1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popovich - "we live in a racist country that hasn’t figured it out yet”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ipaman, Feb 12, 2018.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Perspective is all I am pointing out, look at this from a distance and the situation in this country is not nearly as bad as we might think, of course we need more progress, but I believe that will be done over time as each up coming generation is less racist than the previous ones, just look at the history of this country.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What we have progress to is, our society no longer tolerate outright racism. That's huge progress. But, starting with Obama and continuing with Trump, there has been a step back, or a realization that that unacceptable behavior isn't as universal as we thought it was. It's not a surprise given the short history of the US, but is a surprise to those that have wishful thinking on how much progress we have made. Still, by large, society do not tolerate overt racism.

The next level of racism hasn't progress as much, is much harder to continue to progress and isn't a given that it will happen. While we know, understand and agree that overt racism is wrong, it's at an intellectual and conscious level. Many of us don't yet feel that way. We are not going to discriminate on purpose, but we still hold negative feeling and beliefs toward certain minority groups. Under situation where there is no clear choices, that feeling and beliefs will lead to discrimination. But because that is at an unconscious level, while discrimination will occur and do occur, we can, without careful inspection, deny that discrimination did occur. Breaking through this is much harder, especially when (1) on the surface, there are seemingly legitimate observations to reinforce these feeling and beliefs and (2) these minorities group are being attacked by leaders.

I'm an optimist and believe we will progress and get through the current bump.

3. Exiled

Exiled Member

If someone felt that Popvich is publicly talking about him, maybe it's a good time for that person to look in the mirrors.

to me ,I see Popvich breaches Defense, you counterpart exaggerated fictional claim with exaggerated facts

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Privilege is a result of the choices of family members before you, all privilege indicates is what leeway you'll get when it comes to your own life choices. If your family is incredibly wealthy, you can afford to make a few more bad life choices and end up doing fine, if your family is poor, you can't afford to make bad life decisions if you want to end up doing fine. Has nothing to do with race though.

A privileged black child can afford to make more bad life choices than a poor white child can. While that's not equal, it's very much fair.

5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

cml750 likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

7. pirc1

I am guessing it is the point that children born to single parent homes are more likely to repeat the cycle and contribute to welfare population.

cml750 likes this.
  8. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

diversity's can be a pain the ass sometime... that's what's triggering racism. People are tired of tolerating other kinds and unwilling to assimilate.

9. pirc1

So there was no racism back in the days of good old 50s? Diversity can be over done, but it is not the trigger of racism.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

People are inherently tribal animals. In group. Out group.

We are also processing machines. The faster we can process something, the better. The quicker I can determine if someone is friend, foe, or neither, the better off I am.

This stuff is hardwired into us. It served its purpose for eons before we found ourselves here. These are just evolutionary leftovers we're dealing with.

Understanding this is critical. It's also critical to understand that legislating away racism is a pretty bad idea in practice.

Kevooooo likes this.
  11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I need my moral lectures from experts on these topics like basketball coaches and actors/Hollywood types. Yes, that's exactly what I need. /sarcasm

Pop, you're virtue signalling. We get it.

Racism is bad- we all agree.

12. TheresTheDagger

Thanks for responding. Appreciate the take.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

So when a white man's family members in the past were able to profit off of the enslaved Africans, therefore creating familial generational wealth that you are now privileged by, that has nothing to do with race? Did black families get the same privilege?

Heck, how about simply being able to own property which can therefore be passed through generations, which represents a key source of wealth for most Americans? How long ago did black people get to legally own property vs. white people?

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean we can extend this all they way as recent as the god damn 60s. Generation after generation of black kids went into segregated **** funded schools and were purposefully funnelled into less educational and housing oppurtunities. The effects of that passes down generation to generation.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much a stupid argument, I'm sure you could find an incredibly small number of people who are still coasting on wealth generated over 150 years ago, and then you might still be left with a few people in that group that directly benefited from slavery.....but hopefully even someone as limited as yourself would get that those incredibly few people don't represent a sample worth mentioning.

When you look at nearly everyone today, their current situations have nothing at all to do with slavery. I mean, I get why some unsuccessful black people would want to use that kind of BS as an excuse for their failure and the failure of their parents, but that kind of excuse falls flat with just about anyone that has a fully functional brain.

cml750 likes this.
  16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Slavery is a single example of the total oppression of black people since they were brought to America. Black people came to America in the 1800s. They were LEGALLY OPPRESSED until the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It's been 74 years since LEGAL oppression ended. The lineage of most black people is OPPRESSION.

Oppression across generations degrades values and leads to unfortunate consequences. Everything I've said so far is facts. Furthermore, oppression didn't end in 1964. The official government policy of oppression ended, but if you think that people who were accustomed to reaping the benefits all to themselves were going to voluntarily relinquish that advantage for black people, then you are as dumb as I know you are.

You can't argue that socioeconomic status is why inequality exists today, while ignoring how that socioeconomic gap came to existence in the first place. Oppression is the single biggest reason that there is a wealth difference between whites and blacks.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the most successful blacks in the world are American

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

I don’t think this country is racist. I think it goes beyond the color of someone’s skin.

This is a socioeconomic issue. There will always be racial issues as long as black people remain poor and don’t go to college to get a good job and better themselves.

Many people, regardless of race, whether they’re white, Asian, Hispanic view black people as beneath them, like they’re at the bottom of the totem pole.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bobby has openly refused to believe accepted studies. He prefers his own reality which isn't backed by studies, evidence or any of that. It is pointless to discuss the issue with him.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's a very old example that is not relevant in any way today. You can argue that oppression 50+ years ago was a thing, and I'm sure it was to some extent, but that's still not relevant today. It's just not a good excuse for the foolish life choices that lead to generational poverty....and make no mistake, that's why it exists today, it's not due to the oppression of ancestors.

Find a better excuse because it's just not going to fly. Whether you like it or not, black people today (and for many, many years now) have agency and thus responsibility for their own actions. When it comes to the single biggest reason that there is a wealth difference between black people and literally everyone else, it has to do with life choices.

cml750 likes this.