1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Mutual Interest between Joe Johnson and Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 2, 2018.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

of course its fake. obviously his source is not windhorst or else we woudl have tweets from windhorst

D-rock likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He just misquoted windhorst. Windhorst did in fact say the word is that Joe Johnson is Houston bound.

D-rock likes this.
  4. justtxyank

Let's say a player has $5 million owed to him the rest of the season.

As far as a team's cap is concerned, if they release him he still counts the full salary on their cap. However, as part of his buyout he has agreed to give up some portion of that $5 million, potentially all of it. So from the releasing team's perspective, their hard cost went down. For cap calculation purposes they may owe him that $5 million, but they don't need to actually pay it. Saves the owners a little bit of money.

If another team DID claim the guy off of waivers, then it would no longer count on the team's cap and the buyout reduction would still exist.

forchette49 likes this.
  5. roswell raygun

Johnson's salary is fully guaranteed, so if the Kings just waive him, they would still have to pay him the pro-rated amount for the rest of the season (roughly a third of his $10.5 million). They can lessen that figure through a buyout, but Johnson's contract would remain in effect for any team that claims him off waivers. Once he passes through waivers, he becomes a free agent and can negotiate a new deal with any team.

forchette49 likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

F You Mannix!!!

7. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

We can take JJ off list now.

8. macan

macan Member

bye bye iso joe

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Couldn’t we just waive somebody to add him?

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Knew we wouldn’t sign him, he wants minutes and MDA won’t give him that.

11. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

We can let go of Williams still, but I think we need another ball handler. Maybe Joe could be that guy?

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

No ones an idiot. Just consistently feel that Rynos contract is tough to trade and that there are a lot of fake sources we shouldn’t trust.
    Just cuz I don’t think we can move Rynos contract doesn’t mean I’m being negative. You just read it that way cuz maybe it’s not what you want to hear. I for one am super happy we kept Ryno. We’re playing amazing this year and this is our best chance at a title in a very long time. I would not want to mess with the team make up.

Also LOVE the Brandan Wright pick up. Always liked his game, and one of two pieces we needed. Hopefully Joe Johnson is the other. But I’m not going to say it’s done just cuz of a random twitter account. But you can jump the gun and call me lame. No sweat.

D-rock likes this.
  13. justtxyank

What does trading Ryno's contract have to do with Joe Johnson? You jumped in to point out that people were again being homers for believing a Windhorst report about Joe Johnson lol.

J.R. likes this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

You said I’m always being negative so I’m assuming you did not enjoy that I kept re-iterating we weren’t getting Melo in the summer (hence Ryno) You’re the one that made this into more than just one point and now you couldn’t make that connection? You’re special...not lame

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

DonKnock, hakeem94 and Vivi like this.
  17. mockster

mockster Member

Very possible. Black and Williams are all easy cuts for better players

D-rock likes this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Not only did we sign Brendan Wright, but "Brendan" is also reporting on news about Rockets' signings? Wright is helping us recruit!!

Scarface281, D-rock and Zboy like this.
  19. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Morey is going all in THIS SEASON!:eek:

D-rock likes this.
  20. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

is this really true?