1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

School shooting - at least 5 dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 22, 2016.

1. marky :)

marky :) Member

I'm not against lengthening the wait times or improving background checks. But the article headline you posted was for "assault weapons". Not talking about handguns but AR15's like what the shooter in Florida used.

A lengthy waiting period to get an AR15 wouldn't have prevented this mass shooting if this was in place before the shooting and I don't think it would prevent any in the future. That's why I brought up the "red flag law", that could of prevented this particular shooting in Florida but that's conjecture.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So it appears we agree that ALL guns (handguns, rifles) go through waiting periods and improved background checks. And that they have a national standard (to prevent someone from one state go to a neighboring state with no or less waiting period/background checks). Again, that's why I said it was a good start.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

One thing that bothers me is that every time politicians try to push new gun legislation through congress (and usually fail), people freak out and buy up all the ammo and stock up on guns. These failed attempts to pass pointless legislation has the side effect of flooding the market with even more guns.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think most of us can all agree that the second amendment has failed due to the consequences of having 300 million firearms in circulation resulting God knows how many that are unregistered and in the hands of people who shouldn't be anywhere near one.

5. NewRoxFan

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clownshoes is in favor of more restrictive voter ID laws, when the evidence of voter fraud caused by pretending to be someone else is almost nonexistent. Yet he goes to the fainting couch when people propose additional restrictions on gun ownership because their sick of people being mowed down in mass. Something that actually happens in our country with appalling regularity His logic has zero relationship to what is effective or what policies address real problems. This is how we know he is a clown.

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Is our President playing golf today?

On the day of a memorial for a slaughtered high schooler, is our President golfing in Florida?

Yes or no?
    just need the facts.

8. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

If you don't ID people how can you possibly know if they are pretending to be somebody else? I know it's off topic but I was just wondering.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You oppose having to show ID when you vote claiming that it would be too unfair a burden and would restrict voting rights, but don't have a problem requiring ID to purchase a firearm even though by that same logic it would be an unfair burden that would be a restriction of your rights....

Try to stay logically consistent.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You did not offend me and I apologize for name calling. I have zero problem with listening to different views, but sometimes your posts are meant to trigger and I fell for it this time. I only got upset because I don't think you are troll like RussiaLegend or some of the other dorks on here that play a character.

11. NewRoxFan

12. NewRoxFan

Sanders says Trump wasn't blaming Florida shooting on FBI Russia investigation
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/20/politics/fbi-florida-shooter-russia-investigation/index.html

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And even more off-topic... an ID isn't that persuasive anymore. With the hack and leak of nearly everyone, the number of ID theft has jumped to a record 15.4 million Americans in 2016. The trend isn't good. We need a new system; just another problem that our government is slow to react to.

If someone really want to steal an election, they can pay massive number of people and provide fake ID to vote. But that's not happening. It's doesn't scale well (making fake ID scale well, but buying people votes does not scale) and the ROI is nil. Which is why voter fraud is so low to non-existence (yea, fake news!)

But we do know that many of these ID laws are designed to reduce voter turn out. That's suppression of voters is simply anti-democratic.

Anyway, way off topic...

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

One week ago... 17 people killed, 17 families devastated, thousands of kids traumatized, a whole community changed...

Just another day in America...

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What are the odds that the Sander's "walk back" get reversed by The Donald?

16. NewRoxFan

I think its the usual white house pattern... he says something douche-ey and then she re-spins it. Then he goes back to the douche statement.

FranchiseBlade and No Worries like this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The greatest and best red meat for the core base. Soften message for the not-so-informed public.

18. NewRoxFan

Moorey wades in...

Hakeemtheking and Amiga like this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Shut up and dribble you MIT grad who's expertise is in statstical analysis.

At this rate, will there be a single conservative Rockets or NBA fan in general?

I've never seen a league so united in their social and poltical ideology.

20. conquistador#11

Morley holds gms at gun point and now he wants to preach non violence? Who the F does he think he is with that hipocrisy and why do I get squiggly line under HIPOCRISY, I went to the best schools.

JumpMan likes this.