1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets waiting to see if Lakers waive Brook Lopez

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jan 25, 2018.

1. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Unrelated to Brook but I need my @cyberx or @ch44 fix...

6 days left

D-rock, seeingredtx and Little Bit like this.
  2. basketballholic

I think if we get Lopez that we will probably see some dual big lineups with Lopez and Capela together. Sounds crazy. But I can see the possibility against certain teams of having Capela defend the 4 and Lopez the 5. Capela is a much, much better defender roaming around and switching when he's got a huge presence behind him defensively. And Brook, for all his lack of rebounding is a great defensive paint presence. He alters a ton of shots with his extreme length.

Offensively, Lopez would be a skills upgrade from Anderson at the 4 while Capela runs pick and roll in the middle. Not to mention the myriad of post action MDA could design with Brook out there.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Not seeing Lopez as a rim protector. I think he's unfairly tagged as a bad defender due to his slowness, but he's not a great defender by any means. He's middle of the road at best.

napalm06, D-rock and seeingredtx like this.
  4. basketballholic

His length changes the trajectory of a lot of shots in the paint. That's his defensive value. His presence substantially lowers the opponents FG%.

5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I don't know how to get accurate stats for this season, but in '15-'16 he allowed 47% in the paint. That's mediocre. Not awful, but not really "rim protection." It puts him in the middle of the pack - again, that's better than most people consider him.

D-rock likes this.
  6. basketballholic

Actually.....47% in the paint is a defensive win.

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

At best, it's slightly above average, and it ignores the fact that outside of the paint he's going to get torched.

8. basketballholic

He's a role player. Won't work on every matchup. Could be very useful against the Spurs though for example, teams that go inside a lot and aren't great three point shooters.

#168 basketballholic, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Won't disagree with you there. I think he could be a plus. He's better than Tarik Black.

j@amc and ak99999 like this.
  10. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I think people know he isn't a rim protector. He is a guy who can score from the perimeter . An offensive prowess.I'd rather trade for him using Anderson and some draft picks for cap space savings.

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He's shooting 31% from deep, I would never trade Anderson for him straight up. And I am 100% for trading Anderson.

ak99999 and D-rock like this.
  12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would just to get Anderson's salary off the books. Anderson is worth 10 million, not 20.

bilaal14 and basketballholic like this.
  13. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

It still hurts you in the short term if you don't get a rotation player back. I don't see Lopez as a rotation player against GS, and right now that's all that matters.

If we make that trade, there has to be another to acquire a rotation player.

ak99999 and D-rock like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

What are we gonna do with another 6'11 softy? ;)
    32% career 3pt shooter?

ak99999, Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  15. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

That’s really sad.

ak99999 likes this.
  16. ch44

ch44 Member

I think we are more likely to see his brother change teams at the deadline. Bulls seem to be very actively trying to get rid of him.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rather have Speights over Brook.

bulkatron likes this.
  18. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I don’t know he’s a total zero on D... at this point it’s gotta be someone who Moves the needle against GSW. A salary dump doesn’t help us this year and we have a chance.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

It’s called basketball, not reboundball

bilaal14 likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah he's a horrific rebounder, his brother is pretty bad as well (defensive rebounding). Must run in the family.

He is a good shotblocker despite his major rebounding problems... But that being said like JR mentions he isn't even shooting it well this season, not sure his mediocre shooting makes up for his rebounding.... Might rather have Bogut.