blacks are owed marvel comic starring roles

I didn't make that up

What the **** is my mid-life nonsense

You don't know me *******

Edit: my politics haven't changed in my mid-life and if they have what is wrong with people changing or better yet evolving

#82 pgabriel, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Old man? Twice? Why have you only recently started typing like that then?

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Old man

You really remember how I typed before I was banned five years ago

Why are you so interested in my posts. I appreciate attention and conversation but you are approaching obsession

I really would like to know what interests you

Also I know you are a moderate Republican. Why do you argue about blacks taking more responsibility?

I answer to your personal ****. Do me some Justice and answer that

I remember what I posted five years ago but not how I posted it

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I guess the old man is into the fake pgabriel nonsense

@realpgabriel

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He's letting Mr. Meowgi use his account again.

JeffB, B-Bob and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. bobrek

Your posting style has changed over the past week or so with your double spaced sentences. What is my obsession? I am not arguing about anyone taking more responsibility. Please point to a post where I have done that. Pretty sure you won’t find one. What I am posting about, especially in this thread, is that a movie like Black Panther that appeals to all regardless of racial barriers does indicate progress for blacks. If you can’t see that, well, there’s not much I can say.

8. bobrek

So, @pgabriel , here are a few posts from 2013 that show an entirely different writing style.

Jumping in on convo late, how can there not be an out clause when the two main products walk. In Houston can is much more valuable than LAN which is a dumb idea for different reasons. When ut is good the football team will be on enough nationally televised games to make the network worthless.

——————-
    i know what it is for me, the funny thing is i'm often reminded of it by television shows from that time. i left ut after three years, the following fall i didn't go to school, i was really depressed about not returning to austin. i could have but i kind of gave up as it was getting progressively worse for me as a student. i questioned my whole future.

then i started at ut that spring, and what a spring it was. i fully accepted being a uofh student, the atmosphere at uofh was a lot more college like than i thought. and the girls wearing their professional clothes on their way to or coming from work wasn't a bad thing AT ALL. i started making good grades and i had a great time.

i look forward to life now, i embrace getting older, but i really did enjoy those years.

——————-

not disputing anything in this post and its actually the first i've ever seriously considered practicing. Howeva, if you read the post about me blowing the opportunity that i started another thread about, sometimes especially in this job market its all about the perfect match. and the opportunity i blew, it was damn near it, it definitely was for the employer, and it was 90% perfect for me. when the opportunity is there you can't blow it.

but interviewing better would provide a few more offers i'm sure. sometimes i'm more qualified than the person hiring and i don't know how to get over that because that's almost always a deal killer i can tell even though they never will admit

———————

You seriously don’t see the difference? I have no reason to believe you are a different guy, but your writing style sure has changed.

JeffB, KingCheetah and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You've been fellating the worst presidential candidate and incumbent possible for the last year or so and are now pissing your pants about a comic book movie, while slandering the rest of your race to paper over your own regrets and insecurities.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The only thing I've said about Trump is he isn't a double agent rapist

The collusion talk is stupid

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So what? I have made the effort to post differently. You think you have figured the pgabriel mystery?

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What’s your fear here? Why are you so against black (and nonblack) viewing this as a milestone?

You hinted at supporting assimilation to the predominates culture... are you fearing that seeing this film as a milestone will strengthen the black identity, going further away from your view that black should assimilate ...?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are enough to take the helm at directing like the filmmaker of this movie has done.
    That's excellent evidence. I don't know how many people still needed convincing, but this does a nice job.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Either hacked/sold(?!) account or brain aneurysm/stroke. God bless in latter case. But the Evidence leaves little else plausible.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

pgabs falls in faint o_O

Fulgore likes this.
  16. bobrek

"Black Panther will likely translate to new opportunities for Coogler, co-screenwriter Joe Robert Cole, and the film’s stars, some of whom were relatively unknown, and those projects could then create more jobs for underrepresented people, Hunt added.

“You start to dismantle some of the obstacles to making these kinds of films.”

Jeff Bock, the senior box office analyst at Exhibitor Relations, said Black Panther is now in a special category with a handful of movies that dramatically dominated the industry and popular culture, such as Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET, Titanic and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Black Panther will have a long-term legacy, he added: “The weird fear that a predominantly African American cast couldn’t open a film has just been blasted out of the water, once and for all.”

If Coogler’s film encourages a boom in black cinema, the projects should extend across genres, said Nicol Turner Lee, a Brookings Institution fellow who has written about the film: “Black actors have been traditionally assigned roles that are not as representative of the full scope of their talent ... Black Panther showed the fluidity of black actors and what they can do.”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...ighest-grossing-ever-hollywood-diversity-bias

#noprogress
    #wastingpoliticalcapital
    #whatsthebigdeal

17. KingCheetah

The average black person in the US has seen this movie 6 times.

IBTL likes this.
  18. bobrek

What about the above average black person?

19. KingCheetah

Eight times.

B-Bob likes this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It's just a movie. I can't believe you would even challenge my contention it doesn't represent something larger