1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Did you change your vote based on Russian Interference?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Feb 23, 2018.

?

Did you change your vote based on Russian Interference

Poll closed Mar 2, 2018.
  1. Yes, Russian trolls convinced me to vote for Trump

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No, I voted for the person I always planned to vote for

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I think mainstream media had a bigger impact. They had the polls with Hillary by a landslide so I am sure people stayed home.

If the election was declared fraudulent, what would be your next step?

cml750 likes this.
  2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I used a personal example because I suspect I am not the only person who knows somebody who now ignores most traditional (paid professional) media in favor of anything and everything that fits their biases.

You're comparing Facebook to the National Enquirer? Seriously? Facebook has nearly 2 billion users worldwide. The misinformation campaign is not unique to America. The entire point of my post is that Facebook provides a personal endorsement of news that outlets like the Enquirer lack. It's easy to dismiss the Enquirer because I know that they have been making up sensational stories for decades. Their reputation precedes them.

The issue with Facebook is that you can see someone you know recommending untrue stories day after day. If those stories follow an ideological line you're predisposed to agree with, you begin reinforcing it because your acquaintances are reinforcing it, too. To many people, their friends do not have the same incentive to lie that the National Enquirer does.

This isn't about rehashing the election. President Trump won. Both candidates were bad. I don't disagree with any of that.

However, your lack of concern about this subject is short-sighted. I believe that exposure to Russian social media misinformation campaigns probably reinforced directions that voters were already headed. I believe that a further dependence upon social media will continue to weaken the faith we have in our government and ourselves. Do you believe I am wrong in this?

Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense. I'm on my phone.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"Landslide? Most of the polls in the last week of October were within 5 points and closer, and some much closer:

http://www.newsweek.com/presidential-election-polls-october-30-2016-515091

The polls in the final week before the election were even closer. The IBD and LA Times polls both had trump winning.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/president/

The election results will not be declared "fraudulent". I think the bigger question is... if Mueller does show significant evidence that there was collusion between the trump campaign and Russia. Or if Mueller presents significant evidence of obstruction of justice, money laundering, emoluments violations, or other crimes?

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I will admit I wasn't surprised when he won. I watched a bunch of MSNBC leading up to the election and the vibe there was Hillary wouldn't really be challenged.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn't surprised? You probably pulled out the top shelf Miller High life beer and started shooting up in the air!

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, Moscow mules with troli candy.

Actually i woke up at 430 and drove to work.

7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It was clear that Trump had a chance for months before the election. No matter what happened, whether it was the Access Hollywood tape or a terrible debate, he never lost much ground in the polls. Perhaps the combination of few if any polls having Trump ahead plus the interference suppressed voter turnout. I doubt it, but either way, Trump doesn't win without Russian interference.

If the election is declared fraudulent, Trump would definitely be neutered politically for the rest of his presidency, probably impeached, and possibly face a life sentence in federal pound me in the ass prison.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If you spent the time to read Hilary's emails, you were not voting for her anyway.

The claim Russia helped decide the outcome is as stupid as the collusion investigation is just as stupid

cml750 likes this.
  9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Let me get this straight. Trump goes to prison because Russia interfered?

What shred of evidence has been proven this election has been fraudulent? Besides the blatant manipulation from the Hillary campaign to keep Bernie from ever having a chance? Or the media colluding with Hillarys campaign managers?

Skipping past the alleged discussions of Russia meddling, this has to do with Russia/Putins hate towards Hillary and little to do with Trump. If the DNC wasn't corrupt, they would have let Bernie have a fair chance and supported him over Hillary. Bernie would have trashed Trump in the general election.

The reality is Hillary was a despised candidate just as much as Trump was. As much as Bernie goes against main stream America ideology, he would have overwhelmingly defeated Trump.

The RNC screwed the pooch by allowing Trump to be elected, as they have for a couple decades now. The DNC doubled down on stupidity with Hillary. Stop blaming Russia. The people who were influenced over the alleged Russian ads were voting for Trump anyways.

For the life of me, I can't understand why the leftist refuse to hold their party responsible.

Astrodome likes this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

Am I seriously seeing people say this election may be declared fraudulent????????????????????????? OMG, you people are so caught up in your echo chamber you need to come up for air. Take a break from the media for a day or two and use your own brain for a change.

mick fry likes this.
  11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You're not following the bouncing ball here. I was asked what would happen if the election was declared fraudulent. In that case, I laid out the most probable outcomes, from most to least with prison being the least.

Fraudulent is the wrong word, but it was the most honest one I could think of.

