1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 4th jersey is Chinese New Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Dec 10, 2017.

1. malakas

malakas Member

I am a foreigner so I am more neutral but if I was houstonian I would be absolutely insulted.
    This jersey instead of representing unity and identity it symbolises exclusion and greed.

"This is the jersey for the city of Houston. Nevermind that almost all the people of Houston can't even read the letters of the jersey, it trully shows what Houston represents to the world"

BamBam, RasaqBoi, Rocket_ph and 8 others like this.
  2. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Well said

3. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Well, at least we're no longer doing the Taco Bell version of a cash grab on the largest ethnic group in Houston with a "Los Rockets" jersey.

Bo6, aroundtheblock2 and napalm06 like this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

As someone who has complained more than once about these jerseys I think their explanation is fair and I’ll accept that the city jersey is the black one. Fine.

That said, I liked when we pulled out that sleeved Chinese jersey a few years back for Chinese New Years and a few other games but to have this represent the Rockets as one of our main 4 is just dumb.

It’s either laziness by Nike or by the Rockets neither of which makes any sense considering they have full time marketing dedicated to this kind of thing. Tilman’s kids better be pushing to have a new set next season.

Anyways nothing like winning a championship to get new uniforms. Or wait maybe not.

5. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Bro the black are cool but nothing compares to 94-95 jerseys. AmIright @tinman ? And the clutch city sleeves are slightly better too

ghettocheeze, tinman and Roc Paint like this.
  6. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

The city jersey should be in no way the black one??????? This is CLUTCH CITY??????? How does any of our jerseys represent that??? Makes no sense

ghettocheeze and Roc Paint like this.
  7. koby1868

koby1868 Member

When I saw some of the other city jerseys I was pumped because I figured we would have some modern version of the clutch city jersey.... pure disappointment. It would have no question been a 100% purchase but I wouldn’t touch this jersey. We have the worst one... fix it Next year Rockets!

8. smp

smp Member

Very well said. I can't read Chinese but hopefully that says "Greedy old white b*stard who doesn't give a damn about Houston".

9. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I understand they want to keep their Chinese fans.. but for this be called a "city" jersey is crazy.

10. AshtonB28

AshtonB28 Member

some of our fellow brethren cannot read or do not pay attention to detail... in the tweet in an earlier page it clearly says the rockets wanted the black jersey to be the “city jersey” but they wanted to wear it earlier so they designated the chinese jersey as the city jersey :rolleyes:

macho GRANDE likes this.
  11. aroundtheblock2

In all seriousness, what is the boost in exposure the Rockets get from using Chinese characters? I feel like China only cares about whoever is good for the most part. They only liked the Rockets because of Yao in the beginning, but since he's not here anymore it seems as if they just roll with the best teams like Kobe and the Lakers 6-7 years ago, or most recently the Warriors with Curry.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t assume everyone here is from Houston and knows where Kemah is

RasaqBoi, smp and Snow Villiers like this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude
    Let me tell you about Rockets history.
    Before Les bought the team, it was owned by a Texan named Charlie Thomas. The year Les Alexander bought the Rockets, we won a title with the previous regimes players and general manager.
    Les wanted to monetize the Rockets. After the second championship, he changed the classic red and yellow to pinstripes and a dildo in blue. He’s a from New York.
    He wanted a new stadium for hockey and basketball and to get corporate business from suites.
    He did that.
    The lottery hit when we drafted Yao.
    Suddenly we changed our uniforms to red, China red.
    He went all in with China because of the money.

14. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I'm fine with the black ones being our statement jerseys.

I don't necessarily mind a Chinese one to kind of rep our Asian fans and Chinese following... I just hate how its a carbon copy of our road ones. Look at what GS did with theirs. I would've wanted some Clutch City Yellow instead of silver and additional designs on it. Its so lazy as is.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

At least les only had that attitude with merchandising and service. We could be the Texans with a mediocre product and no accountability.

Those rockets dildo jerseys should be buried with his mountain of money. Real trying times rocking that **** outside Houston.

tinman likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Les really screwed the rockets up in terms of tradition . Red nation even sounds Chinese.
    Before Yao it was dildo pinstripes because Les wasn’t down with Yellow and Red.

He totally changed the colors. If it weren’t for Yao we still would have those jerseys.
    100% sure

hvic likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Really appreciate this clarification from @The Cat.

Shouldn't get caught up in "city" jersey "naming convention." Might as well call them Jersey 1, Jersey 2, Jersey 3 and Jersey 4.

Rockets (players) clearly wanted to Black ones early and that's what they did. I love the black ones. Glad they are in the rotation.

You can quibble on if the black ones should have been ketchup and mustard but the team/players wanted black.

As for having a Chinese jersey, I don't like it, but I understand the business on if. I think most people wouldn't care that much if the MAIN RED jersey said "Houston" on it and was ketchup and mustard.

macho GRANDE and D-rock like this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Why complain when the Rockets get better rating in China at 5am than in Houston on a Tuesday night prime time?

Ya'll hate capitalism that much huh you commies.

D-rock likes this.
  19. hvic

hvic Member

I want to see if Tillman will step up and make a change or will be cow and just followed what Les already established

RasaqBoi and tinman like this.
  20. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

edit: sorry read it wrong lol

#80 khanhdum, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018