1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Wash Post]: Democrats’ behavior at the State of the Union was embarrassing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 31, 2018.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have considered the Trump campaign paying off a p*rn star in 2016 to be silent about a prior Trump extra-marital affair.
    I have considered Trump calling Haiti and African countries s-holes.
    etc.

Trump is his own worst enemy.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So please elaborate why we should arbitrarily respect the office without merit?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't agree, I think they made themselves look bad. It was an unforced error.

cml750 and mick fry like this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nobody has conisdered that because we have the weakest President in modern history whose own staff and children deem a semi-literate idiot, see Fire & Fury.

(Note, this is because he is a semi-literate idiot)

5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No, you have it backwards: we have that high a level of respect for the office.

Again, it isn't the person, it is the office.
    I'm not particularly enamored with Trump...wasn't my choice, and I didn't feel much better about him being elected than I would have had it been Hillary. But you can't look at the fairly consistent liberal response ever since and wonder why there is a categorization of 'butthurt'. Maybe that's not really the right term, maybe it's more shock, dismay, or some other emotion. But it has been excessively present since the election. to the point where it wouldn't matter much what Trump did, or didn't do...it wasn't going to chance that perception.

deadlybulb and TheresTheDagger like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think they still believe the childish temper tantrum nonsense they are pulling is a winner because it plays well for the most extreme parts of their base....if it backfires and the midterms don't play out they way they expect them to perhaps we'll see a change from them and a shift away from the extreme left. We'll see.

TheresTheDagger, cml750 and mick fry like this.
  7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Doubtful. It’s funny though how if you don’t go off the rails and back their rediculous views then you voted for trump as if they had something better to offer.

cml750 likes this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yep, more of the same.
    Just note: demonizing the minority, opposition party instead of our real challenges and external enemies, including one who did its best to subvert our democratic elections. Yes, America, sure... the enemy is within and the enemy is ... you guessed it -- libruls!

Expect Two Scoops TV (Fox) to keep ramping up the vitriol against any perceived slight from the out-of-power party. This is all leading up to trying to hold absolute power in the midterms.

JayGoogle and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Usually people are butthurt when a man who started is political career calling our former President a foreign born Kenyian is our President. We have President whose level of discourse cannot exceed the level of a adolescent having tantrums on the YouTube comment section.

You nor anyone else in this thread has answered my question regarding why we should arbitrarily respect the office without merit.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's just where they are right now, either you are an extremist like them or they see you as a "Trump fan" and they can't comprehend anything in between. It's understandable given that you come up with stupidity like that when you are doing your "thinking" with your emotions.

TheresTheDagger, mick fry and cml750 like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You are seriously delusional, with all due respect.

12. TheresTheDagger

deadlybulb and cml750 like this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Yea and guess what, there is already at least other threads about that so why don't you go post over there. This thread is about democrats.

14. ipaman

so you want d&d to be left wing only. hot take bro.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I may have said 'respect the office, not the man' when Obama was in office. I see I had not thought deeply on that concept. If the Trump Administration has shown my anything, I've seen that you cannot divorce the man from the office. I have no respect for Trump, so I have no respect for the President. That's just how it is. So, to anyone I dismissed for not respecting the office of the presidency when Obama held it, I apologize. Your hatred for Obama still strikes me as deeply irrational, though the other thing the Trump presidency has taught me is how deeply effed up the right is -- it is much worse than I had imagined, which brings the irrational hatred of Obama into perspective. Congresspeople have a job to do, so it's different from me as a private citizen. They have to think of political relationships, PR, negotiations, getting re-elected, etc. But me as a private citizen? I would not stand, I would not clap, I would not shake his hand, I would not cross the street to piss on Trump if he was on fire. 'Respecting the office' is a made up thing. 'Fear the office' might be a better description.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yea, it's tough. I fundamentally don't think he respects other human beings. I don't think he respects the American people, at all. He doesn't seem to respect Congress. We know he doesn't respect women. I don't think he respects the office of the president in general, in terms of behavioral standards, leading by example, and its moral authority, (see: having little problem inciting the galling rise in hate crimes).

So it's not clear how we can send any respect in return. Just my two cents. Why would someone do that? I can respect conservatives with whom I disagree on a number of issues. But me disrespecting Two Scoops is a separate thing. I hope they get that, through all the Fox/Faux outrage.

17. Buck Turgidson

His ego doesn't even allow the concept of "respect" to seep in.

I've voted Republican before, conservative theory makes some sense at times, just like liberalism does, but watching people defend this guy is just galling.

The spineless "...but Hillary", "ha ha liberal tears" crew is especially loathsome. They don't care about the country, they only care about WINNING, they're just playing a game.

18. ipaman

Interesting that the solution is to act like Trump because Trump acts like Trump. Well he did it first... Bunch of children.

deadlybulb likes this.
  19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Ya, its hard. Good to see that there are those on the left that feel this way too. FWIW...there are participants here with whom you can have a worthy discourse. You just have sort through the chaff.

The 'Ignore Member' function seems to help tremendously in this regard.

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Actually, while this criticism has been valid on many occasions, he certainly acted Presidential during the SOTU, and he has done so on other occasions as well
    Agree...meaning they are doing the exact same things they criticize Trump for doing. Ironic and hypocritic, no? But then if it weren't for irony and hypocrisy, there wouldn't be anything left in politics