That said, do you believe Russia interfered with election? If so, do you believe the interference was effective? If so, do you believe it could have turned the election?

Almost everyone is willing to answer yes to the first question. Second and third come with weight most aren't willing to carry. You guys on the right because y'all so badly want Trump's election to be legitimate. The left because they prefer a more rational wait and see approach to the investigation and/or they don't want to be wrong on the internet.

To your question, if anyone has kept up with the investigation and could still ask what shred of evidence there is that the election was a fraud, then they have a serious cognitive dissonance problem. One could believe that the evidence isn't strong enough to prove that the outcome of the election was changed, but saying that there is zero chance that could have happened is living in a fantasy.

So if I'm following you correctly, you're saying that Russia meddled in an election that was decided the moment Clinton was nominated? Russia just had to sit back and watch Trump win the election, but decided to meddle anyway because they hate Clinton so much? Russia invested so much time and money just to troll her and the US?

Rashmon likes this.
  12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

13. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Gosh, could we have 7 straight working days with a development released from the Muller investigation on Monday?

Trump's anxiety is clear. His full vindication from the Nunes memo was celebrated by shutting out the press and sneaking "out the back door" to get to Mar a Lago. The Schiff memo he goes to have his dumpster fireside chats with Fox where he tells "you know who" to investigate the Democrats.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... trump supporters story has evolved yet again:

Past stories:
    trump won fair and square
    collusion? there was no collusion
    collusion? collision is not against the law
    collusion? ok, maybe he did a little bit, but it didn't effect the election.

And now, collusion? ok, he did a lot, but it was the Democrats fault.

15. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

The swing voters is a thing. They dance wildly.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

So there was Russian interference in our Democratic election process?

Someone should probably investigate that...

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If you spent time reading stolen emails via Wikileaks you were engaging in the Russian influence campaign against Hillary.

You probably only read those emails because FoxNews and others told you they were salacious enough to care about and yes... you weren’t wanting to vote for Hillary anyways. That is sorta True.

But you are talking about people like yourself and Cml. You are not considering the 40% of Americans who called themselves independents last year. Of course it didn’t influence the hard right because they’d watch Alex Jones if it fit the narrative they wanted to hear about Hillary.

However there is a lot more people in this country than just Alex Jones/Hannity watching nutcases who are in Trumps hardcore base, and there are a lot of people who aren’t hyperventilating lefty liberal progressives.

For those in the middle, some of them do watch Fox so-called News unfortunately and use this app called Facebook. If you engage in that media it was impossible to avoid Russian influence in the coverage of Wikileaks and shared conspiracy theory that those users no doubt saw and it likely played into their exhaustion of Hillary leading to those important voters making some sort of decision in November 2016. Like voting for Jill Stein, or not showing up at all.

So again... yes it didn’t change your vote so you think it is a stupid investigation. However you don’t represent the 40% of Americans disconnected from the daily political details. It’s complete nonsense to say that it had no impact whatsoever and that we somehow shouldn’t be concerned with Russia or any country meddling in our election.

If you are really pushing this narrative along with cml and RL, you really deserve to be called out for putting Trump over country. It’s an extremely unpatriotic stance and should be called out as such.

Rashmon and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. mick fry

mick fry Member

It’s pretty silly, Russia interfered on both sides in order to divide and it worked. I’m already calling for an investigation next election, Media/Dem collusion.

cml750 likes this.
  19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Which interference are you referring to? Be specific.
    I believe the campaign on Facebook and Twitter had little impact on the election. This wasn't a close election as some will try to have you believe. It was an election full of misinformation.

The revelation to the Podesta emails were huge and absolutely had a significant impact. However this is not a court of law and nobody is being tried in a criminal case, so the means of how this information was collected is irrelevant. The fact is there is proof of unethical behavior by the DNC. You don't get to strike this from the public record because the DNC is not authorize its release. Its pretty disgusting the left continues to detract from this revelation by bringing up Russia in response, as if its Russias fault for the DNC acting in an unethical manner.

If Trump was proactively complicit with any form of interference from anyone, not just Russia, then yes, he should face the consequences. This goes for any politician.

If there is no evidence, then its time to just move on from this nonsense. This is not the first time nor the last time a foreign power has meddled in our election in some form or fashion. And we surely wont stop meddling in others.

The best course of action is to put competent politicians on the tickets, not spill bitter tears because our team didnt win.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I didn't read those emails

I know Hilary from the nineties and so do you

Minds were made up long before meddling.

The other stupid thing about the claim is the overwhelming amount of voters vote the same party every election. 2016 was more of the same