1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] Texans off-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...ndley-plays-the-more-his-trade-value-plummets
    Brett Hundley is very gettable according to this article last year.

How about the HOU 3rd Round 98th pick for Brett Hundley and GB 4th or 5th Round pick? Too little? Too much?

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

1. Watson
    2. Clowney
    3. Hopkins
    4. You can’t count Watt here anymore, he’s a question mark at this point.
    5. ...McKinney??
    6. ...

Serviceable guys include Bernardrick, Mercilus, Nick Martin, Reader, Cunningham, and Will Fuller. But as of right now it’s still presumptuous to say or roster is “stacked”.

3. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

coachbadlee and Bearius Jones like this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

He is now the packers 3rd string. A sixth rounder ought to do it.

macho GRANDE and Bearius Jones like this.
  5. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

I love hope people are giving up on watt. Like tgis dude didnt already go from delivering pizzas and walking on to 3 time dpoy and only person in nfl history with multiple 20+ sack seasons.

All reports are hes ahead of schedule, but i have no doubt hes capable of returning to a top DE in the league. I dare people to under estimate him more.

And 2 years..... thats it. Not every year, not coming out of college, just 2 years thst he has missed time. I mean its not like we have another dominate defender on our roster that spent a coupld years injured before becoming a nightmare for coordinators. (See clowney)

Two Sandwiches and Bearius Jones like this.
  6. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Fool's Gold? Why? Both are All-Pro and can be got if the Texans get aggressive now. Those two would improve this team's defense immensely. And they wouldn't have to worry about being one of the leaders. They can just play.

How many DT are better than Suh?
    How many CB are better than Gaines?

GM Gaine does have to prove he can draft. You are right on that. But so far he is doing a good job.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Unless you plan on spending more than $35M on Suh, Gaines, and a backup QB, cutting Kareem isn’t really necessary.

Also don’t think any team would defer their 2nd round pick a year for a 4th or a 6th pick alone. Can find immediate help with 2nd rounders, not so much in the 4th and later. I’m up for moving up though if an OT they like falls some.

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t think anyone is giving up on him but everyone pretty much knows he’s not going to be 20+ sack JJ again. If he gets double digit sacks I’m sure everyone would be happy with that.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Watt Led league in TFL’s before his injury. Not putting Watt on there is ridiculous.

Honey badger obviously.

Whitney...serviceable? God

10. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

You are probably right. Texans got plenty of those. Get er done Mor...I mean Gaine.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Good lord with the Pelicans shooting...it’s comical.

Fullcourt likes this.
  12. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Oh lots of people have written him off as injury prone and done. I have no clue if he will ever be what he was, but i wouldnt be suprised 2 years down the road if he was a dominant force again.

13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Dominant? Define dominant because Idk if he will be “dominant” ever again. He should still be an impact player though.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Gaines has missed 26 games the last 3 seasons. He’s very good when healthy but teams are obviously weary of that. For Suh, I’m getting a Mario Williams vibe.

But I’m board if the deals are in our favor. But Gaines has been pretty diligent so far, don’t think he needs to go all in this offseason. That has typically not worked out well for teams.

macho GRANDE and Bearius Jones like this.
  15. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Oh...well in that case keep Jackson. :p Unless we have too. :D

Thanks! I needed some perspective. So...how about a 2018 2nd for 2019 2nd and 2019 3rd?

Cool. Any OT on your radar?

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Is there a move Gaine could make that would get people to quit calling him Gaines? Would it take a Super Bowl or is that not even enough?

texian likes this.
  17. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

If E.J. Gaines got injured, knock on wood, on this team we would have CB depth since we are keeping Kareem Jackson. But players get injured. It's the name of the game.

Mario Williams was a beast.
    Ndamukong Suh is a beast.
    Comparison understandable.
    Hey...speaking of...let's take a flyer at Mario Williams for DE depth. Is he retired?

Roll the dice now for an elite defense. Watson will have to get paid eventually. Now is the time to use that money on talent, IMO.

18. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

If he signs Gaines, Gaine should just fill out the form for a legal name change

19. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Considering his knack for batting down passes and disrupting qbs (non sacks) i think he can still be that kind of distruptor. He affected offenses so many different ways.

Is it a lock? No
    Are the odds against him? Sure

But hes beat long shot odds before, and you already know his heart, will and drive will never stop. Not going to be easy, but i sure the hell wouldnt be suprised.

Edit - plus now that clowneys come into his own. Its not a one man show anymore

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Now about those weapons he promised for Watson...

Marty
    Ben Watson
    Luke Wilson
    Alfred Morris
    Adrian
    Demarco