1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons underestimating Morey and disrespecting Capela at the 2014 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Eddie Cecco, Mar 7, 2018.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

c LIN t

spark06 likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

True. But Dwight wouldn't be bullied down low like Capela is.

D-rock likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

in a way true but then again dwight would just pick up silly fouls or techs w/ drama so its kind of like take your pick.

Easy and Realjad like this.
  4. basketballholic

Those are legit points about his offense. Adams was so physical on him in tnt playoffs that he quit diving to the rim. The only thing worse was Westbrook bring a one-man show. That's why we beat them. Because Westbrook's suckage as worse than Capela's.

All those are legit points about him shrinking against physicality. It affects both ends. But specifically defensively....when you combine physicality with multiple continuous drives and cuts to the rim......he cannot handle the traffic flow.

If I were coaching an offense against us, I would design multiple cuts from every conceivable angle in quick continuous fashion. I wouldn't be looking to create threes. I'd be looking to get to the rim constantly and constantly mash our defense inside, running the clock, and pushing all of our defenders down into the paint and force us to defend the interior......while being very selective about what threes I took. I'd back screen Capela practically every possession. And I'd look to collapse all the space......not create it.

As far as your point about Anderson helping to "manage" our defensive interior because he will "alter" shots ............

#44 basketballholic, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Capela is going to be a All Star, his work ethic and Hustle, Heart, Desire, Passion for the Game. He is only 23 I know he is a raw shooter, but the guy is working with John Lucas on his 3 pointers and Free Throws, plus footwork.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Look only Olajuwon and Deke were one man defense machines around the basket. Clint does have to provide rim protection. He does that on some occasions, though he is capable of doing more than that. However paint defense has to be a team effort. I'm more concerned with his offensive limitations. Clint has upside on defense, he makes mistakes, but he does rotate nicely at times, and brings some rim protection at times. He can't be expected to score or to draw fouls, when the P/R and lobs are taken away. He should try to do his best on both ends, and at least grab more defensive rebounds against teams like OKC. This will give us more possessions to work with. Gradual improvement is possible. He can be a useful piece for the team in the playoffs. To expect anything more than that, is unrealistic.

7. j@amc

j@amc Member

Well, it's no longer easy to look back at the 2014 Draft because ESPN bought out DraftExpress. But my memory of the video is that Clint was a rising prospect. He was known to be a year away from coming to the NBA, but the talent was apparent. You can't be as successful in the Euroleague as Clint was and not have what it takes.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I seem to recall we did not want him here his rookie year but he insisted on signing, am I misremembering?

DD

9. spark06

spark06 Member

Anyone who thinks Capella NEEDS to be anything more than a role player for us is mistaken. The majority of the NBA is composed of role players so that is certainly not a knock on him. Capela's offensive rating is actually higher than Karl-Anthony Towns (an elite multi-tool offensive player who makes and creates offense for his team) so he actually doesn't need to change anything offensively to fit our team's identity. By no means am I suggesting that KAT is inferior to Capela offensively, but it's quite clear that a back-to-the-basket, low post, offensive big is not ideal for our system or today's NBA. The pace has picked up tremendously and, outside of Jokic, Embiid, KAT, AD & DeMarcus, you will find the list of "elite, multi-tool" centers to be basically non existent. He doesn't need to be elite defensively for this team to succeed, only serviceable. Clint does exactly what is asked of him and he's doing it at an extremely high level. You claimed the kid "can't play", yet he's #5 in BPG, #1 in field goal percentage, #3 in true shooting percentage, #5 in points in the paint, #2 in % of points in the paint, #7 in offensive rating, #6 in defensive rebound percentage, #6 in offensive rebound percentage. If we want to break it down to a positional ranking....#1 C in FG %. #4 in blocks. #5 in offensive rebounds. #7 in efficiency recap. #8 in rebounds. #9 in free throw attempts. #9 in points. #10 in defensive rebounds. #14 in steals. #15 in free throws made. #38 in assists. Only one player in the entire league (Drummond) has surpassed Clint's best rebounding game this season. Your "analysis" was way off and continues to be off. The kid is definitely an above average player in this league and looks to be one of the best at his position.

#49 spark06, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  10. spark06

spark06 Member

Is there no one else? ;):p

11. Tadow

Tadow Member

Clint is doing awesome this year because he's playing his ROLE and that's it, and he's doing a great job of it. I always wonder what would have happened for Dwight if he would have accepted this role.

12. rockets13champs

Not gonna lie but we should give credit to Dwight for Clint’s development

13. basketballholic

Capela needs to be a defensive stopper and upper crust rim protector for us to justify paying him big. He's a bargain at his current pay scale. He's a boat anchor on the cap on a big, long-term deal unless he really improves significantly on the defensive end. Not likely at this point.

14. spark06

spark06 Member

I'm not saying that Capella won't be overpaid at some point in his career. I'm saying that you were wrong about him from the moment he step foot on the court. He's defensively already one of the best in the league. Capella is no Ryan Anderson.

RiceRockets likes this.
  15. jayfree

jayfree Member

Can you imagine The Joker, Lebron "The King" James and Jarrett Jack on the same team. Talk about an Ace up their sleeve!

16. jayfree

jayfree Member

17. basketballholic

He is not a great defender. Sorry, you are wrong.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

for someone who tries to act like they're a great mind, you seriously have a huge issue on what actually happens on the court. either that or you really dont understand what defense is. as ive said, a capela hater from day 1 and still ongoing

spark06 and RiceRockets like this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Capela actually sat down for an interview with Jopat to discuss defense. It was in last week's newsletter. Eye opening stuff.

RiceRockets likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

is that when he told capela the rockets aren't happy with you and theyre trying to trade you. #yulec

RiceRockets likes this.