1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could travel..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Buck Turgidson

Colombia is fantastic, so is Panama - highly recommend - it's a shame Venezuela isn't.

2. Buck Turgidson

Love me some Argentina:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's about 10 different other regions there that are just as awesome. Texas on steroids.

#82 Buck Turgidson, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  3. Bob Barker 007

You cannot go wrong with South Sudan, Central African Republic, and Chad.

R0ckets03 and Nook like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So cool. It was always on my list of places to visit, but it just jumped up a few notches. That food looks amazing.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Caracas is a must see. I highly suggest just roaming the streets near Pentare.

San Salvador is another great spot as well.... and end your trip in Acapulco. Great place. I strongly suggest going on your own and back packing in the forest area off the highway at night.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Just for you...mas y mas y mas:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#87 Buck Turgidson, Mar 22, 2018
  8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Looks like when I do go, I'll have to make it a longer trip than I would have thought. It looks like there are a huge amount and variety of things to do.

9. Buck Turgidson

Like I said, there's a little bit of everything. Texas on steroids. Depending what time of year you're there, you'll need at least 2 weeks. Fly into Buenos Aires, spend 3 days there (nightlife, Recoleta Cemetery, other walkable big city stuff, like the market street that I cannot remember the name of) then head: South down the coast to Mar del Playa (or go up the coast to Uruguay, the beaches around Punta del Este, be sure and wear your sunglasses, esp if you're with your significant other, the scenery is top notch); NE to Iguazu (waterfalls and rainforest), NW to Salta (beautiful desert country), West-Central to Cordoba (beautiful town, old university, etc...great dove shooting); West to Mendoza (wine country and hills); SW to Bariloche (Mountains, Bavarian style, beer, skiing, trout/salmon fishing); if you're there longer then go down the Eastern coast to Puerto Madryn to see the whales & penguins and stuff and then hit Ushuaia at the bottom tip, take a day boat to Antarctica.

I'm sure I'm forgetting other cool stuff too, especially in and around BA.

That'll take you a month or so.

#89 Buck Turgidson, Mar 22, 2018
  10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Sounds like an amazing trip. I'm sure there are crowds, but it seems like some of the locations you mentioned might be able to be done without an overabundance of tourism overcrowding. It actually sounds like a nice mix of plenty of remote but also exciting city-life to make it a well-balanced trip.

Have you been multiple times? When was the last time you were there?

11. Buck Turgidson

You can spend an entire week in BA and you won't get bored, it's a lot like NYC or San Fran, lots of stuff to do and very walkable. It's really easy to travel around the country (depends on how much time/money you have, their buses are ridiculously nice, but there's plane options to anywhere). I always get stir crazy in a big city and need to get away, there's a ton of options in that regard.

Lived in Mar del Plata for most of '07. Got to travel around and see pretty much the whole country. Was there for a month a couple of years ago, plus random weeks here and there in '15-17.

Their government/economy is one of the most frustratingly inefficient corrupt things you'll ever see on god's green earth. Doesn't matter at all for a tourist (frankly, things have always been cheap as dirt), but that's why I've shied away from committing to buying anything down there.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I second the Argentina recommendation.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Did you say food?

Villa General Belgrano (German immigrants, Oktoberfest)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The greatest churros you will ever have in your life are in Puerto Madryn:
    [​IMG]

Very Italian heritage, so lots of cured meats and olives and charcuterie plates...the salmon and venison around Bariloche is amazingly good:[​IMG]

El Bolson, outside of Bariloche, is known for beer, other things too, but beer:
    [​IMG]

There are massive chocolate shops in Bariloche, like I said it's pretty much a South American Bavarian town, absolutely beautiful:
    [​IMG]

Lots of venison and boar and game up there, this is carpaccio.

[​IMG]

Mendoza:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#93 Buck Turgidson, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    peleincubus likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

This is the lomito completo, the typical sammich: steak, egg, ham, cheese, tomato, lettuce (chimichurri, avocado, roasted red peppers, onion as requested)
    [​IMG]

Drank an Andes the top of Cerro Aconcagua (highest point in South America):
    [​IMG]

The "picada" is a big thing, it's basically tapas, you have a hot and a cold portion served to the whole group as finger food, lots of meats, fried sardines/calimari, etc...
    [​IMG]

Proper parilla:

[​IMG]

Llama is actually pretty damn delicious:

[​IMG]

pippendagimp likes this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Holy cow! Thanks, @Buck Turgidson. We are just now moving into a new place, so I'm not sure when we'll be able to go, but I'm going to start laying the groundwork with the wife. That will be my number one travel destination now. If I can convince her to put it in the top 2 that will be huge. Your pictures and knowledge will definitely help.

16. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Kevooooo likes this.
  17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Going to Zurich for 8 days in June, any recommendations?

18. Buck Turgidson

Ask @AroundTheWorld. I think there was another longtime member who lived or lives there as well.

mrm32 likes this.
  19. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

The wife and I were just talking about maybe making Iceland our next destination. I also want to go to Norway. My folks went there about 15 years ago and LOVED it, but it ain't cheap. Eventually need to go to Scotland to finish up the UK.

20. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, you got my wanderlust and memories fully activated last night. I'm still working on a Vietnam trip as soon as my buddy in Sydney can get a couple of months free for a proper walkabout. I HIGHLY recommend Argentina. You and the missus would love it.

Anyone here ever been to Sarasota, FL or Taos NM? I've got amigos who moved to both places in the past couple of years and they're harassing the hell out of me to come visit.

Denmark is highly underrated as well. Always wanted to go to Iceland. Go do some recon for us.

FranchiseBlade likes this.