1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

just a question about FT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kyle7758521, Mar 7, 2018.

1. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

Clint is 1 of 7 from FT line.... Now it is really a concern of "hack a Cape" in the coming playoff games.

just a question, why the tall guys can't shoot FTs, it seems very common in the league. (Of course Yao Ming is quite an exception).
    To my understanding, the tall guys should have a better FT percentage, as they stand higher and closer to the basket.

it seems there is correlation between height and FT shooting percentage? can anyone explain what the mechanism this is all about??

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you're not known to be a jump shooter of some sort, of course you won't be able to shoot FT's. theres plenty of tall guys in the league who can shoot ft's. theres no correlation with just height itself

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Generally, the taller a player is, the less skilled they are. Why? Because they have less competition. There's far more 6'0'' than 7'0'' and size matters in sports.

Shooting, dribbling, and passing are all skills a taller player is less likely to have.
    ____

Hack-a-Clint will no doubt happen if he doesn't straighten up. Probably just a small cold streak.

AFS and da_juice like this.
  4. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

There ya go Clint.

5. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Yeah, there aren't alot of good 3PT shooters that are bad free throw shooters. Many prospects are judged by their FT% rather than their 3PT% on whether they will be good jump shooters (see: L. Ball)

If you have a bad FT%, your mechanics and your arm/body movement is off, if you have a good FT% and a bad 3PT% (D. Rose, R. Westbrook), then your timing on your jumpshot is pretty late/they just jump too high.

6. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

Knee jerk thread or reverse jinx thread?

dkim1984, Houstunna and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

the trend is that the taller the player is, the poorer FT shooting percentage, as you can see, most of the Centers in each team probably has the lowest in the team...

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

thats not a trend. thats just something youre wanting to make yourself believe. i could name plenty of bigs who arent bad ft's shooters

9. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

No blame on Clint, he is playing fantastic this season..

this is just a question...:p

10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Webber and Malone were horrible before working on it. Dream was a good free throw shooter as was Robinson, Smits, and Ewing if I recall correctly.

11. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

Ever heard of a guy named Yao Ming?

topfive likes this.
  12. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

I don’t understand the words coming out of your mouth.

13. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

i don't say all big guys can't shoot well FTs.. just tall guy tends to have a lower percentage of FTs..

i believe the theory from @Swiss Roll, that about the arm/body movement. Most of the time, big guys are working heavily in the paint area. they can have worse movement with arm and body.

14. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

not so big as yours though

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol no clue why youre trying to act like you made some discovery. its not that difficult. if you as a player primarily operate inside the box only, you probably arent that great of a ft shooter. height in itself has nothing to do with it

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

My opinion is the big hands. Most bigs use too much palms and not enough finger tip touch.

Try shooting a grapefruit with more palms than finger tips. Little to no touch and rotation.

ribbit likes this.
  17. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Kawhi Leonard, Boban Marjonovic, Steven Adams.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I’m not all bigs. Embiid, Yao, Olajuwon could shoot free throws.

Just saying the ones that don’t: Dwight Howard, Drummond, DeAndre Jordan, Shaq use too much palm of hands
    and tend to hit the rim hard, with no rotation. Like a thud......wet sponge. Olajuwon was not a good free throw
    shooter coming out of college. Olajuwon learned to use more finger tip control/ touch. Arch has a lot to do
    with it as well.

Many bigs shoot it flat. Anyone who shoots a basket on a line decrease the chances of it going in. With that
    comes lack of confidence.

Edited: Embiid can shoot 3’s. I’m not sure about FT’s

19. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I just listed those three because Leonard has the biggest hands of off anyone below 6' 10", and Boban has the largest hands in the NBA period.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

embiid shoots ft's perfectly fine

ApacheWarrior likes this.